View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
gutterslobOffline
15 Post subject: [Solved] libasound2 dist-upgrade kills alsaequal  PostPosted: 22.07.2011, 02:35

Today's d-u upgraded libasound2 and other "**********" related libs (yes, I censored the dreaded m word manually). Me, being the ignorant fool that I am, decided to go through with it despite apt showing that it would remove libasound2-plugin-equal (alsaequal), the plugin that gives me system-wide equalization.

Anyways, after the d-u, as expected my sound dies, so I revert my ~/.mpdconf (mpd+ ncmpcpp is my audio player) to an old setting and delete my ~/.asoundrc and I eventually get back audio.

Only problem is that I now have effectively no equalization and am experiencing severe ear-rape from all the sharpness.

Attempting to reinstall libasound2-plugin-equal gives this, as expected:
      Code:
root@sid:/home/geezer# apt-get install libasound2-plugin-equal
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libasound2-plugin-equal : Depends: libasound2 (> 1.0.18)
E: Broken packages

So, any news on an updated libasound2-plugin-equal package in the works? It's not something I'd expect Debian devs/maintaineers to give much attention to (heck, it only made its way to Sid repos a few months ago, even though it's been out for years). Does anyone know of any workaround I can use to get back equalization in mpd+ncmpcpp? (I refuse to use other players, so don't suggest that).

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

P.S,
Admins, Mods & Dictators; I posted this here as it was a result of a dist-upgrade. Feel free to move it to a relevant thread if you feel this is the wrong place.

Last edited by gutterslob on 28.07.2011, 11:11; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: libasound2 dist-upgrade kills alsaequal  PostPosted: 22.07.2011, 06:44
Team Member

See this bugreport: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=635005

So a simple recompile doesn't work here, the install path of the plugin files need to be changed. The reporting alsa-lib maintainer promised to do a NMU (non-maintainer-upload) "soon" if the maintainer doesn't react. So your best bet is to subscribe to the bug and wait for the upload.

Best regards,
one of your beloved mods/dictators/team-members Wink

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: RE: libasound2 dist-upgrade kills alsaequal  PostPosted: 22.07.2011, 17:08

According th the bug report you should be able to move the alsa plugins to the appropriate arch directory from the old location as a workaround till the fixed packages arrive:

Quote:

Hi,

alsa-lib will imminently switch to Multiarch, and plugins will move from
/usr/lib/alsa-lib to /usr/lib/<triplet>/alsa-lib, which means alsaequal
will be unusable as soon as this happens.

As alsaequal uses a static makefile, I guess the easiest way to do this
will be to just move the generated plugin to the correct location after
the makefile installs it to the old /usr/lib/alsa-lib dir, overriding the
install rule.

gutterslobOffline
Post subject: RE: libasound2 dist-upgrade kills alsaequal  PostPosted: 23.07.2011, 03:48

@DonKult
Thanks for the response and for linking the bug report. I guess it's best to sit back and wait it out right now.

@DeepDayze
Yeah, I figured I'd try that, but I currently don't have an alsa-lib folder. Guessing it probably got removed during the said d-u. Or maybe apt puts it in a different place compared to the source makefile. Either way, I'll wait it out a few days over the alsa-lib transition preiod, and then see what I can do. If the package doesn't get updated (either officially or NMU), then I'll probably install from source and move alsa-lib as stated in the report. Thanks.

Will update this thread when/if progress is made on the matter.

gutterslobOffline
Post subject: RE: libasound2 dist-upgrade kills alsaequal  PostPosted: 28.07.2011, 11:16

Update:
As listed in the bugreport, an updated version of libasound2-plugin-equal was put up today. Just installed it and I now have equalization again.

Much thanks for your time.

Cheers~

broweOffline
Post subject: RE: libasound2 dist-upgrade kills alsaequal  PostPosted: 28.07.2011, 13:40

Recently I installed pulseaudio since one program I was installing required it. I haven't noticed any lag or deterioration of sound. Perhaps pulseaudio could be an option for you as well. Supposedly there is lower latentcy in ALSA, but it's not something that I can notice or even measure. If anyone has some insight into this, please add your comments.

Jump to: