View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
GblubbROffline
15 Post subject: [solved] Problems with kernel 3.6  PostPosted: 24.10.2012, 09:32

Servus!

With my last 2 dist-upgrades I had problems with the 3.6 kernels.
The first was 3.6-2.slh.3 (I think, could have been 4, kernel is already removed)
The other was 3.6-3.slh.1-aptosid-686.
Same problem with both 3.6 kernels, 3.5 kernel works.
The system boots up to a moment before the KDE-Login-Screen appears. Then I get the kernel-bug (see Screenshot) and Power-Off is the only thing that helps.

Is this a known problem?
Sorry for the bad quality of my camera, but I don't know how to make a screenshot on a system that doesn't work...

blubb

IMG_20121022_200750_small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  137.54 KB
 Viewed:  3754 Time(s)

IMG_20121022_200750_small.jpg

Last edited by GblubbR on 26.10.2012, 15:56; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
slhAdministrator
Post subject: RE: Problems with kernel 3.6  PostPosted: 24.10.2012, 14:55

Please update to linux-image-3.6-3.slh.2-aptosid-686, and "touch /forcefsck" (this makes the system check all filesystem on boot once) - reboot afterwards and let the system check if your filesystems are o.k. If you have cifs/ smbfs entries in fstab, please comment them out for testing and try to mount them by hand after completing the boot.

If none of these steps allows further conclusions, it might help to check the package integrity of all installed packages by running "debsums -as" (apt-get install debsums, if not already installed), this displays which packages have been modified (or corrupted) from their original state, take the results with a grain of salt as this also flags conffiles that have been customized - if you're unsure please post the results.

The last changes directly affecting cifs code happened in 3.6-1.slh.3, so it would be nice to confirm if that one (or any later kernel) was still working, before trying to bisect this any further.

manulOffline
Post subject: RE: Problems with kernel 3.6  PostPosted: 24.10.2012, 20:14

slh,
Please advise is this potentially ext4 corrupting bug going to be applied to next aptosid kernels? https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/23/690

DonKultOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Problems with kernel 3.6  PostPosted: 24.10.2012, 20:27
Team Member

manul wrote:
slh,
Please advise is this potentially ext4 corrupting bug going to be applied to next aptosid kernels? https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/23/690

If you happen to have a current system you will already have the patch:
      Code:
linux-aptosid (3.6-12) unstable; urgency=emergency

* set ABI to 3.slh.2
  * jbd2: fix a potential fs corrupting bug in jbd2_mark_journal_empty
  * update ar5523.

-- Stefan Lippers-Hollmann <s.l-h@gmx.de>  Wed, 24 Oct 2012 02:07:55 +0200

Note though that as far as I have read you need to have explicitly set your (first) superblock to be at 0 to be effected by this, so it isn't as serious as it might sound (and a "normal" user isn't going to to do enough 'frequent' mounts/umounts to trigger this I guess).

manulOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Problems with kernel 3.6  PostPosted: 24.10.2012, 21:14

DonKult - thanks.
I dist-upgraded to latest 3.6-3.slh.2 kernel, and deleted the older kernels (to be on the safe side).

GblubbROffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.10.2012, 07:15

Thanks slh for your hints!
Unfortunately email-notification didn't work for me yesterday so I saw your reply just now.
I'll try your suggestions this evening and keep you informed.

blubb

finottiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.10.2012, 13:46

[Off topic]

GblubbR wrote:
Thanks slh for your hints!
Unfortunately email-notification didn't work for me yesterday so I saw your reply just now.
I'll try your suggestions this evening and keep you informed.

blubb

Indeed, e-mail notifications seem to not be reliable anymore...

[/Off topic]

Best to all,

Luis

GblubbROffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Problems with kernel 3.6  PostPosted: 26.10.2012, 15:49

slh wrote:
Please update to linux-image-3.6-3.slh.2-aptosid-686, and "touch /forcefsck" (this makes the system check all filesystem on boot once) - reboot afterwards and let the system check if your filesystems are o.k. If you have cifs/ smbfs entries in fstab, please comment them out for testing and try to mount them by hand after completing the boot.

This did it!
Installing the latest kernel via d-u ended in the same error as with older 3.6 kernels.
Then I removed the cifs-entries from fstab and did the forcefsck and afterwards the 3.6-3-kernel booted.

reenabled the cifs-entries in fstab also worked, I'm now running 3.6-3.slh.2-aptosid-686.

Thanks a lot!
blubb

Jump to: