View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
kenyeeOffline
15 Post subject: can't traceroute to www.dpreview.com because of bad firehol  PostPosted: 19.02.2012, 03:02

Upgraded from a 3.1 kernel recently and noticed this odd behavior.

The system doesn't seem to know how to route to that site (23.21.209.12) 56 running on amazonaws.com) any more.
When I ping it, I get this cryptic "Operation not permitted" message:
$ ping www.dpreview.com
PING digiphoto-prod-84399190.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com (23.21.209.12) 56(84) bytes of data.
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
$ traceroute www.dpreview.com
traceroute to www.dpreview.com (23.21.210.71), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
send: Operation not permitted

The weird part of this is that I can:
- ping other sites like www.news.com from this system
- from a VM running on the *same* machine, I can traceroute to www.dpreview.com
- dropping the iptables firewall makes no difference nor does reboot
- a wifi router on the network has no problems accessing dpreview.com (it uses the same DSL router)

I googled all over the place and bumped up my nf_conntrack_max value hoping that was it, but it made no difference.

Anyone have any other ideas? Sad

EDIT: the problem was an old /etc/firehol/RESERVED_IPS that contained 23.0.0.0 (dpreview and amazonws is on this subnet) and also 31.0.0.0 (facebook's content delivery network is on this).
I swear I shut down the firewall to test it but doing an iptables -L made this problem obvious Razz
This was in the iptables rules dump:
/sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_internet -s 23.0.0.0/8 -j RETURN
which was generated from the RESERVED_IPS file which tries to parse http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space and fails now because firehol is no longer maintained by the firehol developer Sad

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: