View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
usgsOffline
Post subject: # apt-get dist-upgrade -s  PostPosted: 08.11.2011, 17:27

Hello,

I've not used aptosid for some time. I just ran in konsole, as root:

# apt-get update
# apt-get dist-upgrade -s

Usually I see in konsole, in the early part of the output of
' # apt-get dist-upgrade -s ' what's to be modified, removed, added, etc. But today the early part isn't seen. What do I add to
' # apt-get dist-upgrade -s ' so that I can read and study the early part of that output?

[In my P4, 32 bit computer, my OS kernel is 3.0-6.slh.5-aptosid-686 i686 ]

Thanks

Reply with quote Back to top
DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: # apt-get dist-upgrade -s  PostPosted: 08.11.2011, 19:10
Team Member

What is an 'early part'?

Was what you entered 'apt-get dist-upgrade' or '# apt-get dist-upgrade'? The later is a comment, as # is a comment on the command line, so nothing will be executed behind #…

btw: The simulation can (and should) be run as non-root.

usgsOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: # apt-get dist-upgrade -s  PostPosted: 08.11.2011, 19:26

DonKult wrote:
What is an 'early part'?

Was what you entered 'apt-get dist-upgrade' or '# apt-get dist-upgrade'? The later is a comment, as # is a comment on the command line, so nothing will be executed behind #…

btw: The simulation can (and should) be run as non-root.

Thanks DonKult for your help.

I used # to mean "run as root, as superuser".

First I ran apt-get update and then, after that was done, I ran apt-get dist-upgrade -s .

In the early part of the output of apt-get dist-upgrade -s
I usually see what will be changed, added and removed, but today I only saw it briefly in konsole and then could not go up to it in the output. Why did that happen in konsole? Did it happen because there was just so much info that the early part is not shown and cannot be examined when the output ends? Before I drop to run level 3 to do the update and the d-u, I'd first like to see, in konsole, what will be done by a d-u.

DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: # apt-get dist-upgrade -s  PostPosted: 08.11.2011, 21:14
Team Member

Ah, now i understand what you mean…

Try
      Code:
apt-get dist-upgrade -o Debug::NoLocking=1 --trivial-only
(as normal user, just to be sure!) --trivial-only is something like an 'say no to every question you ask' flag, the first is to allow APT to run as "normal" user as it doesn't lock it's environment - critical if you install something as root to prevent someone else to install something at the same time, but here we just want to look at the output, we don't install something.

Simulation (-s) says (unfortunately) yes to every question by default, so we "need" this trickery. As always, APT will print this report also in the "finial" run in init 3, so you will always see that… (and you see the question we skip here with either of the flags).

For 'konsole' fixture (assuming you mean the kde konsole), right-click in the konsole, choose 'Configure current profile…', choose tab 'Scrolling' and enable 'Unlimited Scrollback as well as the scrollbar on whichever side you prefer. Otherwise Page-Up and Page-Down in combination with Shift should move you up and down in the scrollback…

usgsOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: # apt-get dist-upgrade -s  PostPosted: 09.11.2011, 00:02

DonKult wrote:
For 'konsole' fixture (assuming you mean the kde konsole), right-click in the konsole, choose 'Configure current profile…', choose tab 'Scrolling' and enable 'Unlimited Scrollback as well as the scrollbar on whichever side you prefer. Otherwise Page-Up and Page-Down in combination with Shift should move you up and down in the scrollback…

Thanks again DonKult!

CaesarTjalboOffline
Post subject: Re: # apt-get dist-upgrade -s  PostPosted: 09.11.2011, 22:50

usgs wrote:
What do I add to ' # apt-get dist-upgrade -s ' so that I can read and study the early part of that output?
A quick control-c to stop the execution of the program.

Jump to: