View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MichaelMeierOffline
15 Post subject: No automatic updating with current Thunar (solved)  PostPosted: 07.08.2011, 19:04

I admit, my system was no updated for a really long time, but why should I update when it worked.

Unfortunately, I thought I should do something about Thunar occasionally closing itself while deleting a file. So I decided to apt-get install Thunar after an apt-get update.
According to the apt history log, that changed Thunar from 1.0.2-1 to 1.2.2-1.

Not closed on delete so far, but there are other issues and behavior changes with the new version:
- minor, but annoying: when I move/copy a file to another Thunar window, it used to select that file and scroll to its position after move/copy is done. This does not happen anymore. Is there a configuration option to turn it back on somewhere?
- the major problem that is really driving me nuts: the automatic updating of folder contents is not working anymore for folders in NFS shares. Meaning, Thunar updates a folder listing automatically for local changes (i.e. touch a file in a folder that is displayed in a Thunar window and the window will refresh automatically). It used to work fine with the older version and now even pressing F5 does not update the display if only file size changes. Only new files or deleted ones are recognized while manually refreshing. With the old version, every change was displayed after an interval of around 5 seconds.

Please help. I am at my wit's end. I tried to replace fam with gamin, but that did not help in any way. I looked at other file managers, but they suffer from the same problem and are very different to use (uncomfortable compared to Thunar). I even tried KDE instead of my usual fluxbox, but all to no avail. Sad

What is going on?

The next thing I noticed: when deleting a file in Thunar on an CIFS share, it looks like nothing is happening. Only after refreshing with F5 is the display updated and the deleted file removed from the list.

Something seems to be broken from the update.

What did I miss? Any educated guesses? Is automatic update for NFS shares working for someone? Does the new Thunar require something that is not a direct dependency?

Can I get the old version of Thunar back although I foolishly did not create a backup?

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: No automatic updating with current Thunar  PostPosted: 07.08.2011, 23:49

Partially upgraded systems are much less tested than going all the way; while I can't make any promises for your situation, doing a full dist-upgrade will at least reduce the risk of problems.

seasonsOffline
Post subject: RE: No automatic updating with current Thunar  PostPosted: 08.08.2011, 03:54

Quote:

I admit, my system was not updated for a really long time, but why should I update when it worked.

And yet you chose aptosid. That's... interesting. I'd really recommend you use Debian 6.0/squeeze if you like xfce 4.6 and can't figure out how to salvage your current system.

MichaelMeierOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 08.08.2011, 08:36

Interesting suggestion.
However, I find Debian to be slower on my system than aptosid. The Debian kernels seem to be even more outdated than my less frequently updated system.

But to come back to the topic, I do have a second system that I keep updated to the latest point in aptosid. I use that system less frequently and possible update problems are less of a worry compared to my main system. So I tested with that system and the automatic updating does not work there either. Same situation: a NFS share, I change some file on the server and Thunar does not notice until I change to another folder and back again. Added/deleted files are noted after refreshing with F5.

Even after having used Linux based systems for a few years, I am still considering myself a noob regarding open source. So, please, if there is a more appropriate place to ask for help, let me know. I hope there is someone who uses a comparable configuration with a NFS server and got it to work who can point me in the right direction.

muchan
Post subject:   PostPosted: 08.08.2011, 10:23

Not a very good news, but I found this in the thunar faq:
http://thunar.xfce.org/pwiki/documentation/faq

Quote:

When will it support samba/network browsing?

It already does! Just mount your shares and go to them with Thunar! Just kidding.
You are obviously asking about Thunar being able to discover remote machines on a network and mount/unmount shares from them. What you are asking for is nice, but there is no common framework for it yet that Thunar can build on.
Thunar is designed to be a file manager, not a network file system manager. Once such a beast exists, Thunar and all other applications will be able to use it, and you can browse your samba or NFS shares in firefox or emacs, whatever.
Short answer: not any time soon unless you write it yourself.

and maybe you may find this thread interesting:
http://www.mail-archive.com/thunar-dev@ ... 03567.html

slamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 08.08.2011, 10:39
Team Member

I can recommend PCManFS instead, a new version will be released shortly, which is told to be able to work over networks via (optional) gvfs, and will also be udisks enabled.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
MichaelMeierOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 08.08.2011, 13:57

Thanks for the suggested new file manager, but I tried PCManFM already and it suffers from the same problem.

The FAQ reference is nice, but it is not my problem, because the NFS share is already mounted and behaving like a local folder except that changes made on the server are not picked up in an open Thunar window (a feature that worked just fine with the older Thunar version).

I hate my lack of backups. Sad

piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 08.08.2011, 23:42

MichaelMeier wrote:

I hate my lack of backups. Sad

That's called a real man Wink

MichaelMeierOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 15.08.2011, 11:19

I tried with a vanilla install of the current XFCE iso. The only thing I added was nfs-common to mount the server share.

It is definitely broken. Sad
Touched a file via ssh on the server and Thunar on the client does not see the new file unless refreshed via F5. File size change on the server is not picked up even when refreshing. Only stepping out of the folder and going back in shows the changed file size.

How can I find out what is broken or where the break is?
Help?

CarnophageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 15.08.2011, 18:45

Do You use fam or gamin? Did You try to use the other one then You use at the moment?

MichaelMeierOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 16.08.2011, 13:45

Tried both already.
No luck with either.

I even was so desperate to try different settings in the configuration files of fam and gamin, but that did not improve the situation in any way.

towoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 16.08.2011, 14:02

I have running xfce since ages and can't confirm your problem. Thunar and pcmanfm, both work as expected.
Im using gamin.

MichaelMeierOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 24.09.2011, 04:46

I got it working again. It was really simple too. All I did was install the old version (1.0.2) of thunar from Debian Squeeze.

1. updated sources with a new debian line containing "squeeze" instead of "sid"
2. uninstalled the newer thunar "apt-get purge thunar thunar-data"
3. installed the old version "apt-get install thunar=1.0.2-1+b2 thunar-data=1.0.2-1 thunar-archive-plugin=0.2.4-5 thunar-volman=0.3.80-4 libthunar-vfs-1-2=1.0.2-1+b2"
4. reboot

It works again!
To confirm:
1. open server folder in thunar window
2. ssh to server
3. do "touch test" in ssh on server
4. thunar window picks up the change after a few seconds
5. do "rm test" in ssh on server
6. thunar picks up the change and file vanishes from thunar window
Now, why would that not work with the newer thunar? Suggestions anyone?

Not really a solution, but it works again.

Thanks for your "help" and for believing in me. <-- sarcasm, sorry

MichaelMeierOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.09.2011, 07:10

Why was this topic marked as "solved"?

I only found a way to install the older version of thunar. That does not solve the problem described in the topic.

Please do not mislead the forum users!

gerdOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.09.2011, 09:26

I have this problem not only with ssh/nfs but general. Sometimes updates work, sometimes they don't.

Or a Pdf viewer and kile. If i open a pdf and edit it with another problem the pdf viewer should autoreload. Sometimes it works but most it doesn't. Annoying..

Jump to: