View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ruebe99Offline
Post subject: virtualbox fails to start a VM  PostPosted: 07.10.2014, 20:47

virtualbox fails with

"Für die virtuelle Maschine Aptosid konnte keine neue Sitzung eröffnet werden.

The virtual machine 'Aptosid' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1.

Fehlercode:NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Komponente:Machine
Interface:IMachine {480cf695-2d8d-4256-9c7c-cce4184fa048}"

so something is missing in latest kernel:

Host/Kernel/OS "Cucumber10" running Linux 3.17-0.slh.1-aptosid-amd64 x86_64 [ aptosid 2011-03 Πόνος - kde-lite - (201112312100) ]
CPU Info 4x Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 6144 KB cache flags( sse3 ht nx lm vmx ) clocked at [ 2000.000 MHz ]
Videocard Intel 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [ ]
Network cards Intel 82567LM-3 Gigabit
Processes 252 | Uptime 12min | Memory 2106.8/7829.0MB | HDD ST31000528AS,SanDisk SDSSDX12,Basics Desktop

Reply with quote Back to top
sid.dhartaOffline
Post subject: RE: virtualbox fails to start a VM  PostPosted: 12.10.2014, 08:21

The Virtualbox kernel modules (virtualbox-dkms) currently in sid are incompatible with kernel 3.17, however there's a small patch that fixes the modules compilation. I followed the following instructions:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/12325 ... irtualbox/

and now I can start VMs from kernel 3.17.

Regards

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: virtualbox fails to start a VM  PostPosted: 12.10.2014, 17:34

If your hardware supports h/w virtualisation, please give qemu (kvm) a test instead. VirtualBox is no longer in Debian/main (as it depends on a non-free assembler to build its BIOS emulation and therefore fails the dfsg requirements for main), which makes it unsupported/ unsupportable by us.

ruebe99Offline
Post subject: RE: virtualbox fails to start a VM  PostPosted: 16.10.2014, 22:20

I don't agree - I'm running several fully licenced MS boxes. No way to migrate. I tried a lot of variants to get a migration running
VBoxManage clonehd --format RAW Aptosid.vdi Aptosid.img
but all failed.
Better hints?
Cheers

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: virtualbox fails to start a VM  PostPosted: 16.10.2014, 23:58

I don't quite parse what you disagree with.
- "VirtualBox is no longer in Debian/main" is a fact, which is hard to disprove
- "which makes it unsupported/ unsupportable by us" is an immediate result of the above, as we explicitly only cover dfsg-free software.

The rest is merely a suggestion to try something else, namely qemu (kvm), we can (and do) support. Besides this point that qemu is part of Debian/main and the upstream linux kernel (as such it isn't supposed to have the upgrade issues you're noticing with VirtualBox here), it also has additional features (like performance) which might make it worth it on its own account (of course it also has disadvantages, like no pretty GUI).

Now I do understand that you might have difficulties to migrate existing virtual machines from VirtualBox to qemu(-kvm), but you don't actually explain in which way the migration fails for you (not that we could actually do windows support here) - but the web and your favourite search engine certainly has several howtos explaining the migration steps to convert various Windows versions from one virtual machine solution to another (one hint would be "mergeide.reg").

hyOffline
Post subject: RE: virtualbox fails to start a VM  PostPosted: 18.10.2014, 11:09

I ran into the same problem. I installed qemu, qemu-launcher, qemuctl and i am not able to launch any virtualmachines.
In qemu-launcher pressing the launch button (after editing the parameters) results in the default help that qemu displays when started with no parameters.
Obviously something is wrong here.
The qemu-launcher issues the following command:
      Code:

/usr/bin/qemu-i386 -loadvm '/media/work/vbox/vbox_xp1_20120825-disk1.vmdk' -boot c -m 128 -hda '/media/work/vbox/vbox_xp1_20120825-disk1.vmdk' -net nic,vlan=0 -net user,vlan=0 -localtime -full-screen

towoOffline
Post subject: RE: virtualbox fails to start a VM  PostPosted: 18.10.2014, 11:40

-m 128
You're joking, or?
Xp with 128 MiB of ram, will never start.

hyOffline
Post subject: RE: virtualbox fails to start a VM  PostPosted: 18.10.2014, 13:19

I have used other values as well...

ruebe99Offline
Post subject: RE: virtualbox fails to start a VM  PostPosted: 18.10.2014, 21:54

Windows/ seems to be operational - minor updates & reboot was sucessfull
LXDE - du and reboot worked but strange behavior: no way to shut it down
OpenSuSE - hangs. varying memory did not solve

so migration is only a choice at urgent cases

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: virtualbox fails to start a VM  PostPosted: 18.10.2014, 22:32

Semi-recent linux guests shouldn't have any trouble with migrating back and forth, at worst you'll have to teach the guest about its new/ different MAC address. Older linux guests might need more manual adaptions (like X.org settings, fixing fstab (ideally to use UUIDs), the more you go back in history, the worse it gets).

Windows is quite a bit more picky, but mergeide.reg and deinstalling the virtualbox guest additions should go a long way, followed by some minor reconfiguration afterwards. Which emulation settings are best for windows depends a lot on its version and which (emulated) hardware it works with best. For testing I've migrated an ancient windows 2000 vbox VM I had not used in ages to kvm, which was quite uneventful.

For all kinds of guests, there are multiple minor settings to tweak behaviour (like preventing the mouse cursor from getting caught in the window, using virtio drivers where possible, optimising networking settings to your needs). While there are several GUI or management frontends to qemu, personally I'm sticking to plain qemu so far.

towoOffline
Post subject: RE: virtualbox fails to start a VM  PostPosted: 19.10.2014, 10:12

I do not see the problem, remove all vbox packages from debian repo, download the package from oracle, install it, be happy because of now is working.

Jump to: