View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
powdered.toast.manOffline
Post subject: ipv6 disable  PostPosted: 18.12.2011, 06:56

How can I set my network manager to ignore ipv6. It slows down loading mzilla apps.

I have WICD installed which works nicely for me http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=382&highlight=

Netwirk Manager has a drop down for ipv6 "ignore", "automatic" etc.

Ceni doesn't have any option regarding ipv6.

EDIT

I used an ubuntu hack described here http://www.techairlines.com/2010/10/03/disable-ipv6-on-ubuntu-to-speed-up-browsing/ to turn off ipv6 system wide.

Before anyone yells at me for posting it, let me state that I am not offering this as a solution to the slow startup problem with mozilla browsers. Especially since it didn't help speed up Iceweasel or Firefox-Aurora that much.

Reply with quote Back to top
Post subject:   PostPosted: 20.12.2011, 21:19

Wow over 100 views and no responses.

I guess I did answer my own question.

So let me ask this, How do I speed up loading network apps?

Iceweasel takes about 15 seconds from the time I click its icon to open.

Xfce4-weather-plugin has to be refreshed 3 times before it accesses data.

diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 20.12.2011, 22:05

Having used the "U" word, this thread is probably headed for the Dragons Dept. anyway, so I'll share this old, but still valid info.

There may be other things that you can do -- try turning off desktop effects, for example. If you post the output of

Code:
infobash -v3

to show your hardware and installed system, it might give further hints.

Post subject:   PostPosted: 20.12.2011, 22:40

Code:
chris@clbb:~$ infobash -v3
Host/Kernel/OS  "clbb.net" running Linux 3.1-5.slh.3-aptosid-amd64 x86_64 [ aptosid 2011-02 Ἡμέρα - xfce - (201107131632) ]
CPU Info        4x Intel Atom D510 @ 512 KB cache flags( sse3 ht nx lm ) clocked at [ 1662.734 MHz ]
Videocard       nVidia NV44A [GeForce 6200]  X.Org 1.11.2.902  [ 1024x768@0.0hz ]
Network cards   Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit
Processes 123 | Uptime 1:28 | Memory 274.4/1992.2MB | HDD WDC WD1600AAJS-0 Size 168GB (0%used) | GLX Renderer Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe | GLX Version Yes | Client Shell | Infobash v3.37

Not running any desktop effects.

slamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 21.12.2011, 09:56
Team Member

We do not ship or recommend network-manager, so most of us will also not use it - that's the reason for no answers. Have a look at Ceni, which is our own network tool in Aptosid, and the supported one.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
DonKultOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 21.12.2011, 10:31
Team Member

Noone commented because everyone has ipv6 disabled expect you and their internet is therefore so blazing fast that millions of pages are flickering over their screens in a split second, so your question was overlooked…

If it's just mozilla apps, have a look at the config option: network.dns.disableIPv6
But note what the description says: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.dns.disableIPv6
Especially the "Some suggest that setting this preference to true on any OS will speed up connections, though this is probably a placebo effect."

titanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 21.12.2011, 13:38

powdered.toast.man wrote:

Less than 1 second for me, ipv6 is not disabled in Iceweasel.

slhOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 21.12.2011, 15:05

IPv6 support is not a bug, but a necessity.

If you experience problems with IPv6, some gear between your system (aptosid is IPv6 capable, as are modern versions of Windows and OSX) is simply broken (most likely your router) and in need of replacement (a firmware upgrade may fix this). There is no problem if your router can't do IPv6 yet, but it mustn't fail to properly reject IPv6 operations then, rather than claiming to support it, while actually failing to actually deliver.

Post subject:   PostPosted: 21.12.2011, 18:47

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys. I'll try to acknowledge them all in this post.

As I mentioned in my original post, "Ceni doesn't have any option regarding ipv6" so I tried Ceni but it didn't do anything for me. Am I to understand that other network managers, though in the repository, are not supported if they do not ship with the OS?

I have ipv6 disabled in all my browsers and it does make a difference in responsiveness once the browsers are opened. This "fix" was also mentioned in the ubuntu hack that I referred to in my original post.

I boot 2 other OS's, Arch and openSUSE. On my Arch installation my network is "so blazing fast that millions of pages are flickering over my screen in a split second" My openSUSE network speed is somewhere in between Arch and Aptosid.

Edit

I timed openSUSE and it is actually slower the Aptosid:

Firefox took 18 seconds to start up.

My post here is about start up time. I have used network manager on other OS's and set the ipv6 option from "automatic" to "ignore" and sped the start up time considerably.

I was hoping to find a solution here that does the same thing network manager does with the ipv6 option, without actually installing network manager, because I do like it either.

My Internet Service Provider does not offer ipv6. My router doesn't support ipv6 and its the same router that I use when starting up Firefox in less than 1 second on Arch.

Last edited by powdered.toast.man on 21.12.2011, 19:16; edited 1 time in total

Post subject:   PostPosted: 21.12.2011, 19:01

titan wrote:

Less than 1 second for me, ipv6 is not disabled in Iceweasel.

I have to respond to this post separately. I have gotten responses like this many times in many forums. I try to tell myself that they are offering encouragement, "see I did it, so it is possible".

I can't help think that you're saying " don't blame the OS, because it works for me and therefore the problem must be with you."

If this is true, then let me say that your response is not helpful in any way and may I suggest not responding at all if that is all you have to say.

titanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 21.12.2011, 19:58

I can't help think that you're saying " don't blame the OS, because it works for me and therefore the problem must be with you."

If this is true, then let me say that your response is not helpful in any way and may I suggest not responding at all if that is all you have to say.

You can interpret my reply any way you want, I was just illustrating that enabled ipv6 has no affect on Iceweasel start up times for me. And no worries about me replying to any of your future posts, I won't be.

Post subject:   PostPosted: 21.12.2011, 20:12

I suppose that it would be hard to see any difference in Iceweasel start up time for you with ipv6 disabled.

I always wonder why you get that one last spam email after unsubscribing. It must be a "last word" thing.

DonKultOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 21.12.2011, 21:36
Team Member

I suppose that it would be hard to see any difference in Iceweasel start up time […] with ipv6 disabled

That's my take on that…

In reality, maybe different iceweasel versions (claim to) have different startup times, newer is usually faster (but not always). Different extension (versions) and other setups can affect startup, too. At startup, files are loaded from harddisk, not from the internet…

So measure startup-time is hard - you always need to start from a cold-cache, which means remove from RAM cache, kill all temp/cache files, … Claiming that an oven you used ten seconds ago at a heat of 200°C is faster at 210°C than a oven you haven't used in a year and stored in a big fridge isn't that surprising…

Post subject:   PostPosted: 21.12.2011, 21:47

So you're saying that without cleaning out the cache, that my browser should start faster than with the cache empty.

It still takes too long. I have tried Iceweasel 8.0, Firefox-Aurora 10.0, Midori 0.4.2 and Chromium 15.0. Both mozilla browsers took 15 seconds while the webkit based midori and chromium took less than 1 second.

Maybe its the gecko engine or xulrunner slowing down the mozilla browsers.

piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.12.2011, 16:27

IMHO iceweasel/firefox has been slow since after phoenix, phoenix kicked ass.

I am running
      Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:12.0a1) Gecko/20111223 Firefox/12.0a1 ID:20111223032107
at the moment, I have no problems with speed, addons, themes (at least the ones I normally use)

Jump to: