View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
statmonkeyOffline
Post subject: unable to install - boot screen unreadable  PostPosted: 13.11.2011, 03:26

I have an Acer Aspire 722 with ATI HD radeon, amd dual core C50.

Boot from usb everything seemingly loads fine but .. screen is unreadable, behind the screen static I can see an outline of something going on but it seems to just endlessly loop at this point and no matter how long I wait it never resolves.

I attempted to use several vga cheat codes to try to resolve this including vga=0 as suggested in the manual all with no luck. It seems others have gotten this to work but I can find no postings explaining how to resolve this issue.

My first step would be to ask again. Has anyone gotten Aptosid to run on this netbook?

Me next would be has anyone seen these issues?

I have no screen issues booting to crunchbang, LinuxMint, Win7, Ubuntu, Fedora, so I have to believe this is something about Aptosid. I could be wrong but pretty frustrated after 2 weeks. Aptosid has spoiled me, I really don't want to run any of this other crap and any help would be appreciated.

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: unable to install - boot screen unreadable  PostPosted: 13.11.2011, 03:43

Add "radeon.modeset=0" to the graphical commandline of the bootloader, it will likely start fine then. Install "firmware-linux-nonfree" (from non-free) on the live CD before installing to HDD, it will end up on the new install that way and you don't need above kernel parameter anymore.

Background, a few radeon chipsets (apparently newer ones in particular) appear not to degrade gracefully in the absence of their firmware, so you'll need to disable KMS temporarily, until you can provide it with the required firmware - once its there, the chipset will be supported fine.

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: