View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MerryMurrayOffline
Post subject: Cherokee Webserver no longer in repositories.  PostPosted: 17.05.2012, 17:58

The cherokee webserver is no longer in the repositories.
Any idea why it has been removed and if it will return?

Thanks

Murray

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Cherokee Webserver no longer in repositories.  PostPosted: 17.05.2012, 18:01

#670298, probably never.

DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: Cherokee Webserver no longer in repositories.  PostPosted: 17.05.2012, 20:45
Team Member

There are way too many webservers in debian to have a decent chance to bring a new one in (as new additions need a good reason to be added - especially webservers carry a certain risk to need (a lot of) security updates). And one with a negative record in the past is even less likely.

Just choose another one like the regular apache2, lighttpd or nginx. Or something way smaller like weborf or gatling. But there are way more, just search for them.

MerryMurrayOffline
Post subject: Cherokee gone walkabout  PostPosted: 18.05.2012, 05:46

Thanks for the reply.

1) Cherokee is not new. It has been in the repositories and recently removed. I have been using it on my test system and now that I'm ready to use it on my production machine it is
missing.
2) I have already evaluated other servers including Apache and Nginx and chose Cherokee for ease of installation, configuration and administration. I'm now left high and dry,
with no updates and no possibility of use on my production machine. I don't want to 'JUST' choose another webserver at this late date.
3) It appears that Cherokee has been arbitrarily removed from the repositories and hence my original question. Why has it been removed (and who did it)? I can see now it wont come back
and I will be forced to start over.

Murray

broweOffline
Post subject: RE: Cherokee gone walkabout  PostPosted: 18.05.2012, 14:57

From the post on debian.org it appears that Gunnar Wolf was the sole maintainer and has lost interest. Unless someone else picks up the pieces and continues the project is dead. You can of course download the source code and maintain it yourself if you are that passionate about the package... but that seems like a lot of work and Gunnar sounds like he was never too happy about the quality of the product to begin with.

Quote:

RC-buggy for too long, maintainer no longer involved, RFA produced no (real)
results

MerryMurrayOffline
Post subject: Cherokee gone walkabout  PostPosted: 19.05.2012, 03:43

Thanks again for the reply.

Nice to know where I stand. Exactly the info I needed.
Appreciate your efforts.

Best wishes

Murray

Jump to: