View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
casOffline
Post subject: new partition "used"? reserved blocks?  PostPosted: 27.09.2010, 19:58

hello,
i have two questions:

1)
what exactly does "used" mean in gparted?
even new, completely empty partitions have considerable space "used", sometimes several Gigs, cf. http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5508 ... dbibo1.png (column "benutzt").

has it something to do with the reserved blocks?
i know i can change the reserved blocks with
      Code:
tune2fs -r 1024 /dev/sda11
or
      Code:
tune2fs -m .1 /dev/sda11
but the display in gparted doesn't go under "1% used", even if i klick "refresh devices".

2)
what is a reasonable size of reserved blocks on a large partition, 100G or 500G for example?

thanks, cas

Reply with quote Back to top
ikeinthaiOffline
Post subject: journaling file systems.  PostPosted: 30.09.2010, 05:51

could it have to do with ext3 and ext4 being journaling file systems, and some space being reserved for whatever it is that journaling file systems do, and the lost & found files that they have?

ike.

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: