View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
oddballOffline
Post subject: vnc communication very slow with xfce on client side  PostPosted: 28.08.2011, 17:20

For a long time ago I had a topic about this, can be since the sidux time? I didn't got any help then as I remember.

I have since a long time had problems with slow updating of the desktop on my remote box running vncserver. I have also red some about that there is a problem with xfce and vnc but I can't find much about it and not any solutions. Some days ago I tested to install aptosid-kde-lite on my box running the vncwievwer and then the connection runs flawlessly. Thats good but I don't like kde since 4.x and want to go back to using xfce.

I have tried different vnc-servers, different vnc-viewers, and different settings with compressions and so on, trying to run lxde on the server side doesn't help either. The router I use have been changed during the time and also the physical computers on both server and client side has been changed over time and still I have not been able to get it work good enough with xfce on the client side.

Does anybody has a clue what this is about?

edit: I just installed xfce on my kde installation mentioned above and then it seems like vnc is working with xfce like it shall do. This reminds me that the problem I red about before could have been with vnc and gdm, not xfce, I'm not sure and I can't really find anything about that on the net either.
Is there a way to make a clean installation of aptosid with xfce using kdm instead of gdm?

Reply with quote Back to top
x-un-i
Post subject: RE: vnc communication very slow with xfce on client side  PostPosted: 29.08.2011, 11:02
Team Member

u can replace the display manager. In fact xfce now uses ( because there is no valid alternative at least for now) gdm3 that is much worsier (heavier) than gdm was.

A light DM is beeing developed and is already in sid so you may prefer give him a go.

Será que o diabo perdeu a virgindade?

oddballOffline
Post subject: RE: vnc communication very slow with xfce on client side  PostPosted: 29.08.2011, 11:44

ok, how do I do to change the dm? I believe that I have to change somewhere so the right dm is started om boot?

x-un-i
Post subject: RE: vnc communication very slow with xfce on client side  PostPosted: 29.08.2011, 13:50
Team Member

*edited*

when installing it should configure itself and you shall be asked which display manager you prefer...

Será que o diabo perdeu a virgindade?

oddballOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: vnc communication very slow with xfce on client side  PostPosted: 29.08.2011, 17:26

x-un-i wrote:
*edited*

when installing it should configure itself and you shall be asked which display manager you prefer...
Yes, I found that out but it's good to know how to change if I want to. Thanks.

I'm now running a new xfce installation with lightdm as display manager, works good and ok with vnc also, little boring theme on log in, but that's ok if the rest is working for me.

piperOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: vnc communication very slow with xfce on client side  PostPosted: 29.08.2011, 19:06

oddball wrote:
      x-un-i wrote:
*edited*

Yes, I found that out but it's good to know how to change if I want to. Thanks.

I'm now running a new xfce installation with lightdm as display manager, works good and ok with vnc also, little boring theme on log in, but that's ok if the rest is working for me.

Code:
update-alternatives --display x-window-manager

Jump to: