View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
dptOffline
Post subject: adding nonfree during install of aptosid  PostPosted: 13.09.2011, 10:29

Once upon a time there was an option to add nonfree to sources.list during istallation.

Do we take it that this option has been intentionally removed?

Thanks.

dpt

EDIT: First what I have to go for is flashplugin (nonfree)

Reply with quote Back to top
muchan
Post subject: RE: adding nonfree during install of aptosid  PostPosted: 13.09.2011, 13:48

It was intentionary removed. I think it was even before the transition to aptosid.

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: adding nonfree during install of aptosid  PostPosted: 13.09.2011, 13:57
Team Member

You may still simply edit your sources manually (and install flashplugin-nonfree) before starting the installer. All your changes you do in live mode will be on your installation, too.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
x-un-i
Post subject: RE: adding nonfree during install of aptosid  PostPosted: 13.09.2011, 15:37
Team Member

no it's not removed but only added when it makes immediately sense
if yor system needs firmware and you install it ( the installer offers also that possibility ) it will add the needed sources.

Será que o diabo perdeu a virgindade?

dptOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: adding nonfree during install of aptosid  PostPosted: 13.09.2011, 17:03

slam wrote:
You may still simply edit your sources manually (and install flashplugin-nonfree) before starting the installer. All your changes you do in live mode will be on your installation, too.
Greetings,
Chris

I had thought about it (like setting the language and time-zone at time of boot of Live CD) but wondered how I could do it with a Live CD. I thing I have done it for WLAN (this install today was with LAN, which just worked). I will see by running Live CD tomorrow how to edit the sources.list.

One more issue is NTFS. Reading as I recall is not a problem, writing has suddenly become one. Even if I use NTFS-3G. I do not like to open Dolphin as root (using Alt+F2 and kdesu) to write after changing 'ro' to 'rw' in fstab. And the funny part is and 'move to trash' takes infinite time.

Can we have, by default (maybe with option to change to read only), NTFS rw enabled in all partitions (except maybe the 1st)on installation?

Thanks.Have a nice day.

dpt

piperOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: adding nonfree during install of aptosid  PostPosted: 13.09.2011, 21:55

fstab
      Code:
UUID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   /media/disk?part?    ntfs-3g    rw,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0002,fmask=0003    0    0
reboot

DonKultOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: adding nonfree during install of aptosid  PostPosted: 13.09.2011, 22:34
Team Member

dpt wrote:
Can we have, by default (maybe with option to change to read only), NTFS rw enabled in all partitions (except maybe the 1st)on installation?

As far as i know NTFS isn't an open filesystem, but reverse engineered. Reading can fail - at least this doesn't break data, but given that a write operation could destroy the entry partition because some cornercase wasn't properly "guessed" (nothing else is reverse engineering) this isn't a risk we should expose users to by default. It's better to raise awareness for these kind of issues rather than hiding them even if it is inconvenient. If you possibly want to destroy your system, you should at least approve this.
(Remember that many applications will create files automatically for you in a folder, so just opening the drive in your filemanager might create a file and therefore possibly destroys the data…

Drivers to implement ext{2,3,4} on windows exist on the other hand…

sx9Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: adding nonfree during install of aptosid  PostPosted: 15.09.2011, 15:23

Quote:

All your changes you do in live mode will be on your installation, too.

I always thought the installer would extract the SquashFS (including some modifications) and ignores new packages and changes made in Live-Mode Embarassed

2x4GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 6770
OCZ Vertex 3 60GB (SSD)
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB (HDD)
aptosid x86_64

dptOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: adding nonfree during install of aptosid  PostPosted: 15.09.2011, 17:40

[quote="sx9"]
      Quote:

All your changes you do in live mode will be on your installation, too.

Good, one can see better before installation.

dpt

Jump to: