View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
LanziOffline
Post subject: Which keyboardlayout for an Acer Travelmate laptop?  PostPosted: 01.12.2011, 22:06

I am dist-upgrading now to KDE 4.7 from KDE experimantal repo.
I am asked what keyboardlayot I use...

I really don't have an idea what to choose.
who can help?

Reply with quote Back to top
LanziOffline
Post subject: RE: Which keyboardlayout for an Acer Travelmate laptop?  PostPosted: 01.12.2011, 22:17

Second question, how can I restart the keyboard reconfiguration?

DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: Which keyboardlayout for an Acer Travelmate laptop?  PostPosted: 01.12.2011, 23:26
Team Member

dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

"Acer" can be choosen from the list. The others starting with Acer seem to be more specialized. I have this layout and all keys i tested so far work as expected, but i have an 'acer aspire', not a travelmate (but if this really makes a difference…)

LanziOffline
Post subject: RE: Which keyboardlayout for an Acer Travelmate laptop?  PostPosted: 02.12.2011, 13:03

I get a:

"keyboard-configuration is broken or not fully installed"

During DU I skiped the keyboard-configuration. How can a a information, which one he is using now? (this one seems to work very well)
And how can I fix the errormessage?

spockOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Which keyboardlayout for an Acer Travelmate laptop?  PostPosted: 02.12.2011, 14:19

Lanzi wrote:
I get a:

"keyboard-configuration is broken or not fully installed"

During DU I skiped the keyboard-configuration. How can a a information, which one he is using now? (this one seems to work very well)
And how can I fix the errormessage?

I think there is a dpkg or apt command (which I've forgotten) to fix-missing or fix-broken or something, but I just did DU again (preferably before typing apt-get update). IIUC this should fix the error by asking you again for the keyboard config - it did for me the other day. Exclamation [But bear in mind that DU might be dangerous at the moment due to other issues - see Upgrade Warnings forum.]

For some reason my keyboard-configuration has also been forgotten, and DU prompted me to choose from a list. Although this time the list of choices seems to be in a non-English language, and many entries (such as Happy Hacking Keyboard) have weird (Russian?) characters.

Comparing the output of dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration on my adjacent Debian Stable box, I can see that I normally use "Generic 105-key (Intl) PC" for my IBM Model M keyboards (I found nothing appropriate under IBM).

Selecting the option for "Generies 105-key (Intl) PC", the next question asks for the keyboard layout. I select the top option for plain and simple "United Kingdom", but on my aptosid box this is written as "Vereenidge Koninkryk" which looks like Dutch (mis-spelled according to Google Translate). I set all other options identical to my Debian Stable box, and the keyboard seems to work as normal. But I wonder what is going on with the language change and why the usual Debian chicken-pecker method (keep hitting Enter) lost its settings. Any ideas?

Code:
$ echo $LANG
en_GB.utf8

spockOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Which keyboardlayout for an Acer Travelmate laptop?  PostPosted: 02.12.2011, 14:23

Lanzi wrote:
How can a a information, which one he is using now? (this one seems to work very well)

Oops, I forgot to add this link to the other thread:

http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphp ... 3137#13137

michaaa62Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Which keyboardlayout for an Acer Travelmate lapt  PostPosted: 02.12.2011, 23:08

To configure the package now, you use
      Code:
dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
If none of the names and type really fit you might use generic keyboard and your local settings with variants.

trimi65Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Which keyboardlayout for an Acer Travelmate lapt  PostPosted: 05.01.2012, 11:54

Thank you for information my keyboaed now working good.

[edit by DonKult: remove completely unrelated link to something which looks like a search-engine-trap in Lithuania.]

Jump to: