View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
slamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 07.09.2011, 11:24
Team Member

Just to clarify the warning: Installing packages from Debian stable is never a solid solution, because they often depend on different versions of compilers, libraries and userspace, etc. So, any given dist-upgrade might go wild - and even removing them can make troubles later on, as stable pre-/postinstall scripts are not written for Debian sid.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Reply with quote Back to top
ckosloffOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 07.09.2011, 14:16

Thanks to all for kind replies.
@Henning,
I appreciate your help, but there is definitely an issue with Evo on KDE.
Evo needs gnome-keyring to save passwords, I am not going to install it because it could conflict with KDEwallet, which runs fine.
There are other known issues with Evo: creation of ghost email accounts upon migration, .Sent folder not found, etc.
If you want to keep your system trouble-free, without weird mix-ups and old clients, I think the best solution is to migrate to Icedove.
BTW, uninstalling version 3.0.3 is not as easy as using the purge option, this will remove config files, but not hidden files.
I have tried it already, and was dumbfounded to see how deep those files were buried.
@muchan, slam
One of the reasons I am happy with switching to aptosid is that I learn so much.
Thanks for clarifications and tips, even if my decision is to dump Evolution.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 07.09.2011, 16:10

there should be some utilities to migrate your Evo mailboxes and data to Icedove. As Evolution is quite tightly wedded to Gnome, you'll definitely run into issues like you described using it in a KDE environment

ckosloffOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 08.09.2011, 00:36

DeepDayze wrote:
there should be some utilities to migrate your Evo mailboxes and data to Icedove. As Evolution is quite tightly wedded to Gnome, you'll definitely run into issues like you described using it in a KDE environment

Icedove has the import feature out-of-the-box.
I did not test it because I did not need to.
I use IMAP for my important accounts, so all I had to do was reconnect to the servers to get back my folders and stuff.
Email in POP accounts is unimportant, I don't save anything there, I just had to rebuild those.
The whole thing was pretty easy.
For my contacts, I guess that I would have to do that manually, since Icedove imports files in several formats.
I don't know where Evo stores contacts, it is not in .evolution hidden folder, and the file types it uses are not compatible with Icedove.
Regarding export or backup, have not had the time to check Icedove's add-ons, there should be something there.
All in all, I am happy with Icedove, Evo 3.0.3 is a complete mess, and from what I've heard, so is Gnome 3.
EDIT: there is an importexporttools add-on for Icedove, I do not understand why this feature is not part of core.

Jump to: