View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cookdavOffline
Post subject: RESOLVED: For package 'h264enc', I get size-mismatch...  PostPosted: 08.10.2010, 20:33

Just tried an upgrade today (on 32-bit aptosid), and I
get a file size-mismatch:

Failed to fetch **removed**/pool/m ... .0_all.deb Size mismatch

"*removed" and/or "..." is:
pool/main/h/h264enc/h264enc_9.2.8-0.0_all.deb

The repository in question is:

# **removed** sources added by exoodles
deb **removed**/ unstable main non-free

[I tried deleting the file downloaded into '...partial', and
re-tryed the download, but it fails the same way again.]

Anyone else seeing this? Ideas on how to fix?

Last edited by cookdav on 10.10.2010, 23:11; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
BelaLugosiOffline
Post subject: RE: For package  PostPosted: 08.10.2010, 20:50

that repo is not a part of debian nor aptosid! using that report can result in an unusable system! I recommend to disable it and try the dist-upgrade again.

cookdavOffline
Post subject: RE: For package  PostPosted: 08.10.2010, 21:02

Yes, already did that (temporarily) to get all the other upgrades to process.

But, of course, when I re-enable that multimedia repository, I'm back at:

The following packages will be upgraded:
h264enc (9.2.6-0.0 => 9.2.8-0.0)
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

with the same size-mismatch issue.

So, ignoring for a moment whether that repo is 'blessed/approved' or not, just
exactly what does such a 'size-mismatch' result from, and is there a workaround?

[I gotta suspect that SOME other sidux users also use this repo, and thus are
encountering (or will encounter) this same issue.]

hubiOffline
Post subject: RE: For package  PostPosted: 08.10.2010, 22:01

The recommendation for third party repositories is: disable them for dist-upgrades. So I moved the thread to "Software". Unless a user can provide a solution have a look at the site or mailing list of the repo provider.

The address of this particular multimedia repo we do not want to have published on our official website for legal reasons regarding the offered DVD descrambling software. Thank you for understanding our point of view not having 100 lawyers to support us being vendors of a free OS and free software.

There is no objection to discuss this topic or repo privatly on our IRC channels.

hubi

se7enOffline
Post subject: RE: For package  PostPosted: 09.10.2010, 01:36

Same package, same problem here.
I do not know if that is a proper work around but after dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/h264 the rest was installable without any errors.

DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: For package  PostPosted: 09.10.2010, 05:27
Team Member

This error can tell you a lot, but it should tell you at least that you shouldn't install this package!

The only acceptable workaround is to ignore the package.

A size-mismatch can have multiple reasons, non of them is good: A broken download, a man in the middle attack, a compromised archive or just a lazy archive maintainer uploading packages with the same version number multiple times without updating the metadata…

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: For package  PostPosted: 09.10.2010, 07:09
Team Member

Just to add, we have recently changed our forum word filter to provide a clickable link with a friendly explanation here, and there is also Blog article here explaining it. Please use those 2 links as a reference.

Besides those legal issues you can read up there, the OT topic now is also a good example for our reasons to advise people not to use this repository because of it's bad packaging quality - and specially not dist-upgrading against it.

So, after looking at legal and technical problems, you should really re-evaluate if you actually "need" anything from this repository (in many cases the the answer will be "no", because there are working alternatives in Debian/aptosid). If there are 1 or 2 packages remaining you cannot live without (e.g. a single library or a single codecs), download and copy them maually into your system.

Greetings,
Chris

Last edited by slam on 11.10.2010, 06:58; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
cookdavOffline
Post subject: RE: For package  PostPosted: 10.10.2010, 23:10

[Seems most everyone is side-stepping the elephant in the room...i.e. what repository
one SHOULD BE getting their multi-media apps from, given that they've chosen to
use sidux (aka aptosid).]

[My answer to the elephant: The 'exoodles' script is doing the right thing...
'unstable' multimedia repo IS the correct choice.]

At any rate, the point is now moot.

The problem seems to have been fixed. Whoever made
the goof (when they checked in the "h264enc" package code change) has recfified the
problem.

The upgrade of that package NOW succeeds. Happily, I will now mark this thread resolved.

Cheers...

Dave

LAPTOP#2: Win-7/aptosid
Video: Intel4

DESKTOP: aptosid/antiX-8.5/Win-XP

piperOffline
Post subject: RE: For package  PostPosted: 14.10.2010, 20:39

Actually "it" is not doing the right thing, using exoodles or multimedia repos for "example" will remove (installing mythtv) ffmpeg and libavfilter0, which will also mess up kaffeine (can't play some files, wmv, etc) and will make it crash with

Code:
Executable: kaffeine-xbu PID: 1140 Signal: 11 (Segmentation fault)

if trying to play those files

In the long run, choose your apps and repos carefully, weigh out what you need or don't need, be ready for a "break" when doing a du using this apps and/or repos, I chose mythtv over ffmpeg, others may not like losing
ffmpeg

Code:
root@x1:/home/piper# apt-get install mythtv  mythtv-themes libmythtv-perl mythtv-perl mythvideo mythweather  mythmusic mythgallery mythgame mythtv-doc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  libavcodec52 libavcore0 libavdevice52 libavfilter1 libavformat52 libavutil50 libclass-inspector-perl
  libclass-singleton-perl libconvert-binhex-perl libcrypt-ssleay-perl libdate-manip-perl
  libdatetime-format-strptime-perl libdatetime-locale-perl libdatetime-perl libdatetime-timezone-perl libfaac0
  libfcgi-perl libhtml-parser-perl libhtml-tagset-perl libhtml-tree-perl libimage-size-perl libio-socket-ssl-perl
  libio-stringy-perl liblist-moreutils-perl libmailtools-perl libmime-tools-perl libmjpegtools-1.9 libmp3lame0
  libmyth-0.23.1-0 libnet-ssleay-perl libnet-upnp-perl libopencore-amrnb0 libopencore-amrwb0 libossp-uuid-perl
  libossp-uuid16 libparams-validate-perl libpostproc51 libquicktime1 libsoap-lite-perl libswscale0 libtask-weaken-perl
  libva1 libvdpau1 libwww-perl libx264-104 libxml-libxml-perl libxml-namespacesupport-perl libxml-parser-perl
  libxml-sax-perl libxml-simple-perl libxvidcore4 libyaml-syck-perl mythtv-backend mythtv-common mythtv-database
  mythtv-frontend python-mythtv transcode ttf-bitstream-vera ttf-dustin
Suggested packages:
  libdata-dump-perl perlmagick libio-socket-inet6-perl uuid libapache2-mod-perl2 libnet-jabber-perl libmime-lite-perl
  nvidia-vdpau-driver vdpau-driver mythweb
Recommended packages:
  libnet-libidn-perl libhtml-format-perl libxml-sax-expat-perl sdlmame xmltv-util sox mjpegtools twolame transcode-doc
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  ffmpeg libavfilter0
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libavcore0 libavfilter1 libavutil50 libclass-inspector-perl libclass-singleton-perl libconvert-binhex-perl
  libcrypt-ssleay-perl libdate-manip-perl libdatetime-format-strptime-perl libdatetime-locale-perl libdatetime-perl
  libdatetime-timezone-perl libfaac0 libfcgi-perl libhtml-parser-perl libhtml-tagset-perl libhtml-tree-perl
  libimage-size-perl libio-socket-ssl-perl libio-stringy-perl liblist-moreutils-perl libmailtools-perl
  libmime-tools-perl libmjpegtools-1.9 libmp3lame0 libmyth-0.23.1-0 libmythtv-perl libnet-ssleay-perl libnet-upnp-perl
  libopencore-amrnb0 libopencore-amrwb0 libossp-uuid-perl libossp-uuid16 libparams-validate-perl libquicktime1
  libsoap-lite-perl libtask-weaken-perl libva1 libvdpau1 libwww-perl libx264-104 libxml-libxml-perl
  libxml-namespacesupport-perl libxml-parser-perl libxml-sax-perl libxml-simple-perl libxvidcore4 libyaml-syck-perl
  mythgallery mythgame mythmusic mythtv mythtv-backend mythtv-common mythtv-database mythtv-doc mythtv-frontend
  mythtv-perl mythtv-themes mythvideo mythweather python-mythtv transcode ttf-bitstream-vera ttf-dustin
The following packages will be upgraded:
  libavcodec52 libavdevice52 libavformat52 libpostproc51 libswscale0
5 upgraded, 65 newly installed, 2 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 74.9MB of archives.
After this operation, 155MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

Jump to: