View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
xetaprimeOffline
Post subject: The Road to aptosid  PostPosted: 05.07.2011, 15:29

Good Morning,

One of my issues right now is everything it working great! So what to say? Don't say anything? Nahh Very Happy

So what road have you taken to be here in aptosid? Where did you start off? Which did you bail on? Which did you enjoy?

My very first liniux was Turbo Linux- I do believe it was 1998. I think I bought it in a close-out store. It was a white box with a big black and yellow penguin on the cover. and being a way more noob back then it took forever to install it correctly. I remember buying one of those Linux how-tos that even came with a cd and was about 6 inches thick.

Of course upon learning of DW I started distro hopping. I think my next one was Corel Linux and then Xandros which eventually let me down. Knoppix was next and then I was a long time Mepis user before they jumped on board Ubuntu and it has never fared well with me since. PCLinuxOS served me well until KDE 3.5+ went to heaven but definitely had a slower feel than Debian. One of my fond memories was ELX Linux. It had some cool options but that too ended. After PCLOS I did do a stint with Ubuntu 10.4 but elive and moonos captured my interest with e17 and my desire to return to a more pure Debian awakened and it feels great to be back!

Last year or more I tried aptosid and was astonished how quick it booted in and as I mentioned elsewhere the incredibly simple and fast Installer. But because of my lack of knowledge on installing e17 and my love of itask-NG or currently- engage, I played with other distros until now. But once I saw e17 go in aptosid I was happy!

Anyone care to share the road you took to get here?

Best wishes,
Xeta

Reply with quote Back to top
kb0haeOffline
Post subject: RE: The Road to aptosid  PostPosted: 05.07.2011, 18:04

Well, my first Linux experience was not a good one. It was way back (1997 0r so) and I bought a student version of Corel Linux. I got it installed, and managed to get a gui desktop to run. Even got a few programs installed. But I never was able to get my printer or dial-up connection to work. Later on I founf Knoppix. It was not recommended for hard drive installs, but the author recommended Kanotix. When sidux became available, I switched to it, and now Aptosid. Along the way I tried other distros.

These days I recommend Mepis to new users or those who need things to :just work". I like AAptosid, but its not for everyone. Linux is not for everyone, though most non-gamers will find everything they need in Linux.

xetaprimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 05.07.2011, 18:14

Mepis used to 'just work' for me- before Ubuntu. But now it seems no matter which video card I have- Nvidia or Ati I have problems from the start and because of that I don't go any further. Just bad luck? Maybe. But it wasn't that way years ago.

At one time I did enjoy Lycoris- shortly.

seasonsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 05.07.2011, 19:30

I played with Red Hat Linux and Mandrake, but went back to Win XP because my wireless driver (Realtek 8180) wasn't fully open source and didn't work.
Around the time of Ubuntu Edgy, I got into that distro and used that for a long time. I also used Arch Linux. I still use some Ubuntu installs, but use aptosid as my main OS because it's rolling release and I didn't like some of the decisions Canonical is/was making.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 05.07.2011, 20:46

I been a longtime Slackware user since discovering Linux back in 1994 when I bought a book with Slackware install CD's included. I got it to run on a 386 machine I built myself and liked what I saw so over time I acquired some experience by trial and error in maintaining Slackware. Around 2000 I happened across Debian and had a tough time installing it so I switched to Fedora when it first came out. Was a fedora/Slack user till 2005 when I discovered Kanotix thru forum posts. Liked how easily and quickly it installed and had a nice system. Continued Debian experience thru sidux and now Aptosid.

belzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 07.07.2011, 00:58

mandrake(2003) -> mandriva(2005) -> fedora(2005) -> kubuntu(2006) -> gentoo(-2006-07) -> sidux(08) -> aptosid (now)
these was for my daily use. I tried ubuntu 5.10 when it come out, slax, knoppix (ass saver), sabayon, opensuse (kde4.0 testing live cds), slackware and of course Debian (first was sarge when it was during testing) and Arch (and Chakra too). I really enjoyed Gentoo. The problem was that evry 1-2 weeks i had emerge world and i did not have time to. I tried sabayon, which i was told is better in that sense, no way: it's too chaotic. Arch is nice, better than everything but Debian. The problem is that Arch testing is much more unstable than debian unstable... but i really love pacman feel, i found it a little bit faster than apt, but less powerful. And build packages is easier with apt ;)

Sidux/aptosid is the better approach i found, and now it's about 3 years using it: love it. I would like to see a debian CUT project mixing with aptodis's philosophy... i wonder what would happen!

drbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 07.07.2011, 08:11

Started with a live cd knoppix for a few months . . . . but quickly moved to kanotix live cd with persistent settings as it was easier to install the driver for my USB modem . . . from there it's been Kanotix install (later converted to sidux), which only fell over last year on a dist upgrade as I hadn't done one for 6 months. Then sidux and aptosid installs.

Apart from looking at the odd livecd (mint debian) I'm oblivious to the rest of the linux world

spacepenguinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 08.07.2011, 14:06

Windows 3.11 (1993) -> DOS -> DOS & Slackware (a very short time - though I felt more at home in DOS than in its Windows-GUI I totally felt lost in GUI-less Slackware, that was 1994) -> DOS -> Windows95 (1997) -> Windows98 -> SuSE (6.4) & Windows XP -> SuSE (gave up after 9.1 because its incalculable behaviour too much reminded me of Windows) -> Kanotix (Bughunter 9, finally really felt at home - and the Debian package management was such a relief) -> sidux-aptosid (main) & Kubuntu (notebook).

The first unlucky Slackware trial was because in the office we had Unix workstations and I wanted to understand it better and in a PC magazine I found a CD with something called Linux which was said to be a lot like Unix. For my second Linux test with SuSE (and KDE1) another employer is to blame - and KDE1 in combination with the very powerful bash was love love love Wink.

What made me switch from Kanotix to sidux was not only the unclear future of Kanotix but also the very promising announcement of a true *rolling* release. And that's the main thing I love aptosid for.

xetaprimeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 08.07.2011, 14:48

I just missed Windows 3.1. Jumped into Windows 95 with 13 floppys to install :0 Those were the days. 13 FLOPPYS!!!

horoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 08.07.2011, 18:19

My long and winding road to aptosid:
Nascom 2 (1979) -> CP/M 2.2 (1982) -> CP/M 3.0 (1985) -> MSDOS 3.x...6.22 -> Win3.0/Win3.1/Win95 (1990..95) -> Slackware Linux 0.99.15 (1994) -> S.u.S.E /95..SuSE 7.3 (1995..2003) -> Knoppix (2003) -> Kanotix (XMAS 2003) -> sidux (Chaos 2007) -> aptosid (Keres 2010) -> QuestionQuestionQuestion

That's all folks
Ciao, Martin

CaesarTjalboOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 11.07.2011, 15:35

Playing around with computers whenever I could, which wasn't that often. I remember Kaypro 2, MSX and C64. First own machine was a 286 with MS-DOS 3.2 (and Windows 1 & 2 but never mind) in the late '80s.

Standard path up to and including Win XP but also mainframe at work (COBOL programming). Got interested in web programming, discovered the LAMP stack and thought it might be fun to see my website live on a Linux host. Realized it would be sane to have some experience before actually paying for a host.

Attempted a dual boot system, failed, and was left with only Linux CDs. Did a couple of installs with CentOS (4, i think) and learned a bit. No sound, tried out U- and Kubuntu but didn't like it, despite having sound. Fixed sound by editing and compiling the sound driver for CentOS, something I'm still proud of since I was still in my first week with Linux.

Fed up with the versions of software in CentOS I moved to Fedora. That was ok but I got sound problems after a new version came out. Moved to Pardus, liked it but found the size of the repo a bit limited.

I ordered new hardware and started to look around for distros. Tested a few, liked none. I made a list of requirements for 'my perfect distro'. Dove a bit deeper into distro-land, came up with a shortlist of possible candidates and started to research them. The most suitable appeared to be sidux and that became the first 'official' distro on my new system. It still is (as aptosid), despite one small but annoying issue with sound (what else).

The_SeekerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 09.08.2011, 15:29

Libranet > Kanotix > sidux > aptosid

diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 09.08.2011, 18:37

C64 > DOS 3/5 on PC/AT clone > Win95/98/XT > Ubuntu > Kubuntu > sidux > aptosid

Also installed and played with MEPIS, E-Live, and Arch long enough to get the hang of them, pluses and minuses.

bjkarmaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 10.08.2011, 01:13

Suse > Kanotix > Sidux > Aptosid

slamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 10.08.2011, 09:33
Team Member

I was used to Linux on the server since ever (Redhat/Debian/CentOS/Fedora), and 1999 started to use it on my desktop: Mandrake > Suse > everything available > Knoppix > Kanotix > sidux > Aptosid. I use Aptosid everywhere, from desktop to netbook, laptop, workstation and servers (except a hand full of Debian stable servers, which run applications not ready for sid/Aptosid).
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Jump to: