View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
dptOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 30.06.2011, 18:20

Quote:
Yep, my mistake.
Greetings,
Chris

Maybe we could have stopped after this.
and the following perhaps avoided.

Quote:
slam:
I would have thought that as you made a public defamation of xetaprime then you should give a public apology.

Unpleasant disccussions should (my opinion) be closed at the first available oprtunity to improve the atmosphere.

Reply with quote Back to top
xetaprimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 30.06.2011, 21:58

My ears are burning, again Rolling Eyes

clubexOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 30.06.2011, 22:29

dpt:
But you have merely started the discussion up again.

Anyway you cannot solve a problem by pulling the blinds and pretending the noise outside doesn't exist.

aptosid by it's very nature will attract volatile, intelligent people and therefore if we don't treat each other with decency and respect animosity will arise again and again.

aptosid is a great distro and I for one want to see it's membership grow and thrive. But that isn't going to happen if we continue to treat each other as we do at present. Curtailing discussion in pretence that everything is fine and dandy solves nothing.

xetaprimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 30.06.2011, 23:59

This is all very interesting really. If you hire someone to drive you to the airport and their attitude is off, or they rub you the wrong way, it doesn't mean the car isn't functioning correctly or the roads are bad. You'll take another car on another road but you probably will choose a different driver.

If someone leaves a forum saying they've been here a while and they are sad to go because of such and such- maybe someone should listen instead of letting in on them. This thread would have gone nowhere if everyone had simply said- sorry to hear that- best wishes and maybe, those mentioned or not, paid attention because it is a sign. People don't leave or threaten to leave when they are happy.

I worked as a bartender for ten years in a Nightclub. You learn quickly that if you want tips and business you have to treat customers well- even when they spit in your face. If not, they won't return and the place will be empty.

If people leave maybe the 'team' should read their comments and take head. What good is a distribution without it's members. To raise the car analogy again- what good is a Mercedes if no one is driving it?

Best wishes,
Xeta

piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 01.07.2011, 01:00

First of all, no-one gets hired or paid here, so you can't use that "hire to drive" second, if the people don't like how it is done here, move on, we do things the debian way

It is that simple

distrowatch means nothing, 0 nada (ubuntu is #1, I wouldn't let my best enemy install it)

Funny that people think distrowatch is so important

We do the things we can that best supports a rolling release, not debian stable, ubuntu, etc

By the way, I would take a Jeep (aptosid) over a Merc (ubuntu) (based on distrowatch) anyday, and I did (+ I really do own a jeep)

In the end, it is YOUR system, install what you want, just remember, we don't support outside of debian

That is as clear as I can make it, if people want to leave because of it, so be it

How an operating system can be supported with so many 3rd party apps to actually pinpoint what is wrong, what broke what, how & why, makes no sense

I remember people left because a certain script was no longer supported

That IMHO was the funniest thing I have seen in linux since 1998

xetaprimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 01.07.2011, 01:42

@piper
      Quote:
First of all, no-one gets hired or paid here, so you can't use that "hire to drive" second, if the people don't like how it is done here, move on, we do things the debian way

It is that simple

That's kinda funny- you don't get it. I did use it so you can't say I can't use it- cause, I did. And I think the point is clear- regardless of 'payments' or not. And saying if you aint happy seeya! is sad.

Quote:
distrowatch means nothing, 0 nada (ubuntu is #1, I wouldn't let my best enemy install it)

Funny that people think distrowatch is so important

Wow. I love Distrowatch. It's how I learned about sidux and aptosid and xandros and turbo linux and Mepis and on and on up to today. I don't bow down to it however.

Quote:
We do the things we can that best supports a rolling release, not debian stable, ubuntu, etc

Maybe you're rolling releasing members too? I don't think anyone in this thread has criticized aptosid the system.

Quote:
By the way, I would take a Jeep (aptosid) over a Merc (ubuntu) (based on distrowatch) anyday, and I did (+ I really do own a jeep)

Heh, I was saying that even if you have the best system, what good is it if people aren't using it Shocked Jeep, Mercedes- pick a car- that wasn't my underlying message.

Quote:
In the end, it is YOUR system, install what you want, just remember, we don't support outside of debian

What does this comment have to do with this thread?

Quote:
That is as clear as I can make it, if people want to leave because of it, so be it

That's pretty clear and again I say kinda sad. Ooh another analogy- you're a really good cook and you make this really delicious buffet but you've pushed all your friends away. So be it.

Quote:
I remember people left because a certain script was no longer supported

That IMHO was the funniest thing I have seen in linux since 1998

Rolling Eyes

piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 01.07.2011, 01:47

The very first post explains all

tr0nic wrote:
What has happened to aptosid/sidux/"whatever name fits best to the very awesome *censored*" is really making me sad, but confirms what I've been seeing throughout the last few months, well, even years.

I shall refrain from commenting this any further. Everything has been said.
This thread will be locked anyway.
Please delete my account.

Rest in peace.

A fellow follower since early Kanotix days.

t.

The *censored* is a filter for certain software we don't support

The *censored* explains .........

xetaprimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 01.07.2011, 01:53

Understood. Sorry about that one.

Wait, did you censor it? and by support do you mean discourage? Are people not allowed to use certain words? Maybe you could pm it to me so I don't make the same mistake.

piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 01.07.2011, 02:04

xetaprime wrote:
Understood. Sorry about that one.

Wait, did you censor it? and by support do you mean discourage? Are people not allowed to use certain words? Maybe you could pm it to me so I don't make the same mistake.

No problem Smile you haven't been here long, most of these people have been here since kanotix/sidux days and some (including me) since knoppix, we have not changed (installing 3rd party, etc) since then.

Majority are the same people bitching over and over and over and over and over and over ........

That is sad

piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 01.07.2011, 02:06

I did not censor, the forum software did

The laws in Germany are strict and the software that most people bitch about is illegal in 98% of the world anyways

You may google to see the very few countries it is not illegal in

We follow The Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG)

xetaprimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 01.07.2011, 02:13

Okay, thanx.

muchan
Post subject:   PostPosted: 01.07.2011, 07:53

I think the forum software on server replaces the disallowed word with the link to the page which explains the reason why. So I assumed that the OP (tr0nic) intentionally wrote it to mimic as if his word was censored by the software or by the moderators.

{ tested, that script name is not among the disallowed words... }

FOr the record, We had an open discussion about forum policy here, before the problem happened:
http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphp ... c&t=50

deachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 01.07.2011, 12:46

This is very very simple. Now listen closely...If you do not like the way it's done here, leave. Find the other distro that floats your boat. Go to the #1 distro on distrowatch....LOL Some of us with older hardware have been down that road already and guess what??? Didn't work. I been around since sidux and absolutely nothing has changed. Those that came before me can tell you it was the same before that. Since 2007 I've hunted for "the" distro and I'm still here. Now then, on to my audio problem ...............

xetaprimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 01.07.2011, 14:36

@deach and others who say
      Quote:
If you do not like the way it's done here, leave.

imo, saying the line above is one of the most unfriendly things that can be said in a forum. I've heard it plenty of times- not to me necessarily, in some of the food forums I've been in when a member has questions or comments that don't jive in some way and I find it a bit offensive. If a member is clearly trolling, that's another matter. I know and understand it can be difficult when members whine or bring up the same issue again and again or leave the forum posting a complaint that starts a thread like this one but that's the nature of the beast.

How about this and ask- "Why don't you like the way things are done here?"

fo·rum/ˈfôrəm/Noun
1. A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Forums are global, yes. But nobody's perfect. Maybe you should make this an invitation only site and then you can indeed develop further this cult-ish whatever it is thing going on.

Sincerely,
Xeta

Last edited by xetaprime on 01.07.2011, 18:21; edited 1 time in total

clubexOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 01.07.2011, 15:32

Quote:

@deach and others who say
Quote:
If you do not like the way it's done here, leave.

imo, saying the line above is one of the most unfriendly things that can be said in a forum. I've heard it plenty of times- not to me necessarily, in some of the food forums I've been in when a member has questions or comments that don't jive in some way and I find it a bit offensive. It a member is clearly trolling, that's another matter. I know and understand it can be difficult when members whine or bring up the same issue again and again or leave the forum posting a complaint that starts a thread like this one but that's the nature of the beast.

How about this and ask- "Why don't you like the way things are done here?"

+1

You should check out the Scribus mailing lists for a couple of months. The same questions come up several times a month mostly from lazy Windows users. Some questions are so simple you wonder how people posting them ever manage to get up in the morning. And yet in all the years I have used Scribus I have rarely seen the members or the devs lose their cool and slag each other off.

Deach's personal comments and the comments of others in a similar vein are so counter-productive. You get someone angry so he starts complaining and you both achieve diddly squat. What a waste of time and energy which could be better spent in solving problems or gaining/providing information. Do you people never learn anything?

I would like to say more but I'm afraid I'm starting to lose my temper.

Jump to: