View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ckosloffOffline
Post subject: Problem with Blue Devil [SOLVED]  PostPosted: 08.09.2011, 02:06

Using Imera, KDE full, amd64, updated to kernel 3.0-4.slh.2-aptosid-amd64.
In Application Launcher -> Internet, there is an icon for launching Blue Devil, that does not work.
It tries to launch something but then stalls and disappears.
I don't know what Blue Devil does, could not find anything useful in Google (comic superhero, USAF blimp, etc.).
I'm pretty sure that I won't use it and will remove it, but it is interesting to know why it is there and why it does not work.
EDIT: OK, so it is the KDE bluetooth stack, still does not work.
All related packages are installed.

Last edited by ckosloff on 15.09.2011, 03:59; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
broweOffline
Post subject: RE: Problem with Blue Devil  PostPosted: 08.09.2011, 15:13

There are about a half dozen packages related to bluetooth installed by default in Light and Full releases. When I first noticed it I thought it was strange to inclue bluetooth in every install, but I suppose it is a benefit on the live-cd to claim bluetooth support. It would be nice to be able to opt out of services like this during an install rather than "apt-get purge --remove" them after. There is a checkbox for SSH during install, there could just as easily be a checkbox for a few other services.

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Problem with Blue Devil  PostPosted: 08.09.2011, 15:52

The ssh checkbox is there, because ssh(d) is an externally accessible network service and may be a security risk if a new user chooses weak passwords. Bluetooth on the other hand is hardware support, like scanner (sane), printers (cups and several device specific ones like hplip), etc. and doesn't add an external attack vector (you need to do the pairing first, before it accepts remote connections).

The problem with starting to micro-manage these services is maintenance (especially for bluetooth, which has different frontends for XFCE and KDE; likewise the bluez infrastructure already changed significantly several times already) and user expectation. Many (technically speaking even basically all) bluetooth devices are USB based and therefore (mostly) hotpluggable, which means the user expects a newly attached USB bluetooth device to "just work™" and not deal with the frontend to behave 'strangely' when it can't find an active bluez stack. However if you know for sure that you're never going to use bluetooth, just purge it ("apt-get remove --purge bluez"), but a live CD just has to provide hardware support for common hardware[1].

--
[1] if possible in a dfsg-free manner and technically feasible (e.g. huge dependencies chains for niche devices would not be)

ckosloffOffline
Post subject: RE: Problem with Blue Devil  PostPosted: 09.09.2011, 00:53

Great technical reading, but...may I ask why Blue Devil is not launching?

ckosloffOffline
Post subject: RE: Problem with Blue Devil  PostPosted: 15.09.2011, 03:58

Answer is simple.
Bluetooth service is running but,,,no adapters found, so bluetooth is off.
I don't have any bluetooth adapters on this computer.
Sorry.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: RE: Problem with Blue Devil  PostPosted: 15.09.2011, 04:20

If you got a USB BT adapter then you can use that to pair up your bluetooth devices using Blue Devil

SordonOffline
Post subject: Your posts are funny  PostPosted: 15.09.2011, 07:41

Sorry ckosloff, but your posts are funny. This is the second time you complain that a certain driver is not working. And in both cases it is about a driver for hardware you do not have.

Here you complain about the nvidia driver only to admit later on that you have an AMD graphics card installed.

Here you complain that the Bluedevil bluetooth driver is not working. Only to admit later on that you do not have a bluetooth adapter on your system.

So I would strongly suggest that you check first if a hardware is installed at all in your system before you complain. Thus not wasting other people's time.

Best Regards,
Sordon

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: Your posts are funny  PostPosted: 15.09.2011, 09:35
Team Member

I am closing this topic. The OT does not own the hardware he wants to use the drivers for, and meta-talk does not lead us anywhere.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Jump to: