View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
alexkOffline
15 Post subject: How to allow user write-access to mounted filesystems (Solv)  PostPosted: 08.12.2013, 00:12

My user can mount disk partitions in Dolphin, but only read them, not write to them, which isn't of much use to me. I have tried changing mount authorizations in /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.udisks2.policy but no luck so far, though the settings have an effect (e.g. I no longer need root privileges to mount my drive partitions). Anyone know how to allow a regular user to mount a disk partition with write access in Dolphin?

Last edited by alexk on 08.12.2013, 18:06; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: How to allow user write-access to mounted filesystems?  PostPosted: 08.12.2013, 00:17

I depends…

If you're talking about a UN*X filesystem, chown/ chmod (of the mounted mountpoint) are the way to go.
If you're talking about foreign filesystems (vfat, ntfs) you need to adapt the mount options (uid/ gid) accordingly.

That said, policykit should allow you access to removable drives already - fixed drives need according fstab entries.

alexkOffline
Post subject: RE: How to allow user write-access to mounted filesystems?  PostPosted: 08.12.2013, 04:36

I'm only trying to mount ext4 partitions of my primary hard disk. chown/chmod works, but I have to issue the commands as root every time I mount a partition, whether in Dolphin or on the command line. Is there a way around doing that? With the default policykit configuration, I have to give the root password to mount the partition in Dolphin (even with user or users option in fstab) unless my user has sudo privileges, in which case I have to give the user password, but then I still can't write to the partition, which is weird after authenticating.

hubiOffline
Post subject: RE: How to allow user write-access to mounted filesystems?  PostPosted: 08.12.2013, 12:55

Does it work when "defaults" is the only option in /etc/fstab

alexkOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: How to allow user write-access to mounted filesystem  PostPosted: 08.12.2013, 18:04

slh wrote:
If you're talking about a UN*X filesystem, chown/ chmod (of the mounted mountpoint) are the way to go.

My bad, this was the solution. I hadn't done a chown/chmod on the mounted partition, only on the mountpoint.

I found out the user/users fstab options are overruled by org.freedesktop.udisks2.policy with udisks2, when not using mount commands directly, e.g. using dolphin or udisksctl.

Jump to: