View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ottoOffline
22 Post subject: How do I install nvidia drivers after the kernel 3 [Solved]  PostPosted: 07.09.2011, 20:14

Dear aptosiders,

After compiling and installing the latest versions of 3.0.1x kernel on my aptosid with kde full. I can’t install my nvidia geforce card anylonger. My nvidia is the following:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44 [GeForce 6200 A-LE] (rev a1). Someone else has some hints to install it? I have read the aptosid manual but the procedures indicated there, all failed.Nothing changes for me, all the same.I have read and I tried this warning at http://aptosid.com/index.php?module=wik ... g=GoNvidia
But I didn’t get through! Is there another way like to use the towo repository? Do I have to
use the debian way like this at http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
I appreciate your helpful hints.
Cheers.

Question

Last edited by otto on 26.09.2011, 13:27; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
muchan
Post subject: RE: How do I install nvidia drivers after the kernel 3.01 ?  PostPosted: 07.09.2011, 20:20

I wonder if the problem is not 3.0.1 kernel, but Xorg 1.11.0:
http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphp ... amp;t=1698

ottoOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: How do I install nvidia drivers after the kernel 3.0  PostPosted: 08.09.2011, 03:05

muchan wrote:
I wonder if the problem is not 3.0.1 kernel, but Xorg 1.11.0:
http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphp ... amp;t=1698

Laughing
dear muchan,
Thanks for the prompt reply. The solution must be really the xorg 1.11 as you said to me.
cheers.
Smile

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: How do I install nvidia drivers after the kernel  PostPosted: 08.09.2011, 07:40
Team Member

The problem is the proprietary driver Nvidia, which is not ready for latest Xorg yet. This is not the first time this happens, and it will happen again. We are unable to fix this ongoing problem (because it's closed source), it is up to the manufacturer to do so.
Do you really need this driver? The free and open source driver Nouveau does just fine with GF6200 cards, the HowTow you already linked in the wiki is correct. If you have problems with the steps described there, please let us know in detail.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
ottoOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: How do I install nvidia drivers after the ke  PostPosted: 08.09.2011, 11:48

slam wrote:
The problem is the proprietary driver Nvidia, which is not ready for latest Xorg yet. This is not the first time this happens, and it will happen again. We are unable to fix this ongoing problem (because it's closed source), it is up to the manufacturer to do so.
Do you really need this driver? The free and open source driver Nouveau does just fine with GF6200 cards, the HowTow you already linked in the wiki is correct. If you have problems with the steps described there, please let us know in detail.
Greetings,
Chris

Smile
Hi, slam!
Do you really need this driver? No, I don't.
Do you have problems with the steps described there? yes, I tried but I didn't get through. If you could help me with the steps I'd appreciate too.The commands didn't work at all.
cheers
Cool

kris99Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: How do I install nvidia drivers after th  PostPosted: 08.09.2011, 21:09

Did you came to know a new driver version has arrived: http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphp ... 1696#11696

Kris

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: How do I install nvidia drivers after th  PostPosted: 09.09.2011, 08:25
Team Member

Otto, I reviewed our Nouveau HoTow and did some minor fixes to it. Please review, and report which commands do not work for you, and post the related error messages.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
SordonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 09.09.2011, 09:13

As far as I can recall when I switched to nouveau following the wiki guidelines the following command failed:
      Code:
apt-get purge ^nvidia* ^libnvidia* xserver-xorg-video-nv
because xserver-xorg-video-nv was already removed from my system. Maybe the command should be split in two commands:
      Code:
apt-get purge ^nvidia* ^libnvidia*
apt-get purge xserver-xorg-video-nv

Best Regards
Sordon

slamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 09.09.2011, 09:40
Team Member

Sordon wrote:
As far as I can recall when I switched to nouveau following the wiki guidelines the following command failed:
      Code:
apt-get purge ^nvidia* ^libnvidia* xserver-xorg-video-nv
because xserver-xorg-video-nv was already removed from my system. Maybe the command should be split in two commands:
      Code:
apt-get purge ^nvidia* ^libnvidia*
apt-get purge xserver-xorg-video-nv

Best Regards
Sordon
Thanks for your hint. You are right, purging nv depends on the age of the system used. I clarify that in the wiki now.
Greetings,
Chris

ottoOffline
22 Post subject:   PostPosted: 10.09.2011, 04:52

dear buddies,
I am still in doubt because
another guy explained to me another way to install the noveau as follows:

quotation:
"...Nouveau is used by default, the user has nothing to do for using it.
Nvidia is easyest installed by

apt-get install nvidia-glx

"Using Nouveau after using binary blob is

apt-get purge $(dpkg -l | awk '/nvidia/{print $2}') && rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf
and a reboot".

Question

slamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 10.09.2011, 06:23
Team Member

Otto, the wiki is about HoTow change from nv or nvidia to nouveau on already installed systems, and it describes the method we support. It's content is tested and aproved by several Aptosid devs, so there is no need to ask "another guy".
Yes, nouveau is default and already working out of the box on the recent release.
Greetings,
Chris

ottoOffline
15 Post subject:   PostPosted: 10.09.2011, 17:41

slam wrote:
Otto, the wiki is about HoTow change from nv or nvidia to nouveau on already installed systems, and it describes the method we support. It's content is tested and aproved by several Aptosid devs, so there is no need to ask "another guy".
Yes, nouveau is default and already working out of the box on the recent release.
Greetings,
Chris

Embarassed
Thanks, slam.I don't underestimate the aptosid support. I know you have a top qualified support here. I have no doubt of it.This is the reason I am ever here and I follow you for years since the sidux. But I was in trouble to install it.I don't know it's my hardware because I followed all the the method you taught me but It failed earlier.I will try again later on.
cheers.
Cool

ghstryderOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 11.09.2011, 01:18

I have tried nouveau before, (every time nvidia has had serious personal problems), and the video response was "sluggish", for lack of a better word. I tried again today, and it seems a bit better.

That said, the method outlined worked flawlessly on my laptop. Now, my desktop might be tougher, I have tried multiple times, and it has just not worked. I plan to try again one of these days.

Code:
Host/Kernel/OS  "dv9000" running Linux 3.0-4.slh.3-aptosid-686 i686 [ aptosid 2011-02 Ἡμέρα - kde-full - (201107131633) ]
CPU Info        2x AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 512 KB cache flags( sse3 ht nx lm svm ) clocked at [ 800.000 MHz ]
Videocard       nVidia C67 [GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M]  X.Org 1.11.0  [ 1440x900@59.9hz ]
Network cards   nVidia MCP67
                Atheros AR242x / AR542x Wireless
Processes 131 | Uptime 47min | Memory 508.7/1993.2MB | HDD WDC WD5000BEVT-8 Size 500GB (11%used) | GLX Renderer Gallium 0.4 on NV67 | GLX Version Yes | Client Shell | Infobash v3.37

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 11.09.2011, 04:10

ghstryder wrote:
I have tried nouveau before, (every time nvidia has had serious personal problems), and the video response was "sluggish", for lack of a better word. I tried again today, and it seems a bit better.

That said, the method outlined worked flawlessly on my laptop. Now, my desktop might be tougher, I have tried multiple times, and it has just not worked. I plan to try again one of these days.

Code:
Host/Kernel/OS  "dv9000" running Linux 3.0-4.slh.3-aptosid-686 i686 [ aptosid 2011-02 Ἡμέρα - kde-full - (201107131633) ]
CPU Info        2x AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 512 KB cache flags( sse3 ht nx lm svm ) clocked at [ 800.000 MHz ]
Videocard       nVidia C67 [GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M]  X.Org 1.11.0  [ 1440x900@59.9hz ]
Processes 131 | Uptime 47min | Memory 508.7/1993.2MB | HDD WDC WD5000BEVT-8 Size 500GB (11%used) | GLX Renderer Gallium 0.4 on NV67 | GLX Version Yes | Client Shell | Infobash v3.37

If you have a pretty new video card in your desktop nouveau might not really work well, as support for the newer cards is not yet quite complete

piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 11.09.2011, 17:39

DeepDayze wrote:
      ghstryder wrote:

Code:

If you have a pretty new video card in your desktop nouveau might not really work well, as support for the newer cards is not yet quite complete

Very sluggish with a nVidia GF106 [GeForce 450 GTS], why I try to avoid nouveau, (main box) although it works pretty good on a nvidia 7900

Jump to: