View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ShakaZOffline
Post subject: Desktop video recording  PostPosted: 25.10.2011, 06:51

In my quest to record desktop sessions or google video chats I've stumbled on quite a few hurdles.

recordmydesktop or kdenlive(which uses recordmydesktop) work fine for recording desktop sessions though the volume of the sound is very low. For google video chat however there's a conflict. If recording starts before starting the chat, the mic doesn't work for the chat but recording works. If the recording starts after the chat, recordmydesktop exits because it can't access the sound device.

Xvidcap has given me the best results so far, though audio recording doesn't work, so I've had to use the rec command (provided by SoX). Which in the end results in a lot of editing to remove noise from the audio and synchronise the audio with the video.
The issue is due to xvidcap using only OSS for audio recording. I've managed to make the required /dev/dsp device appear through a modprobe snd-pcm-oss. Result : xvidcap doesn't complain about not accessing the sound card, but still no sound being recorded.

Both methods only manage to record the sound from the mic. I'd like to be able to get the sound directly from the output, or even better record mic & output in 2 different files.

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: