View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
RausHOffline
Post subject: SOLVED: can not write on WD Elements 1TB  PostPosted: 29.09.2010, 17:12

dear all,

i can not write on my WD Elements 1TB (vfat) external HD. But i am sure in the past it has been possible.
i tried in KDE using the mounting capabilites of dolphin or using the "Geräteüberwachung" (sorry i don't know the english term). additionally i tried "mount -rw /dev/disk/by-label/Elements /mnt/usb" which also resulted in read only access to the HD.

alternatively i downloaded the latest aptosid install CD (2010-02, KDE light i386) and booted a different computer into this environment. also in this case the situation was the same. only read only access.
my primary system is an old sony vaio and up to date (d-u today). the other system is a dell latitude D520, not very new too.
in my despair i tested it on a win xp system where i got read and write access to the disk.
thanks in advance
kind regards
RausH

Last edited by RausH on 01.10.2010, 11:38; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
diblOffline
Post subject: RE: can not write on WD Elements 1TB  PostPosted: 29.09.2010, 19:41

Google turns up many hits like this: http://www.fixya.com/support/t4650883-w ... ected_help

and this: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other- ... s-1tb.html

I don't see a common solution, unfortunately. If you have a WD diagnostics disk, or something like Parted Magic to run SMART diagnostics on it, (or use smartmontools in the terminal) that would be the first thing to check. If there's no indication of physical media damage or other faults, I think I would copy off all data, and try re-partitioning, and use a Linux filesystem (ext4) if possible, or else NTFS if it has to be shared with Windows. VFAT is not very reliable, and not designed for such a large filesystem.

muchan
Post subject: RE: can not write on WD Elements 1TB  PostPosted: 29.09.2010, 19:55

I wonder if this is the same problem as in this thread:

aptosid 2010-02 don`t mount cds and dvds
http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphp ... c&t=75

RausHOffline
Post subject: RE: can not write on WD Elements 1TB  PostPosted: 29.09.2010, 21:38

thank you for your suggestions. however they did not solve my problem.
dibl:i tried and tested the HD with the WD tools, SMART seems to be ok. but still no write support in aptosid/KDE. since i have no spare space of 500GB i can not reformat the disk right now. i will do more google search.
@muchan: i don't see connections to my problem (however i checked my fstab). moreover i even can not mount it directly and get read and write support (mount -rw ..., results in read only).

additionally i'd like to say that a 500GB noname external HD functions as intended, thumb drives as well. and i do not have any problem with reading and writing CDs.

diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 29.09.2010, 22:38

I have several hard drives that I use for backup, and connect via a USB interface kit, to my aptosid system. This includes several WD hard drives (WD 740, WD 3000), and Samsung Spinrite. So I have no reason to suspect any problem with the aptosid kernel -- I think you have to look at the drive and the filesystem, or partition table, as the likely problem.

ikeinthaiOffline
Post subject: WD upto 1.5T w/ext4.  PostPosted: 30.09.2010, 05:59

dibl wrote:
I have several hard drives that I use for backup, and connect via a USB interface kit, to my aptosid system. This includes several WD hard drives So I have no reason to suspect any problem with the aptosid kernel -- I think you have to look at the drive and the filesystem, or partition table, as the likely problem.

+1

vfat on a 1T drive sounds like trouble.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: Re: WD upto 1.5T w/ext4.  PostPosted: 30.09.2010, 21:58

ikeinthai wrote:
      dibl wrote:
I have several hard drives that I use for backup, and connect via a USB interface kit, to my aptosid system. This includes several WD hard drives So I have no reason to suspect any problem with the aptosid kernel -- I think you have to look at the drive and the filesystem, or partition table, as the likely problem.

+1

vfat on a 1T drive sounds like trouble.

Think the max size for vfat is about 512GB...correct me if I am wrong. If there are any files on it copy them off then reformat it

RausHOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 01.10.2010, 11:37

solved: your suggestions lead me to check the file system. after i corrected those fs errors my hd is writeable in aptosid again.

according to wikipedia the max volumesize in vfat is 2TB.

thank you for your help!

kind regards RausH

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 01.10.2010, 14:42

Nice you got it working again, RausH, but I'd recommend not using that drive to store a lot of data due to the risks of FAT32 on such a big drive. You could partition it, but that may cause issues with sharing data with Windows systems as Windows hates USB drives with multiple partitions

If you just want to use it with Linux only, then why not reformat it to ext2/3?

I see...with LBA max volsize for FAT32 is 2TB while without using LBA it is 127GB

Jump to: