View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
titanOffline
Post subject: Vfat flash drive and permissions  PostPosted: 28.06.2011, 19:08

I have a Garmin 705 gps for using on my bike. I plug in the usb lead and it loads as a flash drive, I can only copy files from it, for the last year this is all I have previously needed to do. Now though I want to delete a corrupt file and I can't do it. All the files are owned by the user and I have tried to change permissions both as user and root. A bit of Googling seems to show Linux permissions do not apply to vfat so is there anyway for me to delete these files other than spend two hours putting a virtual version of windows back on my machine.

Reply with quote Back to top
kris99Offline
Post subject: RE: Vfat flash drive and permissions  PostPosted: 28.06.2011, 20:01

There are several tools you can give a try: 'dosfstools' which contains a dos filesystem check utility, 'fatattr' to handle FAT attributes, 'fusefat' maybe you can use this tool to edit the FAT. If you don't know in FAT deleting a file is only the change of the first letter of the filename to 0xE5. IIRC on Dos this was the character 'little sigma'.

If this doesn't help have a look on http://www.dfsee.com/dfsee/index.php

Hope this helps

Kris

titanOffline
Post subject: RE: Vfat flash drive and permissions  PostPosted: 29.06.2011, 14:50

Thanks Kris, I tried fatattr and fusefat but I was still unable to delete the file I thought was corrupt. The problem was that subsequent rides were now not showing in the history folder. In the end I deleted the whole ride that included the one corrupt file on the unit (not with pc) and when I plugged it back in to the PC all the missing rides appeared. I think long term I will put a virtual XP back on my machine.

alexkOffline
Post subject: RE: Vfat flash drive and permissions  PostPosted: 30.06.2011, 14:15

Maybe examine, after connecting the gps, the output of the following commands? It's almost like the device has a read-only switch.
      Code:
dmesg | tail -30
/sbin/sfdisk -Vl
cat /etc/mtab

titanOffline
Post subject: RE: Vfat flash drive and permissions  PostPosted: 30.06.2011, 18:38

Nothing says read only.

dptOffline
Post subject: RE: Vfat flash drive and permissions  PostPosted: 30.06.2011, 19:08

Move and delete.

Jump to: