View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
oddballOffline
Post subject: Release notes and KDE 4.6 and XFCE 4.8 (aptosid 2011-03)  PostPosted: 01.01.2012, 11:30

Quote:
KDE 4.6 and XFCE 4.8

Upgrading to KDE 4.6 or XFCE 4.8 might not pull all required packages in certain corner cases, please make sure to install them manually. Without these packages, powermanagement, mounting of removable media and applying system wide configuration changes in systemsettings only work partially.

# apt-get install polkit-kde-1 udisks upower
I think I asked something like this on an earlier release. You write about booth kde and xfce in the headline but only provide a solution for kde or am I wrong?

Congratulations to the new release Smile

Reply with quote Back to top
DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: About release notes and KDE 4.6 and XFCE 4.8  PostPosted: 01.01.2012, 11:46
Team Member

Depends. udisks and upower are more or less generic. polkit-kde-1 is kind of kde specific, but as a general usersystem is a mixture of Qt/KDE apps with GTK it could be a good idea none-the-less. Either way, install it or not on XFCE (or any other non-kde) doesn't hurt. The worst think which could happen is that you waste a few MB (if not only KB) of diskspace…

towoOffline
Post subject: RE: About release notes and KDE 4.6 and XFCE 4.8  PostPosted: 01.01.2012, 12:02

Quote:
The worst think which could happen is that you waste a few MB (if not only KB) of diskspace…

You have never used a non-kde enveronment, i think.
Installing polkit-kde-1 in xfce results in an install of half kde system.

CarnophageOffline
Post subject: RE: About release notes and KDE 4.6 and XFCE 4.8  PostPosted: 01.01.2012, 12:09

Code:
apt-get install policykit-1-gnome

Might be enough for the Xfce users as far as PolicyKit is concerned.

towoOffline
Post subject: RE: About release notes and KDE 4.6 and XFCE 4.8  PostPosted: 01.01.2012, 12:35

In a xfce-spin policykit-1 is enougth, theoretical, if gnome applications are involved, policykit-1-gnome in could make sense to install it.

DonKultOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: About release notes and KDE 4.6 and XFCE 4.8  PostPosted: 01.01.2012, 12:48
Team Member

towo wrote:
      Quote:
The worst think which could happen is that you waste a few MB (if not only KB) of diskspace…

You have never used a non-kde enveronment, i think.
Installing polkit-kde-1 in xfce results in an install of half kde system.

I am not using any "desktop environment" anymore, but dropped down to just a tiling window manager to have a consistent interface ranging from my laptop to my phone. The base for my new laptop was the XFCE release, but xfce was purged from it as was kde from my old laptop. I am just using the (for me) best parts from both worlds. I think there are a few people out there who really decide which package to install based on the used toolkit, but i imagine this group to be small and able to decide that they don't need polkit-kde-1. I might be completely wrong in this regard through as this is just a guess.

[The result from this behavior for my local systems is that i have the base for basically every environment installed - so if i request the install of polkit-kde-1 (i don't have it installed) it installs only this single package.]

saxxonianOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: About release notes and KDE 4.6 and XFCE 4.8  PostPosted: 01.01.2012, 14:42

Thanks for keeping it up. I'm still in. Happy New Year.

daniel_roOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: About release notes and KDE 4.6 and XFCE 4.8  PostPosted: 01.01.2012, 16:50

Sanatate si virtute Saxxoniane Smile

Jump to: