View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ikeinthaiOffline
Post subject: web design. joomla?  PostPosted: 25.11.2011, 13:07

hi all, i'd like to try building a website. a friend who does some of this suggested i try joomla. anyone have any thoughts on this?

i couldn't find it among the Debian packages.

any thoughts on joomla or alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

best to all, ike.

Reply with quote Back to top
drbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.11.2011, 13:42

I use joomla . . . but edit it on my hosting service. It's been very easy to use for a novice like me. Lots of 'free' templates and extensions to do most things.

SordonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.11.2011, 14:34

I'm using the following CMS and can recommend them:

http://www.cmsimple-xh.com/
http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/

CaesarTjalboOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.11.2011, 20:48

Make a list of your requirements, don't hesitate to go into tiny details. Prioritize them. Have a look at the available CMS software. Go through the requirements phase again. Look at the available CMS software. Give up and take whatever your neighbour/cousin/the pope is using.

Points to consider:
  • license
  • maturity
  • community
  • ease of installation
  • ease of administration
  • level of control required
  • capabilities of the people who work with it (admin, content creators, users)
  • language (coding language & I18n/l10n)
  • database
  • potential issues with hosting (root access, webserver admin panel, technology)

Mte90Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.11.2011, 15:58

I use many cms all but joomla that not like it because is heavy and difficult to use for customers.
i suggest:
wordpress, websitebaker/lepton, drupal and gpeasy.
however, you must do as CaesarTjalbo says Smile

ikeinthaiOffline
Post subject: belated thank you.  PostPosted: 22.12.2011, 05:04

hello all,

a belated thank you for the excellent suggestions for CMSs and your personal opinions and experiences of same.

special thank you to CesarTjalbo for his always concise/cut-to-the-meat analysis.

all the best, ike.

slamOffline
Post subject: Re: web design. joomla?  PostPosted: 22.12.2011, 07:57
Team Member

ikeinthai wrote:
i couldn't find it among the Debian packages.
While it is true for your local applications to better stick to the packages offered by Debian and us, for web applications the situation is different. Just a very small fraction of them is packaged in Debian, and often outdated. However, you do not need them.

All modern web applications are simple to install and upgrade: Download the package and extract it to your web root, open your browser and run the install script. For upgrades, many provide automatic checks for available upgrades and a simple click through upgrade process.

Regarding CMS choices: There are tons of them. If you are new to them I suggest to simply test the demo installs from the most well known ones, and pick the one you feel most comfortable with. Wordpress and Joomla are good examples of this category. After you get more experienced and understand what you really need, you should follow the advice already given above and evaluate based on a list of needs and wishes.

Do not forget to have a look at the history of your CMS, otherwise you might end up without support and upgrades very fast. Stick to bigger projects with a serious development team.

Zikula, the CMS framework we do use here for aptosid.com for example is known for it's long time perfect security record, it's performance, flexibility and adaptability. It is however not a beginner friendly simple ready made CMS, more a high tech construction kit for experienced web designers who know what they want.

Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
DonKultOffline
Post subject: Re: web design. joomla?  PostPosted: 22.12.2011, 11:41
Team Member

slam wrote:
All modern web applications are simple to install and upgrade:

I have to concur with this claim. Most of them are a hell to install if you want to do it cleanly. Most of the time this is so hard (or even close to impossible) that upstream bundles everything inside a tarball. Something we consider bad for desktop applications is suddenly acceptable for web stuff. Why you might ask. The problem is that a lot of webstuff has a very short lifetime and therefore the developers don't care for security or compatibility, so it's not uncommon to have libjs-a v1 packaged just to notice that libjs-a v1.01 out which breaks everything as it is a rewrite in a different (sub)language… (if released explicitly at all - usually new commit equals a new version…)
And in the end a lot of webapps do not use libjs-a v1 but a libjs-a v1+slightly-modified-for-my-project.

To avoid the tarball many have a "better" idea: Create a language-community specific packagemanager. With the great feature of downloading random unverifiable tarballs from the internet and usually install it as root. Rolling Eyes

So, what to learn from this? As slam said, choose carefully.

piperOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: web design. joomla?  PostPosted: 23.12.2011, 16:18

I use kwrite for my personal homepage Wink

ikeinthaiOffline
Post subject: powerful presence.  PostPosted: 14.03.2012, 14:02

knowledge is power, and the aptosid forums are powerFULL.

slightly belated 8D thank you to slam and donkult for my christmas presents, and their tireless work on a wonderful operating system.

@piper: Cheektowaga buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo?

yours in sport, ike.

detaosOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: web design. joomla?  PostPosted: 14.03.2012, 16:03
Team Member

piper wrote:
I use kwrite for my personal homepage Wink

+1 Smile

Jump to: