View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
hyOffline
Post subject: (strange) message when logging in as root  PostPosted: 20.03.2012, 21:50

Hi,
I am getting the following message when I log in as root in a shell started from x:

Code:

bash: cannot set terminal process group (-1): Inappropriate ioctl for device
bash: no job control in this shell

When i switch to a shell via <CTRL-ALT><F1> I get the usual message that I logged in last time at: DAY MONTH YEAR AT...
which shows me that the logins from every console are recorded seperately. For whatever reason...

Admittedly I do not understand, what exactly is the 'terminal process group' and what an 'inappropriate ioctl for a device' is.
Whereas I understand that it is reasonable, that $FF (=-1) is considered an invalid value for almost anything.

And: do I have to worry bout the job control?

Any Links appreciated that will lead to some learning.

Reply with quote Back to top
bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: (strange) message when logging in as root  PostPosted: 21.03.2012, 13:48
Team Member

It is related to a fix for a security bug which was found in su which could allow funny things to be done by malicious people based on passing data to/from the root and normal user contexts. The bottom line for now is to ignore the message and not worry about it unless you discover something which isn't working now (in which case then it's worth posting about that specific problem).

hyOffline
Post subject: RE: (strange) message when logging in as root  PostPosted: 21.03.2012, 15:38

Thanks.

Jump to: