Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Author Message
piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 31.08.2011, 14:19
Moderator


Joined: 2010-09-11
Posts: 480
Location: cheektowaga, ny
Status: Offline
      jacmoe wrote:
I waited until apt told me that it wasn't going to be removed.
One added, nothing to remove and a lot of upgraded packages.
nvidia-glx and xserver-xorg-video-nvidia was among the packages to upgrade.


I can see this happening, I can see people thinking it was ok to dist-upgrade. I too, am one that uses the blob, but, I knew better.

      jacmoe wrote:
If this is the official policy of the Aptosid team I guess there is something fundamental that you've misunderstood.

The problem is that I need 3D support.

Since most Aptosid users are fairly advanced users, don't give us that crap.
We are using the proprietary nVidia driver for a reason. Dont be ridiculous. That driver is not an alternative. What a crap reply.
I guess we just have to wait a bit longer.


But, what I don't understand, is why you are blaming aptosid ?

I also don't understand why this is a crap reply.

Can you please point me to a distro that uses X.Org 1.11.0 and has "the blob" working ?

I do understand your point, but it is out of aptosids hands and it is a clear problem of nvidia's.

Remember, we are running sid ...

_________________
debian sid | apt-get into it
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
clubexOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 31.08.2011, 16:52



Joined: 2010-09-11
Posts: 98

Status: Offline
Heads up:

Today's DU wants to remove nvidia-glx and xserver-xorg-video-nvidia.

I guess all updates are not yet in the repositories so best to wait awhile.
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
jacmoeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 31.08.2011, 16:58



Joined: 2011-04-13
Posts: 40
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
      piper wrote:
I can see this happening, I can see people thinking it was ok to dist-upgrade. I too, am one that uses the blob, but, I knew better.

You are so right. Smile
I wish I had the brains to check here first.

      piper wrote:
But, what I don't understand, is why you are blaming aptosid ?

I also don't understand why this is a crap reply.

I've been grumpy ever since I got out of that cursed bed - so sorry guys. Confused
The reply I saw was just not what I wanted to hear, that's all.
I blame no one but me. I should have stayed in bed, I guess. Razz

So, what I learned now is that even if the coast seems clear, check first on the Aptosid Forum.
Especially a disruptive upgrade as nVidia related stuff.
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
Reply with quote Back to top
piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 31.08.2011, 18:41
Moderator


Joined: 2010-09-11
Posts: 480
Location: cheektowaga, ny
Status: Offline
      jacmoe wrote:
      piper wrote:
I can see this happening, I can see people thinking it was ok to dist-upgrade. I too, am one that uses the blob, but, I knew better.

You are so right. Smile
I wish I had the brains to check here first.

      piper wrote:
But, what I don't understand, is why you are blaming aptosid ?

I also don't understand why this is a crap reply.

I've been grumpy ever since I got out of that cursed bed - so sorry guys. Confused
The reply I saw was just not what I wanted to hear, that's all.
I blame no one but me. I should have stayed in bed, I guess. Razz

So, what I learned now is that even if the coast seems clear, check first on the Aptosid Forum.
Especially a disruptive upgrade as nVidia related stuff.


That's ok, Smile

I have those samedays when I post without my coffee Smile

I am very happy with this post you made, and it shows you have balls (disregard this if female Wink )

Thank you

_________________
debian sid | apt-get into it
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
CaesarTjalboOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 31.08.2011, 19:37



Joined: 2010-09-13
Posts: 95
Location: Enschede
Status: Offline
towo|, thx for watching this closely. I'm asking it here (in stead of on the Nvidia forum) because I'd like to hear your opinion, not Nvidia's.

I don't know what to make of this:
      towo wrote:
Is Nvidia's Aaron Plattner implying we'll have to wait roughly 6 months until X.Org Server 1.12 will be released before we'll get a working driver?
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
towoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 31.08.2011, 20:14



Joined: 2010-09-13
Posts: 497
Location: Pößneck / Thüringen
Status: Offline
      Quote:
Is Nvidia's Aaron Plattner implying we'll have to wait roughly 6 months until X.Org Server 1.12 will be released before we'll get a working driver?

No, i think we must wait for xserver 1.11.1, if Peter Hutterer is accepting Aaron's patch.
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
SpaceferretOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 01.09.2011, 00:25



Joined: 2010-09-13
Posts: 97

Status: Offline
Is it OK to put xserver on hold and d-u everything else including nvidia drivers ? Packages that need upgrading keep piling up ...
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
redsidOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 01.09.2011, 01:27



Joined: 2011-02-08
Posts: 32
Location: Lake Otsego
Status: Offline
You'll never make the Aptosid team Mr Ferret! Thinking for yourself! Of course you can but better not tell anyone. Of course if you had just made the simple addition of
      Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
   Option      "ignoreABI"   "true"

EndSection.

to xorg.conf you wouldn't need to ask your question. Works to perfection on 64 with Nvidia driver 285.03. This is our little secret! Don't tell "The Team".
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
etorixOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 01.09.2011, 03:18
Team Member


Joined: 2010-08-26
Posts: 137

Status: Offline
unfortunately xorg.conf usage has been deprecated for some time now

if you care to read the OP, 'ignoreABI' is known working but glitchy with current Xorg
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
SpaceferretOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 01.09.2011, 04:12



Joined: 2010-09-13
Posts: 97

Status: Offline
@redsid That simple ???
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
CaesarTjalboOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 01.09.2011, 11:28



Joined: 2010-09-13
Posts: 95
Location: Enschede
Status: Offline
      towo wrote:
No, i think we must wait for xserver 1.11.1, if Peter Hutterer is accepting Aaron's patch.
thx, makes sense indeed.

      etorix wrote:
unfortunately xorg.conf usage has been deprecated for some time now
I still use xorg.conf, exactly because of Nvidia settings (Twinview).
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
CoolHandOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 02.09.2011, 14:35



Joined: 2011-09-02
Posts: 1

Status: Offline
      redsid wrote:
You'll never make the Aptosid team Mr Ferret! Thinking for yourself! Of course you can but better not tell anyone. Of course if you had just made the simple addition of
      Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
   Option      "ignoreABI"   "true"

EndSection.

to xorg.conf you wouldn't need to ask your question. Works to perfection on 64 with Nvidia driver 285.03. This is our little secret! Don't tell "The Team".


Thanks redsid! Perfect! I can always count on someone to bail me out when I do stupid stuff Smile
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
towoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 02.09.2011, 14:48



Joined: 2010-09-13
Posts: 497
Location: Pößneck / Thüringen
Status: Offline
Since libglx.so.280.13 is incompatible with the exension ABI from xserver 1.11, this soloution is all other, than perfect.
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
sngOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 02.09.2011, 17:04



Joined: 2010-09-12
Posts: 14
Location: Greece
Status: Offline
A bit off-topic, but if anyone can help...

I have been using
      Code:
xcalib -invert -alter

assigned to a keyboard shortcut, using it when reading ebooks etc.

This worked fine with nvidia's driver. Can anyone confirm that it does not work with nouveau? Or is there something else that's wrong?
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
Reply with quote Back to top
doctordruidphdOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 02.09.2011, 21:51



Joined: 2010-09-12
Posts: 22
Location: Pacific Northwest, US
Status: Offline
I am using nvidia-glx from frickleplatz.

Here is what I have done to allow other upgrades to go through:

su
echo "nvidia-glx hold" | dpkg --set-selections
echo "nvidia-kernel-source hold" | dpkg --set-selections
exit

This allows other dist-upgrades (like libreoffice) to go.
Any reason not to do it this way?
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
Display posts from previous:     
Jump to:  
All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Powered by Zafenio