View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jacmoeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 07.05.2011, 01:33

I think the main reason why you should use apt-get and not synaptic is because the latter doesn't really handle Debian Sid well.
That sounds like reason enough to just use the command-line - and (to be on the safe side) - do an init 3 when dist-upgrading.

I have to admit that I usually just run apt-get from within X for most non-dist-
upgrade installs - but that's just me. Old habits.. Wink

Reply with quote Back to top
aylaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 07.05.2011, 05:07

jacmoe wrote:

I have to admit that I usually just run apt-get from within X for most non-dist-
upgrade installs - but that's just me. Old habits.. Wink

So do I often too when I'm installing a single application. But I have a close look then what apt is doing in addition to resolve dependencies. If I'm not sure after, I'm going into runlevel 3. And if there are a lot of dependencies to be solved I'm going for save in any case.

greets
ayla

Edit: The point of another question asked is: You are updating a running system, therefore the mentioned scenario can happen. Some package manager don't do this, they are insteed waiting for next reboot to bring in the new versions into the system. This seems a quite save way to me and I can only see one disadvantage here: You have to reboot your system in this case to upgrade/update it. Wich leads me to a habbit of another well known OS. You have to reboot for ev'ry single sh.. to go save. Not a "must have" for me.

dptOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 07.05.2011, 12:14

There is an expressway where only about 50 vehicles run every night.
One may cross the road blidfolded at night 100 times in a night without getting hit.
One might be hit on his first trip.

So if you want to ensure that you do not get hit, cross the road with open eyes.

I use synaptic only to see the packages, not install.

Have a nice day.

dpt

Jump to: