View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Luis_POffline
Post subject: Squeeze package  PostPosted: 07.11.2012, 12:15

As a consequence of reinstalling all the system, I get troubles finding some packages. Among them there is albumshaper, which organized all my digital photos.

If I search albumshaper through apt-cache policy, there is no result. Visiting Debian's package page, I realize that it exists in sid, but only for unsual architectures (alpha, m68k...). There is also a package for amd64 (my arch), but only for squeeze.

Question: is there any danger installing a squeeze package on a sid installation?

Regards.

Luis_P.

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Squeeze package  PostPosted: 07.11.2012, 12:51

Chances are that it's not going to work, because of its reverse dependencies - which might (or might not) conflict with the current versions of said libraries in sid. Depending on what is involved, this has a rather high potential for breakage (especially considering squeeze's age), 'ideally' only for the package in question, but it might also affect the system integrity as a whole.

In general you should investigate why albumshaper has been removed from Debian (#629041) and actually looking at that you really don't want to bring it back - unmaintained upstream, depending on an equally unmaintained and security relevant framework (qt3) with a rather high potential of conflicts with contemporary Debian.

//edit by DonKult: fix bug URL. I feel like God - just that I can also now modifying slh postings Wink

muchan
Post subject: RE: Squeeze package  PostPosted: 08.11.2012, 11:25

I would use virtualbox to prepare virtual PC, install debian stable, (or old aptosid of the time lagacy program worked properly) and install/prepare specific application to run for special purpose.

Only when you would need to use that application, you start the virtual pc, maybe start snapshot with that program already
running, and after using it, close the virtual PC.
Thus you can use your favorit applications, which are already removed from the recent debian repository.
You don't need to dist-upgrade that virtual system, because its sole purpose is to run that application.

Using samba or sshfs (http://manual.aptosid.com/en/ssh-en.htm#ssh-fs) you can save the data on host PC,
so that the storage of virtual PC won't grow (or you don't need to recreate snapshot.)

You can use this solution to your Web browser problem with authentication, too.

(for example, I hate to have many video/animation/flash automatically starts on my browser, so I have
basic system without flash plug-in installed. I have old aptosid with plug-in in virutalbox, snapshot with
the browser running. So when I want to view a page with video stream, I simply open that vm, some seconds
later, just type in (or paste) the URL)

DonKultOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Squeeze package  PostPosted: 08.11.2012, 19:14
Team Member

There are a lot of slideshow-applications around, I would just switch to one of those (although all I "know" don't have 3D capability - but that is actually a feature for them as I only know the low-resource thingys like feh and sxiv). It is quiet common and "normal" to be change-resistant, but this can only work for a short while in debian unstable where nothing is as stable as constant change. Just make sure to be not change-intolerant or you will become someone holding tight to stuff even the original authors don't want to use anymore like KDE3, GNOME2 or Unity2D. Wink

muchan wrote:
(for example, I hate to have many video/animation/flash automatically starts on my browser, so I have
basic system without flash plug-in installed. I have old aptosid with plug-in in virutalbox, snapshot with
the browser running. So when I want to view a page with video stream, I simply open that vm, some seconds
later, just type in (or paste) the URL)

If you use the right browser (iceweasel):
Try xul-ext-flashblock or in (very?) new versions the about:config option "plugins.click_to_play". The extension just enables a click-to-play for flash, but comes with a whitelist, the later is a browser-builtin working on all sorts of plugins (flash, java, …) but no whitelist yet … For me the only way (bundled with xul-ext-adblock-plus) to make the internet a sane place to look at.
(not just ads, I use adblock also to hide website elements I never use heavily)
Other browsers might have similar options.

Not saying that the VM thing is wrong, just a suggestion for folks who don't want to fiddle with a VM.

Luis_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 09.11.2012, 17:35

Thanks for your interest, slh, Muchan and DonKult. It's a pity that albumshaper isn't continued because it did well its job. People like me who has classified their photos (some thousands with explanations and remarks) get all this work lost now.

On the other hand, I had thought to use a virtual machine for the (big) problem with authentication, but I am afraid it is not practical: I should change very often between VM and normal system. It is much better to start with an old kernel (3.1-6.slh.1) which runs smoothly. I do not know if I can do so much, because there will be a gap between the kernel and the packages more and more wide.

Luis_P.

Jump to: