View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
dragoncityOffline
Post subject: unable to complete dist-upgrade (64 bit)  PostPosted: 25.08.2011, 10:57

I recently downloaded and installed a 2011-02 64 bit aptosid, which installed without problems, however today I tried to upgrade

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade -d

went well, however when I try to log out of KDE
for the actual update phase I get 'tossed' into
a blank screen with a blinking cursor at the top left and then nothing happens. No messages, no system errors.
I have to power off to continue.

I expected to be able to login as root and continue.

I have tried various ways to exit kde with the same results.

I've tried some of the suggestions offered in the forums without positive results.

BTW: logging out of KDE from 32 bit aptosid works OK.

Reply with quote Back to top
bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: unable to complete dist-upgrade (64 bit)  PostPosted: 25.08.2011, 15:43
Team Member

Simple thing first, did you try pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 when you were at the screen with just the blinking cursor? For the rest of this post I'll assume you tried and it made no difference.

What graphics card are you using and what driver?

If it is a radeon do you have the firmware installed (from firmware-linux-nonfree).

What happens if you try to press Ctrl+Alt+F1 while in X (kde), do you see a console login? Can you get back to X with Ctrl+Alt+F7? If you can login via Ctrl+Alt+F1 then you can run "init 3" there and hopefully still have a console where you can complete the dist-upgrade.

You "might" be able to simply tell grub to boot straight into run-level 3 and not start X, or this might leave you at the blank screen also. If it does leave you at a blank screen, you can probably just press the power button to tell it to shut back down cleanly, then try again and try with adding "vga=0 3" and/or "vga=791 3" in grub to boot to runlevel 3 with a couple of different forced framebuffer options. If you try any of the vga codes then reboot without them when you are finished before bothering trying to return to runlevel 5 with X.

dragoncityOffline
Post subject: RE: unable to complete dist-upgrade (64 bit)  PostPosted: 26.08.2011, 06:06

What graphics card are you using and what driver?

Brand: HP
Model: Pavilion DV6-6102AX

Graphics Card Brand: ATI
Graphics Card Memory (MB): 1GB
Graphics Card Memory Type: Dedicated
Graphics Card Type: Radeon HD 6750M

The cpu is a AMD A8, four core with integrated GPU

If it is a radeon do you have the firmware installed (from firmware-linux-nonfree).

Yes

What happens if you try to press Ctrl+Alt+F1 while in X (kde), do you see a console login? Can you get back to X with Ctrl+Alt+F7? If you can login via Ctrl+Alt+F1 then you can run "init 3" there and hopefully still have a console where you can complete the dist-upgrade.

Ctrl+Alt+F1 while in X (kde) -> blank screen with cursor

Ctrl+Alt+F7 -> returns me to KDE

I have not tried the 'mods' to grub yet.

dragoncityOffline
Post subject: RE: unable to complete dist-upgrade (64 bit)  PostPosted: 27.08.2011, 04:07

I've decided to put aptosid 64 aside for the moment, I installed a 64 bit MEPIS as I need to get working.
I'll try a aptosid 64 version when the next new release appears.

Maybe the laptop is just too new and appropriate GPU radeon drivers aren’t there yet ?

Thanks for your advice 'bfree'

Jump to: