View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Thats_meOffline
15 Post subject: [solved] New Mountpoint - edit fstab (sorry long question)  PostPosted: 23.10.2011, 12:56

Hello,

I am a newcomer in Linux and my English ist very bad.
So please excuse me for bad words. I will try to understand your answers and need your help.
Sorry for long text, but I think it's important to describe the problem exactly.

Bevore install aptosid I made 3 Partitions in an extended Partition. But while installation I missed to set a mountpoint for my third Partition called "Daten". So I guess the system set the 3. partition in media. I also have an old windows data Partition, but this is not my problem.

I need to mount my 3. Linux data Partition in the system. This are my Linux
Partitions shown in GParted

sda 1 = extended
sda 5 = ext 4 mountpoint / (root?) (logical drives start with sda 5)
sda 6 = ext 4 mountpoint /home
sda 7 = ext 4 mountpoint is empty. The Label of the device ist "Daten" it's my Partition for my Linux datas. (just empty)

mount - l show this:
      Quote:
/dev/sda5 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,commit=0)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,size=5242880,mode=755,size=5242880,mode=755)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=755,size=10%,mode=755)
tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880,mode=1777,size=5242880,mode=1777)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,size=20%,mode=1777,size=20%,mode=1777)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,size=20%,mode=1777,size=20%,mode=1777)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/sda2 on /media/disk1part2 type fuseblk (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_permissions) [DATA]
/dev/sda6 on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,commit=0)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)

The original fstab was this:
      Quote:
UUID=D662BC1B62BBFE75 /media/disk1part2 ntfs auto,users,ro,dmask=0022,fmask=0133,nls=utf8 0 0
UUID=0b79f1fd-8e43-4a5d-96b3-e94bbb9325bf / ext4 defaults,relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
UUID=46dde793-9723-465e-ae20-b175264d16d5 /home ext4 defaults,relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 2
UUID=9a505d1d-bd25-4899-835a-661b3d09bc1a /media/disk1part7 ext4 auto,users,rw,exec,relatime 0 0 #(this is th UUID of my sda7)
UUID=dde16a28-8b81-4927-8c17-485b6c61e3c3 none swap sw

I tryed it this way to mount my 3. partiton.
1. unmount the sda7 in Gparted (I dont remember the mountpoint in GParted before unmounting)
2. mkdir /Daten (in the terminal an the directory is set)
3. edit fstab like this (with Krusader as root)

Quote:
UID=D662BC1B62BBFE75 /media/disk1part2 ntfs auto,users,ro,dmask=0022,fmask=0133,nls=utf8 0 0
UUID=0b79f1fd-8e43-4a5d-96b3-e94bbb9325bf / ext4 defaults,relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
UUID=46dde793-9723-465e-ae20-b175264d16d5 /home ext4 defaults,relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 2
UUID=9a505d1d-bd25-4899-835a-661b3d09bc1a /Daten ext4 defaults,users,sync,relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 2
UUID=dde16a28-8b81-4927-8c17-485b6c61e3c3 none swap sw 0 0

Then I made a boot and got the following failure message obout the sda 7.

fck.ext unable to resolve UUID (here is shown the UUID of the Partion sda7)
The log show this:
      Quote:
fsck from util-linux 2.19.1
/dev/sda6: clean, 54406/1602496 files, 560248/6402304 blocks
fsck.ext4: Unable to resolve 'UUID=9a505d1d-bd25-4899-835a-661b3d09bc1a'
fsck died with exit status 8

Know I dont know what is wrong. Is it possible that it is wrong if the last number in the fstab is set of 2? Should I set this on nr. 3. that the system check this dev at last? I read this link about meaning of the last number in fstab about the "pass" : http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fstab

Sorry for long text and thx in advance TM

PS: Ok it'S not very good when the label of the dev is the same name like the mountpoint. both are called "Daten" in my case.

Last edited by Thats_me on 23.10.2011, 16:23; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
hefeeOffline
Post subject: RE: New Mountpoint - edit fstab (sorry long question)  PostPosted: 23.10.2011, 13:26

The best way to get the right UUID is to look at "ls -ls /dev/disk/by-uuid" (and print it here) there you will see all UUIDs and the devices. The way you did modify the fstab etc. is correct.

Ok, on Linux you don't create normally main folders /Daten, i'd create something like /media/daten (all lowercase, 'cause Linux differs D and d Smile but this is a personal opinion - your system is ok with a additional main folder!

Btw, there is also a german forum for aptosid: http://aptosidusers.de

diblOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: New Mountpoint - edit fstab (sorry long question)  PostPosted: 23.10.2011, 13:57

hefee wrote:
The best way to get the right UUID is to look at "ls -ls /dev/disk/by-uuid"

When you have a problem with multiple partitions and/or drives, here is a very helpful command to see the complete picture in a root terminal:

Code:
# blkid -c /dev/null -o list

Thats_meOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: New Mountpoint - edit fstab (sorry long question)  PostPosted: 23.10.2011, 14:22

hefee wrote:
The best way to get the right UUID is to look at "ls -ls /dev/disk/by-uuid" (and print it here) there you will see all UUIDs and the devices. The way you did modify the fstab etc. is correct.

Ok thx for quick answer!

I made now this
      Quote:
In Terminal as root blkid
/dev/sda2: LABEL="DATA" UUID="D662BC1B62BBFE75" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda7: UUID="fe2553fb-a5a3-4c6a-a017-5abbd7662a6b" TYPE="ext4" LABEL="Daten"
/dev/sda8: UUID="dde16a28-8b81-4927-8c17-485b6c61e3c3" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sda5: UUID="0b79f1fd-8e43-4a5d-96b3-e94bbb9325bf" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda6: UUID="46dde793-9723-465e-ae20-b175264d16d5" TYPE="ext4"

There the UUID of sda 7 was changed.
So I changed the fstab an copied the new UUID in my fstab. The boot ist know ok, but I can not use the new sda7.

It's difficult for me to explain in englisch.
In the datamanager is shown the directory lost+found. (this I can not open, because of no authoryty.)
and media.
In the direktory /media there is /media/disk1part2 (must be my ntfs partition)
and /media/diskpsrt7 (this must be my sda 7 Partition for Linux datas)
Both are folders and empty.

The directory "Daten" is set.

If I try to copy a file in /Data or /media/diskpart7
is shown "acces denied can not write to /media/diskpart7.

Quote:
Ok, on Linux you don't create normally main folders /Daten, i'd create something like /media/daten (all lowercase, 'cause Linux differs D and d Smile but this is a personal opinion - your system is ok with a additional main folder!

Hmmm, thx, but something must be wrong, because he can not write on this devices (look ahead)
But the rw ist set in the fstab.

Quote:
Btw, there is also a german forum for aptosid: http://aptosidusers.de

GREAT! Thank you very much! I didn't find in the searchengine.

So may be I try there, when I have my next problem (hope not Wink )
But may be with this problem you can help me anyway.

towoOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: New Mountpoint - edit fstab (sorry long questio  PostPosted: 23.10.2011, 14:24

Since you ar using a linux-fs on this partition, you have to set the whished rights with chown/chmod for it.

Thats_meOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: New Mountpoint - edit fstab (sorry long question)  PostPosted: 23.10.2011, 14:34

dibl wrote:
      hefee wrote:
The best way to get the right UUID is to look at "ls -ls /dev/disk/by-uuid"

When you have a problem with multiple partitions and/or drives, here is a very helpful command to see the complete picture in a root terminal:

Code:
# blkid -c /dev/null -o list

Sorry @dibl. Thx very much for your hint!
I didn't read your answer before. So I made only the command "bklid" without parameters. But the result gave enough informations. Anyway I will save this command for later in my "leraning-list" Wink

It's very much to learn in Linux and sometimes confusing me, because of this many commands and the new filestructure. *moaning*

Thats_meOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: New Mountpoint - edit fstab (sorry long que  PostPosted: 23.10.2011, 14:39

towo wrote:
Since you ar using a linux-fs on this partition, you have to set the whished rights with chown/chmod for it.

Ok, I herad about this. But I'm not sure what ist the complete command.
I'm very sorry. I don't find a right example in the Internet.
Could it be
      Code:
chmod a+x /dev/Daten

Is it possible please, to write me the whole command?
I'm sorry I started first time with Linux 2 days before

I would appreciate this very much.

hefeeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: New Mountpoint - edit fstab (sorry long  PostPosted: 23.10.2011, 15:20

(you've mount your device to /Daten)

If you as only user wants to use this partition. (replace user and group with the actual user and group you have):
      Code:

chown user:group /Daten

If you have a multiusers environment you have to change rights too... (You have?)

PS: you normaly havn't to change the permissions of the device (/dev/sda7). You are working with te mounted part /Daten.
      Code:

chmod a+x /Daten

This command#d allows all users to enter this directory. But for creating/reading a file you neead also read/write permisions:
      Code:

chmod a+rxw /Daten

(this works but isn't a very good/clean solution, because now all users/deamons etc can enter into this directory...)

Thats_meOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: New Mountpoint - edit fstab (sorry long  PostPosted: 23.10.2011, 16:03

Thx you very much.

I tried this. Do I have to reboot?

I use my PC allone. I tried to find out the name of the group and looked in /home/maureen

/home is only root an /home/maureen is my folder.
as user there is written Maureen (maureen) and as Group there ist written maureen

So I made these commands

Code:
root@laptop:/home/maureen# chown maureen /Daten
root@laptop:/home/maureen# chmod a+x /Daten
root@laptop:/home/maureen# chmod a+rxw /Daten

Thx you very much.

I tried this. Do I have to reboot?

I use my PC allone. I tried to find out the name of the group and looked in /home/maureen

/home is only root an /home/maureen is my folder.
as user there is written Maureen (maureen) and as Group there ist written maureen

So I made these commands

Code:
root@laptop:/home/maureen# chown maureen /Daten
root@laptop:/home/maureen# chmod a+x /Daten
root@laptop:/home/maureen# chmod a+rxw /Daten

The command chown Maureen /Daten is an invalid user.

Now ich can copy files.

Much Thanks @all!!

Jump to: