View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
tqkOffline
Post subject: Any dinosaurs out there still using lpr*?  PostPosted: 09.11.2010, 19:32

This was working a week ago:

Code:
lp|To Your Right: \
   :lp=/dev/lp0: \
   :force_localhost: \
   :if=/usr/bin/foomatic-rip: \
   :ppd=/usr/local/etc/HP-LaserJet_6L-ljet4.ppd: \
   :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp: \
   :mx#0:sh:

Code:
(0) phreaque /home/keeling_ lpstat
Printer: lp@localhost 'To Your Right'
 Queue: no printable jobs in queue
 Server: no server active
 Rank   Owner/ID               Pr/Class Job Files                 Size Time
done   keeling@localhost+490        A   490 (STDIN)             168629 12:24:10

I just noticed that one of the upper spool dirs was chmod 300 (d-wx------) and fixed that, but still, nothing prints. It does blink the printer's lights three times.

Printer still manually prints test page fine. checkpc runs cleanly. I've tried enscript, lpr, OOo, iceweasel. /var/log stuff all looks good:

Code:
Nov  9 11:42:58 phreaque kernel: [    7.909198] lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).
Nov  9 11:42:58 phreaque kernel: [    7.909205] lp0: console ready

This is lprng, and dpkg-reconfigure hasn't helped, nor /etc/init.d/lprng restart.

Ideas? Thanks.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
broweOffline
Post subject: RE: Any dinosaurs out there still using lpr*?  PostPosted: 10.11.2010, 17:11

I'd suggest using cups to do the configuration and double check the driver.
I have an hp1020 and had to use hannah to get it to work thru cups, but I think your printer has better support.
See the hp website since I think the driver listed there will work for you: http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html
If not, try the following:

Code:

apt-get install foo2zjs hannah-foo2zjs

hannah will be a menu item under settings, run it from there or from cli: hannah-foo2zjs

After the driver is installed you may have to restart your printer for it to be seen. I've also had the occasional dist-upgrades break some links and cause me to reinstall the printer driver. Let me know if this works for you.

tqkOffline
Post subject: RE: Any dinosaurs out there still using lpr*?  PostPosted: 10.11.2010, 20:46

Thanks for the suggestion. However, you ought to realise that, "How do I fix lpr*?" really translates to, "I'd rather die than use CUPS! Help?!?"

Sorry. Smile

Really, this was working a week ago, and has been working for years over many re-installs. The .ppd file worked fine with foomatic-rip. Somehow, lprng install config is a bit confused.

tqkOffline
Post subject: RE: Any dinosaurs out there still using lpr*?  PostPosted: 10.11.2010, 23:58

Solved! "apt-get install ifhp" fixed everything. A day of poring over manpages and "aptitude search hp | grep -v php" tracked it down. "ifhp - Almost Universal LPRng Print Filter".

I'm not yet sure what it's done except cp my /etc/printcap into /etc/lprng/printcap.

Educational, whee! Smile

broweOffline
Post subject: RE: Any dinosaurs out there still using lpr*?  PostPosted: 11.11.2010, 02:38

Glad to hear you found a soloution. Out of curiosity, why the hate for CUPS, and what benefit is there to just using lpr? If you have the time could you post how you setup your printer.

blackforestcoldbloodOffline
Post subject: RE: Any dinosaurs out there still using lpr*?  PostPosted: 11.11.2010, 03:08

now THAT^ was a blast from the past that is very useful! One question, does it produce "graphics" or is it for "text"?

bfcb

tqkOffline
Post subject: RE: Any dinosaurs out there still using lpr*?  PostPosted: 11.11.2010, 05:11

Quote:
does it produce "graphics" or is it for "text"?

It's not a dot-matrix. It does 600 dpi, black and white and grayscale, 6 ppm. It may not do photos all that well, but that's not what I need.

Problem now is, I did "enscript -2r .profile", and it hung spitting out the page. I got the page out fine, but now all the printer does is show a yellow light. What's that mean? Error. How to clear it? Still looking for that answer. Nothin' yet.

Rassafrackin, jiggafiggerin, ... If it ain't one thing, ...

Jump to: