View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
titanOffline
Post subject: QEMU  PostPosted: 18.10.2010, 18:46

I have been trying QEMU, I have tried both qtemu and aqemu to install an atosid iso and an old sidux iso both from the hd and as a cd and the installation fails for either at the x startup, until there it's fine. I expect a cheat code may help but which one. Both the iso's run fine on the same PC it is just trying to install them in QEMU that has the problem.

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: QEMU  PostPosted: 18.10.2010, 19:15

qemu, in contrast to qemu-kvm (if your hardware supports it), is exceptionally slow, so slow that kdm might give up trying to start X within default probe timeout. There are two options, you could force aptosid to create a (minimal) xorg.conf by using the cheatcode "xmodule=vesa" (I recommend vesa over cirrus) on the live CD before installing, thereby avoiding the X probing or to increase the timeout in /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc.

I can't reproduce any problems on qemu-kvm though.

titanOffline
Post subject: RE: QEMU  PostPosted: 18.10.2010, 19:44

Unfortunately my Athlon is a bit old with no KVM support, I was trying to avoid Virtualbox although I suspect that will be just as slow. Sounds like a good excuse for a new mobo and processor.

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: QEMU  PostPosted: 18.10.2010, 19:45

While virtualbox still has performance (and other) issues with linux guests >= 2.6.27 and experimental kernels, it's still a lot faster than plain qemu; if your hardware supports it, hardly anything beats kvm though.

titanOffline
Post subject: RE: QEMU  PostPosted: 19.10.2010, 07:20

Are the Intel and AMD cpu's similar in kvm performance or is one better than the other.

towoOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: QEMU  PostPosted: 19.10.2010, 07:43

titan wrote:
Are the Intel and AMD cpu's similar in kvm performance or is one better than the other.

On my 4x AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core here @work the performance is way slower than on my Intel Core2 Quad Q6700 @home.

Jump to: