View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
kenyeeOffline
Post subject: Anyone use Sandy Bridge or Llano video at 1080 w/ MythTV?  PostPosted: 13.10.2011, 19:33

Just wondering how they handle 1080i/60 and 1080p/24 video.
Sandy Bridge initially showed only 24 frames per second instead of the 23.976 it's supposed to but in the Windows world, you have to turn off UAC to get it to the right speed.
I think Llano has the right frame rates, but was hoping someone could confirm they're running MythTV w/ either...

Reply with quote Back to top
piperOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone use Sandy Bridge or Llano video at 1080 w/ MythTV  PostPosted: 14.10.2011, 15:58

Hi kenyee

Can you post that question here

http://www.mythtvtalk.com/forum/

You would get a better response Wink

kenyeeOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone use Sandy Bridge or Llano video at 1080 w/ MythTV  PostPosted: 14.10.2011, 17:18

Dug for a while on the mythtv site and came to this conclusion:
- the atom/ion2 is a much better front end for MythTV because it uses nvidia drivers (aka VDPAU support for MythTV)
- nvidia drivers are the best for deinterlacing
- sandy bridge's built-in graphics isn't as good at deinterlacing and lots of bugs right now
- AMD Llano works only if you don't do deinterlacing (MythTV won't use VAAPI until version 0.25 and even then, it doesn't have as many deinterlacing options as the nvidia VDPAU drivers), however you can get tear-free playback by using this guide:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... rs-786335/

Looks like the best thing to do is to use nvidia graphics for MythTV, but there aren't any motherboards Razz

Not sure if I'm going this route yet, but this looks like the only real HTPC option for a Sandy Bridge processor (nothing for AMD AFAIK):
http://www.provantage.com/zotac-z68itx-b-e~7ZOTC094.htm
And Zotac has a reputation for really crappy QC Razz

detaosOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone use Sandy Bridge or Llano video at 1080 w/ MythTV  PostPosted: 15.10.2011, 02:19
Team Member

there's no reason to put sandybridge in an htpc. have a look at System76's Meerkat Ion NetTop [ http://www.system76.com/desktops/model/meerkat ]. It's not as much fun as part building, but it's got hdmi and an optical tos link and is more than capable of proper 1080p playback, ie perfect for an htpc running mythtv.

kenyeeOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone use Sandy Bridge or Llano video at 1080 w/ MythTV  PostPosted: 15.10.2011, 12:37

it'd be a combo mythtvbackend and frontend and a backup virtualbox server, so that's the reason for a bit of overkill Smile

cid-babaOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone use Sandy Bridge or Llano video at 1080 w/ MythTV  PostPosted: 15.10.2011, 13:54

then I'd suggest: test sandy bridge - if it doesn't work as you expect you can switch off the intel-gpu, buy a cheap nvidia-card (gt520) and use vdpau Wink

DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone use Sandy Bridge or Llano video at 1080 w/ MythTV  PostPosted: 15.10.2011, 15:05
Team Member

intel isn't intel and sandy-bridge isn't sandy-bridge… It like saying you have an nvidia card. Is it one from ten years ago or a recent extreme edition?

Have a look here for starters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#HD_Graphics
HD is what classifies mostly as sandy-brigde. A bit deeper down on the page you can find a table which is more specific.
My new bugdet-laptop is powered by a i3-2330M as its only graphic card and i can life very well with that (to be fair, i explicitly wanted an intel card because i prefer worry-free operation). I don't believe in benchmarks and i am not a highpower-user for graphics, but if you can tell me what you need to know i might be able to test it for you…

Some comments nontheless:
- my multimedia setup is completely different with a very lowpower plugcomputer (sheevaplug) for recording with vdr and serving/streaming. Playback is done on any machine by accessing recordings over nfs exports (i am too lazy for proper streaming so far). But even this sheevaplug can stream live dvb-t (mpeg2-transport) to my laptop over an http interface so are you sure you need a powerhorse as mediacenter?
- my multimedia taste might be misguided for you as i don't get the current fuzz about blueray/HD/3D… Maybe i am wrong, but i am watching a film usually because of the story and not because an actor throws a ball and it feels like the ball is going to hit me now…
- the same is true for my gaming style, so the most recent game i tried is GTA3 nine years old… but playable in full-details Wink
(okay, that's not really a game with a great story, but i like free play & being the bad guy -- or a taxi driver)
- Yes, intel cards have bugs as well, but i only had occasional crashes from DRM in 3d games with wine and that isn't the most bugfree setup anyway and newer kernel/intel/drm/mesa combi seems to improve it so these bugs are here to get fixed. Not like the nvidia/radeon card-bugs in the closed blobs which are included to make you buy a new card…

Jump to: