View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
trauma85Offline
Post subject: kaffeine and nvidia-nouveau driver conflicts  PostPosted: 30.08.2011, 19:51

hi, i performed a du yesterday and by this switched to the nouveau driver as the proprietary nvidia drivers are not working yet. so far everything went fine thanks to this forum!!!

but now kaffeine wont play dvb-t-streams. as soon as i open the tv-section in kaffeine in breaks down. no problems with avi or other files. (except old recordings from kaffeine).

my current system:
      Code:
Host/Kernel/OS  "trauPC" running Linux 3.0-3.slh.4-aptosid-amd64 x86_64 [ aptosid 2010-02 Κῆρες - kde-lite - (201009132215) ]
CPU Info        2x AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ 512 KB cache flags( sse3 ht nx lm svm ) clocked at [ 1000.000 MHz ]
Videocard       nVidia G71 [GeForce 7900 GS]  X.Org 1.11.0  [ 1280x1024@60.0hz ]
GLX Renderer Gallium 0.4 on NV49 | GLX Version Yes | Client Shell | Infobash v3.37

thanks for your help!

EDIT: google showed some bugreports like this one: http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/unassigned-bugs/2011-April/018494.html does this mean that there is no help except waiting?

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: kaffeine and nvidia-nouveau driver conflicts  PostPosted: 30.08.2011, 20:16

You can disable deinterlacing in kaffeine to avoid the crashing, it will work reliable then - with the obvious drawback of providing an interlaced output most of the time.

Other DVB players (vdr + a different frontend for example) don't appear to be affected either; but I admit that kaffeine is feature- and comfort wise definately one of the best simple DVB players. Yes, this is a known bug - but it's not 100% clear cut if the bug is in nouveau, qt4, phonon, libxine or kaffeine. Unfortunately this being a hardware && driver dependent bug affecting only a subset of kaffeine's functionality reduces the number of potential bug triagers or bug fixers, so there's no timeframe for getting this fixed (upstream and then flowing back into Debian).

Please refer to https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=222993 for the main bug log, the bad part, kaffeine upstream can't reproduce this issue - and as you can see from the reporting date, the bug is known for quite some time already...

trauma85Offline
Post subject: RE: kaffeine and nvidia-nouveau driver conflicts  PostPosted: 02.09.2011, 08:11

@slh: thanks for the hint. this works fine for me so far and maybe there will be a solution in (the nearer) future!

Jump to: