View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
titanOffline
15 Post subject: (solved) Moving SSD between computers  PostPosted: 31.08.2011, 07:49

I have a fully updated version of Aptosid on my desktop, it is on a 64 GB SSD. I have now bought a bigger SSD as a replacement. Can I install the 64 GB SSD Aptosid version in my laptop, they both have Intel CPU/GPU graphics.will it work.

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Moving SSD between computers  PostPosted: 31.08.2011, 12:44

Unless you use non-free/ binary drivers (which break all other drivers expecting the normal X/ mesa ABI), you can just switch the disk. I recommend to install eventually needed firmwares (especially for network devices) before switching and to delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-*.rules (they will get recreated for the new hardware during the next boot), in order to reset persistant device naming; also make sure to delete fstab entries that won't be available on the new system (~= all that aren't on your SSD itself).

Switching the hardware underneath a contemporary Linux install is easy, cloning however needs more attention to reset installation specific security key/ certificates (ssh, ssl) or UUIDs of various kinds.

arwaOffline
Post subject: RE: Moving SSD between computers  PostPosted: 31.08.2011, 16:55

Is the installed aptosid 32bit or are both machines 64bit? A mismatch of the architecture is the only problem I could see.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Moving SSD between computers  PostPosted: 31.08.2011, 17:32

arwa wrote:
Is the installed aptosid 32bit or are both machines 64bit? A mismatch of the architecture is the only problem I could see.

There WILL be a mismatch if the install on the SSD is 64 bit and the machine that the SSD is being moved to is 32 bit. Of course the 32 bit install will run just fine on a 64 bit system.

titanOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Moving SSD between computers  PostPosted: 31.08.2011, 18:21

Thanks all, they are both 32bit Aptosid but can both run 64bit. the only other problem I can see is with Virtualbox. My desktop is an i3 and I have VT-x and 2 processors enabled but I can change this and unload the KVM module. The new SSD will be a clean install as I am changing to 64 bit.

Jump to: