Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Author Message
mirixOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 11.09.2011, 13:11



Joined: 2010-10-25
Posts: 28

Status: Offline
It seems that 275.28 is in fact the most recent and recommended release:

Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver NVIDIA Recommended 275.28 September 7, 2011
Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver BETA 285.03 August 17, 2011
Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver 280.13 August 1, 2011

It has been running well here for 4 days...
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
SpaceferretOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 11.09.2011, 17:59



Joined: 2010-09-13
Posts: 97

Status: Offline
I wish someone (ideally a team member) would give me a clear answer: what should be put on hold for now,x.org? nvidia-kernel-source?both? none? nvidia-glx? something else?
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 11.09.2011, 18:05
Moderator


Joined: 2010-09-11
Posts: 480
Location: cheektowaga, ny
Status: Offline
      Spaceferret wrote:
I wish someone (ideally a team member) would give me a clear answer: what should be put on hold for now,x.org? nvidia-kernel-source?both? none? nvidia-glx? something else?


What I, and aptosid highly recommend, nothing should be put on hold

In reality the last time I put something on hold was back in the kanotix days

_________________
debian sid | apt-get into it
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
CaesarTjalboOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 11.09.2011, 18:53



Joined: 2010-09-13
Posts: 95
Location: Enschede
Status: Offline
      piper wrote:
What I, and aptosid highly recommend, nothing should be put on hold
I understand that means: do not upgrade if you want to keep using the Nvidia binary-blob.
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
mirixOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 11.09.2011, 20:14



Joined: 2010-10-25
Posts: 28

Status: Offline
There is one dimension of this problem that tends to be overlooked: It is not just 3D acceleration, it is also GPU computing (CUDA support in the NVIDA case). If there are conflicts with the proprietary drivers, what happens to the people who, like me, need to do number crunching on GPUs?
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
SpaceferretOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 11.09.2011, 20:23



Joined: 2010-09-13
Posts: 97

Status: Offline
      CaesarTjalbo wrote:
      piper wrote:
What I, and aptosid highly recommend, nothing should be put on hold
I understand that means: do not upgrade if you want to keep using the Nvidia binary-blob.
Piper's cryptic message actually means : don't bug us with your stupid questions. You are on your own.Try and see what will ensue.Or get rid of your nvidia hardware.Or switch to nouveau and lose your graphics functionality.Or spend countless hours browsing other member's posts. Or get involved in pointless wrangling between nvidia people and xorg people.But for the sake of your own sanity,don't put anything on hold, we are not in the Kanotix days, with aptosid nothing can possibly go wrong Cool
Thank you,that was helpful !
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
finottiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 12.09.2011, 12:32



Joined: 2010-09-12
Posts: 315

Status: Offline
The nvidia packages no longer show "to be removed" in my AMD64 systems. Not sure if the new driver works well, though. (I will wait for reports of more courageous users.)

Luis
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
IgnorantGuruOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 12.09.2011, 15:36



Joined: 2011-03-27
Posts: 43

Status: Offline
      finotti wrote:
The nvidia packages no longer show "to be removed" in my AMD64 systems. Not sure if the new driver works well, though. (I will wait for reports of more courageous users.)


I volunteered for this dangerous and heroic mission, but my plane was shot down.

X on the second display wouldn't start, and when I tried to switch terminals (Ctrl-Alt-F1), the Xserver locked up with a black screen - had to reset the computer. I didn't have a chance to check the logs but the results weren't good. (I made a backup before upgrading so no harm done - back in business.)

Resume holding pattern... And on that subject, I have always found it necessary to hold upgrades occasionally with any rolling distro, or at least that seems to be an easier approach.

_________________
Check out my blog for useful scripts, mods and tips...
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
Reply with quote Back to top
diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 12.09.2011, 15:45



Joined: 2010-09-12
Posts: 302
Location: Dayton, Ohio, USA
Status: Offline
I just ran d-u on a 64-bit system that has not had a d-u since this issue with the proprietary driver first came up. So it was a big d-u, but it ran to completion with no errors, and to be safe I rebooted it, and it is fine, with the new packaged "...really.275.28-1" driver.

Another 64-bit system was installed with nouveau some weeks ago. On that one I followed the procedure in the manual and converted it to the packaged proprietary driver today, and it also is running fine, with desktop effects enabled.

Both these systems have only a single GPU, and single monitor.


Last edited by dibl on 12.09.2011, 15:49; edited 1 time in total
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
Reply with quote Back to top
finottiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 12.09.2011, 15:47



Joined: 2010-09-12
Posts: 315

Status: Offline
      IgnorantGuru wrote:


I volunteered for this dangerous and heroic mission, but my plane was shot down. [snip]



Thanks for your brave effort! Smile

On further investigation, it seems that this is the version that towo mentioned to be bad (above)...

Luis
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
paagrioOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 12.09.2011, 18:29



Joined: 2011-05-10
Posts: 5
Location: Ukraine
Status: Offline
X is starting with 275.28 but it is not stable.
(For example when i am launching chrome and popup from Gmail Checker is rised - kdm restarts Sad )
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
Reply with quote Back to top
piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 12.09.2011, 20:28
Moderator


Joined: 2010-09-11
Posts: 480
Location: cheektowaga, ny
Status: Offline
      Spaceferret wrote:
      CaesarTjalbo wrote:
      piper wrote:
What I, and aptosid highly recommend, nothing should be put on hold
I understand that means: do not upgrade if you want to keep using the Nvidia binary-blob.
Piper's cryptic message actually means : don't bug us with your stupid questions. You are on your own.Try and see what will ensue.Or get rid of your nvidia hardware.Or switch to nouveau and lose your graphics functionality.Or spend countless hours browsing other member's posts. Or get involved in pointless wrangling between nvidia people and xorg people.But for the sake of your own sanity,don't put anything on hold, we are not in the Kanotix days, with aptosid nothing can possibly go wrong Cool
Thank you,that was helpful !


WOW, A mind reader

I dislike people who put words in my mouth that I didn't even think, let alone say

      Spaceferret wrote:
Thank you,that was helpful !


Your Welcome

How many people do you help here ?

none

Do You do support for aptosid and ALL of it's users and try to give them support without breaking their systems.

none


Do You monitor incoming for debian or nvidia

none


The day I posted about the "question" about "hold" (11.09.2011, 13:05)

Maybe you were too lazy to look, I work 12-16 hours a day at my "normal" job, I ain't doin that for ya too

      Code:
xserver-xorg-video-nvidia_280.13.really.275.28-1_amd64.deb   11-Sep-2011 22:32    3.8M

      Code:
xserver-xorg-video-nvidia_280.13.really.275.28-1_i386.deb   11-Sep-2011 22:32    3.6M


Hmm, very interesting

Why the hell would I tell anyone to put anything on hold especially xorg or nvidia when you wait it out for a bit and it's fixed, yes, it's a pain in the ass but shit happens, your running DEBIAN SID

Perhaps Ubuntu fits your bill



Now, you can go back to Tech patterns and do some more bad mouthing

_________________
debian sid | apt-get into it
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
SpaceferretOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 13.09.2011, 00:03



Joined: 2010-09-13
Posts: 97

Status: Offline
@piper: I didn't hold a gun against your head to make you volunteer for the aptosid project, but since you have decided to carry the load you should expect that people will count on your help. Too many people posted too many solutions regarding this problem.You recommended switching to nouveau despite numerous reasons given by the users who would like to keep nvidia driver instead .It shouldn't be about politics, it should be about helping people to get the best from their distribution of choice (even if to achieve this goal certain packages needed to be put on hold)
      Quote:

Perhaps Ubuntu fits your bill
Thank you for the hint!
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
SpaceferretOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 13.09.2011, 00:21



Joined: 2010-09-13
Posts: 97

Status: Offline
There are numerous posts in this section complaining about the fact that most of the time advice comes from users, not the team, which is regrettable because the team should always have the last word. We do have quite a few very knowledgeable people on this forum but still confusion persists most of the time.Wouldn't it be great to have better ways of communication between the respected team and average users for whom in the end aptosid was created ?
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
IgnorantGuruOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 13.09.2011, 00:31



Joined: 2011-03-27
Posts: 43

Status: Offline
      Spaceferret wrote:
Too many people posted too many solutions regarding this problem.You recommended switching to nouveau despite numerous reasons given by the users who would like to keep nvidia driver instead .It shouldn't be about politics, it should be about helping people to get the best from their distribution of choice (even if to achieve this goal certain packages needed to be put on hold)


That is very well said. If Aptosid's team could set a recommended procedure when these problems occur, that would be helpful. IOW, "If you need blob nvidia, we suggest..."

Running a distro means putting things together that work. But I understand their dilemma with the blob - they can't patch the source, and they can't hold back xorg in the repos just for us - then it ceases to be rolling. So sometimes the solution is to wait on some or all upgrades. Official advice on that would be helpful in relieving this pandemonium.

Another possibility would be to have Aptosid somehow hold certain packages back or change them just for nvidia users - basically creating an Aptosid-nvidia distro. Don't know how feasible this is, but seems like it could be done via a different repo for Aptosid-nvidia users.

But as a start, an officially recommended 'keep it working' procedure would be good enough.

_________________
Check out my blog for useful scripts, mods and tips...
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
Reply with quote Back to top
Display posts from previous:     
Jump to:  
All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Powered by Zafenio