View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
arwaOffline
Post subject: Should I run upgrade-from-grub-legacy?  PostPosted: 20.09.2010, 09:10

Hello,
in a dist-upgrade last week grub2 came in and was configured to chainload the old grub1. Everything was fine, the rebooting did work.

Today I made another dist-upgrade and grub-pc (aka grub2) asked me where to install itself to. I did choose the MBR of my hard disc. Everything was fine, the rebooting did work again.

No I wonder if I still should execute upgrade-from-grub-legacy? (I did not yet.) The script looks like cleaning up old grub-configs?

Reply with quote Back to top
devilOffline
Post subject: RE: Should I run upgrade-from-grub-legacy?  PostPosted: 20.09.2010, 09:14

yes, the script finalizes the grub2 installation. the chainload mode you are using is just a intermediate phase to secure, everything boots as it should. if that is the case, as seems for you, you should run it.

greetz
devil

broweOffline
Post subject: RE: Should I run upgrade-from-grub-legacy?  PostPosted: 20.09.2010, 17:29

After the system is confirmed working after 'upgrade-from-grub-legacy' are there any files / cruft that should be manually cleaned from the system?

devilOffline
Post subject: RE: Should I run upgrade-from-grub-legacy?  PostPosted: 20.09.2010, 18:01

all remains from grub-legacy have been removed on all systems here.

greetz
devil

arwaOffline
Post subject: RE: Should I run upgrade-from-grub-legacy?  PostPosted: 22.09.2010, 08:24

Did run the script and everything is still working. *phuu*

Jump to: