View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
matteoOffline
Post subject: Problem in configuring Xampp - public_html in home  PostPosted: 01.10.2010, 15:52

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and to Aptosid and I hope I'll found this community as cosy as Ubuntu's one! Well, in fact I was for a long time an Ubuntu user, but for some reasons I decided to move to Aptosid and my computer now rocks with it!

Everything works fine, but there is only one trouble: I am a web developer and when I was on Ubuntu I used to install Xampp and with the help of a guide I managed to link a directory in my home (usually ~/public_html ) to the one of the server ( /opt/lampp/htdocs ) so that I can edit my websites files without any root permission. But when I try to do the same thing with aptosid I get a "permission denied" error, so now I have to do <alt>+<F2>, type "kdesu dolphin" and browse to the directory /opt/lampp/htdocs/public_html , but I can't edit files in dolphin started as root (if I try to edit a file it gets an error about KDEInit that wasn't able to start /usr/bin/write ) so I also start kwrite with "kdesu kwrite". Pretty difficult.

So I'll be glad if someone can help me in any way, by suggesting something to do or a better alternative to do it!

P.S. I also want to apologise for my English, I'm a seventeen Italian guy, so I'm still learning this language, hoping I can improve it in this forum!

Reply with quote Back to top
muchan
Post subject: RE: Problem in configuring Xampp - public_html in home  PostPosted: 01.10.2010, 19:18

Your English is fine, at least to me. (but I'm not a native speaker of Eglish)

I don't know well about Xampp nor lampp, but I'd suggest changing owner of the directory and the content of /opt.lampp/htdocs with chown command.
If you are the owner of the directory and files, I think there should not be any permission problem.

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Problem in configuring Xampp - public_html in home  PostPosted: 01.10.2010, 19:25

XAMPP is absolutely not necessary on any reasonable Linux distribution - just install apache2, php5 and mysql-server through apt-get (iirc, there's even a chapter in our own manual).

Given that XAMPP is a crude hack on linux, stomps over installed packages and is not integrated into security support, I move this to the dragon's den.

devilOffline
Post subject: RE: Problem in configuring Xampp - public_html in home  PostPosted: 01.10.2010, 19:35

Quote:

with the help of a guide I managed to link a directory in my home

what guide?

greetz
devil

matteoOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Problem in configuring Xampp - public_html in home  PostPosted: 02.10.2010, 12:50

In primis, thank you for your helpful advices and the fast answers!

slh wrote:
XAMPP is absolutely not necessary on any reasonable Linux distribution - just install apache2, php5 and mysql-server through apt-get (iirc, there's even a chapter in our own manual).

Given that XAMPP is a crude hack on linux, stomps over installed packages and is not integrated into security support, I move this to the dragon's den.

Thank you for the advice! I didn't know a lot about XAMPP - just that was easy to setup and worked fine under Ubuntu. But, of course, I made this change to Aptosid to know more about GNU/Linux and to learn how to use it better. That's probably a way to start.
I didn't know there was a chapter in the manual about configuring a web server, it is really useful and simple - and it's also in Italian! I also want to apologize for posting in the wrong section!

@muchan: Thank you! About XAMPP, I'll follow slh's advice - in fact, I don't need a XAMPP web server, I just need a web server!
@devil: I followed the one I used on Ubuntu and in fact you can find the guide on ubuntuforums!

matteoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 02.10.2010, 14:38

I tried installing apache, but I get the same error - I followed the guide in the manual, but if I connect to "http://localhost/www" it says
"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /www/ on this server."
and in /var/log/apache2/error.log :
"[Sat Oct 02 16:37:14 2010] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible: /var/www/www"
What can I do? (I tried almost everything!)

DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Problem in configuring Xampp - public_html in ho  PostPosted: 02.10.2010, 14:41
Team Member

If you really only need a webserver you can also use one of the smaller ones like weborf instead of a full-blown apache2 instance. Some can even work with CGI and with it PHP and stuff…

Jump to: