View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
TrekenOffline
Post subject: [Q]remastersys for aptosid?  PostPosted: 07.08.2011, 01:31

I found this: http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphp ... emastersys and will see if I can solve issue from there. I usualy always use the search feature :-/

Reply with quote Back to top
slamOffline
Post subject: RE: [Q]remastersys for aptosid?  PostPosted: 07.08.2011, 07:53
Team Member

Treken, welcome to Aptosid. The issue has been discussed several times, here is a summary:

Remastersys is intended for static stable operating systems, not for rolling release leading edge ones. So, using it with Aptosid will not make you happy. Re-mastering in general is probably not easy with the daily changing repositories in Debian Sid, as dist-upgrades and installs on the remastered system might break later on.

However, there are good solutions:

1) Make use of our options to boot from, adapt in live mode, and install to USB devices - http://manual.aptosid.com/en/hd-install ... htm#usb-hd - which gives you a costumized system you can boot from every machine (which is able to boot from USB).

2) If you depend on a resulting CD/DVD you can follow this HowTo. Please understand that systems created this way are unsupported in our forums and IRC, and you will be at your own with any problems.

3) The probably best solution - but with some learning curve - is making use of the official build scripts we use for the original Aptosid releases. You can grab them directly form our development SVN at http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/ful ... yfll/trunk - please take a look at the included documentation. Debian Sid does change every day, and so do our build tools, therefore it might not be possible every day to use them, and you need to stay updated. You should also know that we are unable to support such custom builds in our forums or IRC.

Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
xetaprimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 10.08.2011, 16:41

Slam wrote:
      Quote:
Remastersys is intended for static stable operating systems, not for rolling release leading edge ones. So, using it with Aptosid will not make you happy.

It makes me happy Shocked

detaosOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: [Q]remastersys for aptosid?  PostPosted: 12.08.2011, 06:45
Team Member

slam wrote:
3) The probably best solution - but with some learning curve - is making use of the official build scripts we use for the original Aptosid releases. You can grab them directly form our development SVN at http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/ful ... yfll/trunk - please take a look at the included documentation. Debian Sid does change every day, and so do our build tools, therefore it might not be possible every day to use them, and you need to stay updated. You should also know that we are unable to support such custom builds in our forums or IRC.

I agree with every word of the above except "probably" Wink

natelwinOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: [Q]remastersys for aptosid?  PostPosted: 12.08.2011, 06:56

+1 (to use the cultural expression common among the y'owns on the 'net today Wink )

piperOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: [Q]remastersys for aptosid?  PostPosted: 12.08.2011, 19:41

detaos wrote:
      slam wrote:

I agree with every word of the above except "probably" Wink

+110 Wink

xetaprimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 13.08.2011, 11:22

Quote:

Is there a simple how to here somewhere using Pyfll? I think the 'learning curve' is a large one, which is why I'm sticking with Remastersys. Now, yes, it may not always work if 'things' change- but then you're back to square one- with no Remastersys. Sid can break anytime right? Problems with upgrades etc. So what if someone has Remastersys working as a back-up tool. I say again it's invaluable to me. Even if it breaks in the future, for now I have my system currently on DVD and I won't have to configure the hell out of it again. All my programs and settings are fixed. I'm okay with the idea at some point, if not already- something will stop Remastersys from working. But isn't that true with a lot of things? Linux supports programs that eventually are tossed for others.

I haven't read a clear 'How to' for Pyfll that someone's posted. Is there one here? If so please point me to it. For Remastersys the learning curve is small compared to Mr.'fll and frankly it was 'fun' to get it working when here, and on the Remastersys website it was at least implied it wouldn't work with aptosid.

You know how if you don't do something in pc land for a while you might forget how you did it? I may already be forgetting things I did- unless I reread my own how-to but I'll offer any support to anyone trying to get Remastersys installed. So there is, me Wink

Best wishes,
Xeta

xetaprimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 13.08.2011, 14:07

Adding...

Let's say again, a user sets up their pristine sid aptosid which is 'rolling' along and they say, like I did, go through the trouble of installing e17 from SVN and all the added programs and before ever updating, make that Remaster on dvd whether it is from Remastersys or Pyfill- how is that possibly a bad thing for anyone?

Perhaps after that 'they' could remove Remastersys if they wanted. Or like I said above- use it until something happens. The thing is you will have that system, as you want it on an installable dvd. And that, in my opinion is optimising and time saving and stuff.

slamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 13.08.2011, 16:31
Team Member

A technicially very well done GUI application in Debian sid for backups is e.g. LuckyBackup. And of course there are several other fine backup options around, your favorite application is definitely not needed to do them.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 13.08.2011, 19:17

http://manual.aptosid.com/en/hd-install ... so-persist

I would choose the above over remastersys anyday Wink

xetaprimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.08.2011, 22:39

Choice is good Wink

DonKultOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.08.2011, 23:33
Team Member

In germany we have a lovely saying: "If everything you know is a hammer, all problems look like a pin"

Sure, you can get a screw (=unstable) into the wall (=iso) with your sledge hammer¹ (=remastersys), but it works better with a screwdriver (=pyfll). And sometimes gluing on top (=usb presist) is the most simple solution… But make sure it's really a screw… Backups are neither pins nor screws, they are heels²…

¹ as a german i would prefer the more literal translation 'suggestion hammer' here Wink
² and to mention another very useful tool: 'Siemens-Lufthaken', sorry, i don't really know a good translation for that… Airheel is already used for something completely different…

diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 24.08.2011, 00:05

DonKult wrote:
In germany we have a lovely saying: "If everything 'Siemens-Lufthaken', sorry, i don't really know a good translation for that.

haken = "hook". Older Americans remember the "hakenkreutz" of former times in Germany. Maybe you mean "Ferse".

The item that we hit with a hammer, to drive it into wood (or the hoof of a horse) we call a "nail".

Yes, in America we have the same saying: "For the man whose only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail." Smile

With Piper's help, I found pyfll is not so difficult -- I have made a very nice aptosid 2GB USB stick with all needed packages included.

DonKultOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 24.08.2011, 01:27
Team Member

dibl wrote:
      DonKult wrote:
In germany we have a lovely saying: "If everything 'Siemens-Lufthaken', sorry, i don't really know a good translation for that.

haken = "hook". Older Americans remember the "hakenkreutz" of former times in Germany. Maybe you mean "Ferse".

Ah, no. (It's 'Kreuz' btw - 'cross') Mixed that up it seems, heels are 'Hacken' while hooks are 'Haken'… my bad.

dibl wrote:
The item that we hit with a hammer, to drive it into wood (or the hoof of a horse) we call a "nail".

I am used to refer to everything with 'pin' from a tack to a spike - especially if a sledge hammer is involved to make it really absurd, but good to know that it's nail instead - not to different to the usage in germany, also the same word in the foot as well as wall/horse context… (Even through we tend to have a special word for every type of nail ending with 'nagel' - Fußnagel, Reißnagel, Dachnagel, Hufnagel, …)

Completely offtopic, but it's good to learn something each day Smile

diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 24.08.2011, 21:42

DonKult wrote:

Completely offtopic, but it's good to learn something each day Smile

+1

(including a bit of die deutsche Sprache)

Jump to: