View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
tonyr42Offline
15 Post subject: [SOLVED] Installation grows with each update  PostPosted: 14.03.2012, 15:34

I update once or twice a week. With each update, the system grows, as indicated by the message generated by dist-upgrade right before continuation confirmation. Is that just the way it is, aptosid growing forever, without regularly managing partition space to accomodate the growth or starting over (re-installing), or is there a relatively straightforward way to weed out the deadwood (obsolete or superceded packages, etc)? I typically use apt-get commands 'clean' and 'autoremove', but I don't think either of these address this issue.

Last edited by tonyr42 on 15.03.2012, 04:27; edited 4 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
detaosOffline
Post subject: RE: Installation grows with each update  PostPosted: 14.03.2012, 16:01
Team Member

kernel-remover is your friend.

bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: Installation grows with each update  PostPosted: 14.03.2012, 16:50
Team Member

You should be careful with autoremove. Using kernel-remover will help recover a lot of the extra space but it is the nature of software systems like this that they will grow over time as the packages get bigger, so no matter how good you are at removing any deadwood your system will still grow.

Religiously using "apt-get clean" and kernel-remover to get rid of everything you can will sooner or later leave you unhappy when you realise too late that something is broken and you have no way to "go back". I always make sure to keep a few kernels installed, but at a minimum always make sure you keep the last kernel you were happy with in case you discover something later that is "broken" with the latest kernel.

broweOffline
Post subject: RE: Installation grows with each update  PostPosted: 14.03.2012, 20:13

My personal desktop machine was setup with 15G root partition about 3yrs ago and I have installed and removed a lot of software that I was testing. The root partition is only about 50% used... it started out at about 40%. Consider how much other OS have bloated in that time and I'm sure you'll agree linux is doing well to keep the code efficient. One thing I do when I install a package is to write down what new dependencies are pulled in so that I can remove them when I'm done testing the package. apt-get autoclean may also help you. Check disk usage before and after with df -h. Like bfree said, only use clean and autoclean after testing a dist-upgrade and you are happy with all the packages.

diblOffline
Post subject: Re: Installation grows with each update  PostPosted: 14.03.2012, 20:16

tonyr42 wrote:
Is that just the way it is, aptosid growing forever, without regularly managing partition space to accomodate the growth or starting over (re-installing), or is there a relatively straightforward way to weed out the deadwood (obsolete or superceded packages, etc)?

It really does not grow a lot, relative to the size of the original installation. For example, here is an Asus EeePC 4G/701, on which I installed sidux 2009-02 (Xfce):

Code:
don@eee-sidux:~$ df -h
Filesystem             Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs                 3.5G  3.0G  430M  88% /

With a 4GB SSD (mis-identified by infobash below), and part of that used for swap, there is not much room for growth. This system is fully updated, the only difference is that slh made a special kernel for the EeePC and pinned it, so I don't have to deal with new kernels.

I do use autoremove, but you have to "look and think" before you accept any recommended removals.

Code:
Host/Kernel/OS  "eee-sidux" running Linux 2.6.32-1.slh.4-sidux-686 i686 [ sidux 2009-01 Ουρανός - xfce - (200902151314) ]
CPU Info        Intel Celeron M 512 KB cache flags( sse2 nx ) clocked at [ 630.125 MHz ]
Videocard       Intel Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller  X.Org 1.11.4  [ 800x480@60.0hz ]
Network cards   Atheros L2 Fast
                Atheros AR242x / AR542x Wireless
Processes 98 | Uptime 16min | Memory 127.0/2017.7MB | HDD SILICONMOTION SM Size 20GB (0%used) | Client Shell | Infobash v3.45

tonyr42Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: Installation grows with each update  PostPosted: 15.03.2012, 04:14

Thanks, all. It looks like kernel-remover is the piece I was missing.

A little reflection took me to /usr/src and /lib/modules, wherein the offenders lay, stuff going back maybe 60-70 kernels worth, which I removed most of manually before seeing these replies. I'm guessing-kernel remover takes care of those. I'll find out in a few minutes after the current update (which has a new kernel).

I always keep at least two kernels with grub entries for each, and always check the 'autoremove' results before accepting, and haven't been bitten yet by 'clean' getting rid of all the packages. Now that the space problem is manageable, I have a little more leeway to keep the packages around.

Jump to: