View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
rossiOffline
15 Post subject: No Window Manager (KDE) on dist-upgrade [solved)  PostPosted: 22.08.2013, 02:35

Hello:

Help! What did I do wrong? I performed a

Code:
apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade

on my x86 box and KDE disappeared. I have no window manager. In addition, apps like okular, kedit, were removed.

Please tell me what I did incorrectly. This was a vanilla upgrade ... no tweaks with other software.

Kind regards,

Angelo

Reply with quote Back to top
bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: No Window Manager (KDE) on dist-upgrade  PostPosted: 22.08.2013, 08:59
Team Member

It sounds like you didn't notice that it was going to remove lots of things and let it run anyway. Probably you can simply "apt-get update" and then "apt-get install" them again.

You can see what was removed in the last dist-upgrade by looking at your /var/log/apt/history.log and use that to try and figure out what to re-install. Just take the things you know you want and ignore those you don't know about and the libs, a chunk of those will get pulled back in anyway as dependencies of the things you do want.

If you aren't sure about things I'd suggest to paste the dist-upgrade section from the history.log

rossiOffline
Post subject: RE: No Window Manager (KDE) on dist-upgrade  PostPosted: 22.08.2013, 09:54

Hello:

You are absolutely correct.

I had been away from the machine for 2 months and needed to perform and upgrade. But among the upgrade packages was texlive which is very big. This package together with all the other stuff made me walk away while the upgrade was going on.

I tried your suggestion <code>apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade</code>, and nothing was restored.

I looked at the /var/history.log.12.gz file and there are a couple of <code>Remove</code> commands for the last aptosid version. I was looking for the <code>Remove</code> commands for all the packages that were removed. There were none. The file is extremely large and unwieldly.

I understand you are busy, but can you provide more hints on how to restore these removed packages? For example, if there are no remove commands in the .log file, then I don't know what is removed.

Thanks so much for your help with this.

Kind regards,

Angelo

bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: No Window Manager (KDE) on dist-upgrade  PostPosted: 22.08.2013, 13:04
Team Member

Look at /var/log/apt/history.log or /var/log/apt/history.log.1.gz probably ... history.log.12.gz is probably the oldest one you have. The files have dates in them so you will know you are looking at the right thing.

I never suggested "apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade", this will obviously (as you found) do nothing. What I suggested was to find what had been removed by looking at the history.log and then using "apt-get install whatever-you-found" (after and "apt-get update" as always to make sure your package lists are up to date).

If in doubt, paste here the full output of the section from the history.log for the actual dist-upgrade which broke it, the date should give it away as the correct one.

Finally walking away while it ran the dist-upgrade is not likely to have been the problem. The problem (probably) was not checking what it was going to do before you told it to go ahead and perform the dist-upgrade. It would have told you it was going to remove things which should have warned you not to continue.

You can of course just "apt-get install kdm okular kedit" but there is likely a bunch more you want, so finding out what happened from the correct history.log is going to help you put things back into good shape more easily.

rossiOffline
Post subject: RE: No Window Manager (KDE) on dist-upgrade  PostPosted: 23.08.2013, 11:34

Hello Bfree:

Thanks so much for your help and suggestions. Done! My system is essentially back to the way it was before the dist-upgrade. Hooray!

Next time, as you suggest, I will pay very careful attention to what the dist-upgrade says it is going to do.

Warm regards,

Angelo Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Jump to: