View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SpaceferretOffline
19 Post subject: [solved]Internet connection is lost  PostPosted: 29.10.2011, 06:48

This is a follow-up to my previous topic regarding hostname change. After removing host-name from request stanza the hostname problem seemed solved. However , when I tried to launch Kmail I received a warning saying that Kmail and Kontact are running on previous alphanumeric hostname that was assigned before I have altered dhclient.conf
After that Kmail didn't fetch any messages and Internet connection was lost. I restored the edited file to it's previous state (by deleting it and renaming dhclient.conf~ ) .I double-checked it to make sure it consists the request host-name option which I removed prior to that, but still I can't restore Internet connection although the network monitor status is "connected". I'm using livecd to post this topic, what can be done to restore connection ?

Last edited by Spaceferret on 29.10.2011, 20:01; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
slamOffline
Post subject: RE: Internet connection is lost after editing dhclient.conf  PostPosted: 29.10.2011, 07:08
Team Member

Please do not split the topic. and refer to my answer to your initial one. After changing your hostname You need to run the command I posted there, or reboot.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
SpaceferretOffline
Post subject: RE: Internet connection is lost after editing dhclient.conf  PostPosted: 29.10.2011, 16:50

Sorry Chris, there was but a little problem with your recommendation.It didn't do anything.Removing 'request host-name' did exactly what I was trying to do.But now I have no Internet connection,restoring file to it's previous state doesn't make a difference and I have to resort to Live CD. I marked my previous topic as solved that is why I decided to post this as a new topic to make sure it will attract attention,I'm pretty sure someone out there has the solution

SpaceferretOffline
Post subject: RE: Internet connection is lost after editing dhclient.conf  PostPosted: 29.10.2011, 20:06

Everything is back to normal now.I have 2 dhcp folders, dhcp and dhcp3 . I edited one and left intact the other. I'm not sure which one the system uses, but at the end of the day everything's fine and that was the goal. Thanks slh for help !

Jump to: