View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
piperOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: intel ipw2200 random disconn  PostPosted: 02.09.2011, 17:28

nahn wrote:
Haha, defensive, defensive, defensive! How pathetic! I have no time and interest for this kind of stupidity! Goodbye!

It's called reality

How you get defensive out of your noobish demanding style and that aptosid nor gentoo don't make the firmware you and only you are having problems with on this forum (you must be very very new to linux)

I believe you came here to troll from the get-go

How pathetic! Yes, right from your 3rd post I thought it was very pathetic to bring up a post that is over a year old from another forum even

I have no time for your kind (thanks for the humour though)

anyone having problems with the intel ipw2200

That would have worked

disconnects can be frontiernet.net problem
and is a very well known problem

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell_pho ... ntier.html

you may google it also, i won't do the work for you as you seem very lazy when it comes to searching

it could also be a router problem on your end

Goodbye!

Please let the door hit your Ass on the way out !

Reply with quote Back to top
nahnOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: intel ipw2200 random disconnect  PostPosted: 09.09.2011, 06:17

I felt I had to come back here to thank you: I wouldn't have had patience to try out and discover why Linux Mint Debian Edition is a much more superior distro, had you not forced me to look else where. FYI: ipw2200 works fine under LMDE, as the case under Windows and Puppy Linux. I couldn't help noticing that this topic has been viewed 810 times, the fourth most viewed in this thread! If there was 'nothing wrong' as you claimed, why would so many people click on this subject title? Since it couldn't be the problem of firmware (according to you!), there is only one possibility: something wrong with aptosid! Why don't you do something so that the 800+ people would appreciate? I do hope you'll learn some time in your life that this quick in defense knee jerk reaction is a common behavior of an immature teenager. When people come here to ask questions in the future, try to be helpful as a professional instead!

IgnorantGuruOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 09.09.2011, 14:59

In my experience with wireless drivers and random disconnects, the problem can be in unsuspected places. For example, in one installation (I think it was on Arch), using wicd to manage the device caused repeated disconnects (although wicd had always worked well for me on other systems). Using Network Manager instead of wicd resolved the problem, though I have no idea why that was. So in my experience it is always valuable to experiment with different wireless managers and setup methods. In this case, perhaps something in Aptosid’s wireless manager setup is triggering the problem (which may be related to a bug in the firmware), and this may be why other distros aren’t seeing the problem.

As an aside, it is disappointing to me to see moderators using language like "noobish", "pathetic", "troll", and "your kind" - clearly personal attacks from moderators on a frustrated user asking a technical question. It appears that someone needs to moderate the moderators and train them in professional conduct, even in the face of a poster who is not polite. This level of response reflects poorly on Aptosid. For example, I received this comment from a reader on my blog regarding this thread:

Quote:
Nice article! In fact, you made me curious about aptosid and tried for few days. Unfortunately, for some reason my wireless card (Intel 2200bg) keeps dropping connection and then refuses to reconnect unless I reboot. I went on to the Forum on aptosid site and was glad there was already a topic someone posted about the issue -- until I started reading it: I've got to admit I was very discouraged with the way they treat their users who simply asked a question they didn't like. link

Please make every effort to be professional and stick to the facts, even when less experienced users become frustrated and rude. The Aptosid devs do very good work in my experience, and there is no need for them to be so rattled by one person inferring a lack of competence. If you don't know the solution to a problem, continue asking technical questions to narrow down the cause, or leave the problem open to further input. Jumping to conclusions in the case of wireless firmware not working is not a good idea. It does indeed appear that something in Aptosid is not working well with this firmware, so there is probably a reason. Thanks for your work.

snvvOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 11.09.2011, 16:37

LMDE is a good distribution but in no way better than aptosid Smile
I used it for about 6 months because I could't make the wifi to work with aptosid and I had no time to search for a solution.

After some time wifi stopped in LMDE too Smile.

During summer, I had time to solve all little issues with aptosid in the laptop and now all my PC's are "aptosid inside" Smile

What I remember for LMDE is that some mirrors was mixed (i.e it downloaded vbox from ubuntu repos). I hope they have solve it by now. Also, it is fast but by no means faster than aptosid.

That's all from me...

slamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 11.09.2011, 17:11
Team Member

IgnorantGuru, I fully agree with you that personal atacks do have no place in our forums, and that sticking to asking the right technical questions is the way to go. But every coins has 2 sides, our supporters, moderators and developers really deserve to be treated exactly the same way from visitors. The OT has never answered the friendly questions he received, and additionally started and continued and re-fired the attacks - just to finally leave this place (and other places before) without a serious solution for himself and others who might have the same problem. He also left us developers without any of the technical information we asked for, in order to help him and help fixing possible bugs who might hit others.

I also agree that firmware problems are always difficult to debug and fix, and only friendly co-operation between users and developers makes it possible.

Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
IgnorantGuruOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 11.09.2011, 19:33

@Slam: I'm not defending the original poster, who was clearly not friendly. But on a public forum, you'll get all kinds of people. If you let them set the tone of the forum, then it becomes ugly and drives everyone away. It also sabotages the purpose of the forum - it's hard to discuss the technical issues when the thread is full of abusive nonsense.

I think moderators should make every effort to set the forum's tone by using their own conduct to demonstrate desired behavior, even or especially in response to impolite participants. Having a moderator flame participants and engage in name-calling is not appropriate or helpful, IMO.

No one likes to be abused, of course, and as soon as that user got so impolite, I would have simply ignored him (and left the problem open to further technical input). His behavior speaks for itself. I think the wise response is to disregard the opinions and stick to the technical issues. Or respond with silence - you're not a slave and don't owe anyone anything, especially someone who can't treat you with respect. And of course if it gets too far out of line, then the participant should be politely warned. But expressing an opinion that 'aptosid is bad' or 'the developers are defensive' should not be reason for a warning or to tell someone to leave IMO. I think the best forums allow a lot of latitude as far as how participants choose to express themselves (over-moderation kills a forum, especially when moderators are undisciplined). But that's not to say anyone has to respond if they don't like how they're spoken to. Silence speaks volumes and people get the idea pretty quick - if you want a response, be respectful.

Thanks for your reply, and I'm sorry you have to deal with such treatment after all the work you do.

Jump to: