View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
hyOffline
15 Post subject: System unbootable after d-u - solved  PostPosted: 15.06.2014, 21:07

[Edit]
Please read the last post of this thread if your system hangs after d-u. It might not be related to your problem but transistion to systemd is in progress ...

Original post:
---------------------

Hi, after todays d-u my system is unbootable.

Before d-u I was reading http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2787. And because I had the same problem. So I followed advice of yossarian and installed policykit-1 (though it was set to hold as in the description of alexk). After that I installed libpam-systemd. Then I did a regular d-u.
After rebooting I got:

Code:
5.8xxxx systemd-fstab-generator[169] Failed to create mount unit /file/run/systemd/generator/media-wc.mount as it already exists. Duplicate entry in /etc/fstab?

Then it is stated that the process ended with exit code 1

Another message I had on every boot before: "can't ioremap flush page = no chipset flushing..."

Then:
Bluetooth: Can't get version to change...
Bluetooth: loading patch file failed.

... and then: "Welcome to emergency mode ..."
I can log in as root.
What can I do to examine the problem - and solve it?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by hy on 19.06.2014, 18:50; edited 2 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: System unbootable after d-u  PostPosted: 15.06.2014, 21:14

While probably not the problem at hand, please also look at http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2794.

This particular error looks like a problem with your fstab, please check it for validity and temporarily remove all non-essential entries (remote filesystems and pure data partitions you don't need for the system itself). systemd is considerably more sensitive to wrong fstab entries than sysvinit, forgotten (no longer existing swap) partitions or other problems easily break booting, while they were quickly ignored by sysvinit.

hyOffline
Post subject: RE: System unbootable after d-u  PostPosted: 15.06.2014, 21:59

Hi slh, thanks for your quick response.
I removed unneeded stuff from fstab and the first error vanished.
The bluetooth error persists and then system hangs for 20 minutes until the recovery shell appears.
I will try the recommendations tomorrow. Thanks a lot.

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: System unbootable after d-u  PostPosted: 15.06.2014, 22:02

If you don't need bluetooth, you can try to purge bluez and bluedevil. Even if you do need it, I'd probably start by purging it and then adding the required packages back, to pinpoint what/ when it starts acting up (bluetooth doesn't create any problems over here).

hyOffline
Post subject: RE: System unbootable after d-u  PostPosted: 15.06.2014, 22:04

I found a severe error in log (journalctl -xb) that says a process called plymouth failed spawning. I am too tired now to type all from the other screen (ssh is being refused). So I will try tomorrow.

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: System unbootable after d-u  PostPosted: 15.06.2014, 22:10

plymouth is a bootsplash like service, which is completely optional. In the context of systemd, it can be used to mux the output from all the dæmons running in parallel and serialising their output, just as well as doing graphics stuff - but it's not required in any way (and shouldn't be a problem here).

hyOffline
Post subject: RE: System unbootable after d-u  PostPosted: 16.06.2014, 09:18

I followed the recommendations in the thread - but to no avail.
Any of the apt-get commands
and also apt-get f install ... or other results in an error:
failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket no such file or directory
I think I will have to reinstall my box.
BTW my last d-u was about 3 weeks ago

hyOffline
Post subject: Problem persists after clean install from hesperides  PostPosted: 16.06.2014, 12:36

Hi,
I have made a new install from hesperides (kde full 686)

then I did the recommended:
      Code:
apt-get update
 apt-get install sysvinit
 apt-get install --purge systemd-sysv libpam-systemd
 apt-get dist-upgrade

After restarting I got an error at
Bluetooth: Firmware file ath3k-1.fw not found
Then system hangs and emergency console is being started after some minutes.

apt-get remove bluetooth didn't change anything.
Can't apt-get ath3k-k1.fw
cause the network is not available in emergency mode.
any help apreciated.

[Edit:]
during installation I got a message that some firmwarefiles are required. I confirmed and then there were some files downloaded.
But while doing the actual d-u after installation there was a message that still firmware files are missing...
So if you think that editing the sources list b4 d-u I'd try another reinstall - with recommendations regarding content of sources.list.

Last edited by hy on 16.06.2014, 13:07; edited 1 time in total

finottiOffline
Post subject: RE: Problem persists after clean install from hesperides  PostPosted: 16.06.2014, 13:07

Did you try purging bluez and bluedevil?

You can also download the firmware DEB package in a different system and manually install it with "dpkg -i". Just a couple of ideas...

hyOffline
Post subject: RE: Problem persists after clean install from hesperides  PostPosted: 16.06.2014, 13:13

I did also remove bluez and bluedevil. Where can I download the missing firmware.
Tried: http://pkgs.org/debian-squeeze/debian-b ... l.deb.html
But there the download does't work.

finottiOffline
Post subject: RE: Problem persists after clean install from hesperides  PostPosted: 16.06.2014, 16:21

Maybe here:

http://mirror.nexcess.net/debian/pool/n ... e-nonfree/

hyOffline
Post subject: RE: Problem persists after clean install from hesperides  PostPosted: 16.06.2014, 17:04

Thanks to all who helped me (in the middle of soccer world cup). Anyway I needed another complete reinstall and after the second attempt it worked. Obviously the problem was in the firmware that did not install properly.
ATM I try to set up everything as I need it (config backups available).
One last question. Can't install sux - seems the package has vanished. I am helping myself with kdesu <xapp> meanwhile.

hyOffline
Post subject: RE: Problem persists after clean install from hesperides  PostPosted: 17.06.2014, 10:32

Aaaarrgh. After reinstalling everything yesterday and booting the machine today the problem was there again.
I do not know what to do...

hyOffline
Post subject: the final solution  PostPosted: 19.06.2014, 18:42

After four days of doing nothing else than reinstalling (incrementally) my system I have narrowed down the problem.

In order to provide some useful information I will try to depict my solution - which might not apply to your system.

Description of problem:
To put it in a nutshell my system was unbootable after a d-u on sunday june, 15.

After some failures of getting it up and running I reinstalled the machine completely from hesperides ... which resulted in the same problem.

I posted that problem here and slh pointed me to the thread:
dist-upgrade after install from 2013-1 ends in segfault
The solution there was;
      Code:

apt-get update
apt-get install sysvinit
apt-get install --purge systemd-sysv libpam-systemd
apt-get dist-upgrade

I tried that. Did a d-u. Everything was fine. I installed some required programms ... did a reboot. And then the problem bit me again.
System hung after boot with error messages that weren't related to the actual problem (as it turned out to be...)

Querying aptosid IRC channel while soccer world-cup was not very helpful at first. Ok, some folks tried to provide answers and somebody pointed me to this thread where systemd-shim should be installed.

Meanwhile I installed a complete new system from scratch to a SD-card and when it worked I moved the system from SD-card to my hard disk. I am on a very slow line here and just getting the files for a d-u (from hesperides) takes hours.
Finally I succeeded with systemd-shim.

In my case there have also been some issues with firmware (at least I think so).
The required firmware for my system is realtek and atheros.
But the atheros stuff should not be a problem. At least I could activate the network from emergency console.

But if you encounter problems and are having realtek firmware my guess would be that you'd be better off using systemd-shim instead of systemv...
Hoping that this post will be useful for somebody out there.

Greetings from spain

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: the final solution  PostPosted: 19.06.2014, 20:43

The firmware blob you were missing initially was for a bluetooth device (Atheros ath3k) - and coincidentally your early problems were also talking about bluetooth problems. Therefore my advice was to (at least temporarily) remove the bluetooth related packages from your system and to confirm if that helps, starting from there it would have been possible to debug the problem (e.g. it wouldn't be surprising if the bluez systemd unit fails fatally, if the according firmware can't be loaded - but all of my bluetooth devices don't require any firmware, so I can't test that specific issue). If that is the case, it would be a bug in the according bluetooth systemd unit that needs to be fixed, rather than circumvented via systemd-shim. systemd-shim is a temporary bandaid, which will break hard once the systemd maintainers upgrade to logind >= 205 (any day now), which isn't a solution and should not be used.

Just, without targetted debugging on the affected system, there's little chance that it will be fixed (but it's safe to assume that non-systemd linux-any will break hard very soon).

Jump to: