Rootserver Sponsor

webtropia"

Donations

Please support your operating system's further development:

donate"

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
tsapiOffline
Post subject: nvidia driver - module doesn't load with kernel 3.19.0-1.slh  PostPosted: 15.03.2015, 11:57

Hallo everybody!

I just d-upgraded my father's pc, which was not upgraded for quite some looong time.

When I rebooted, X did not come up.

Trying to track the problem, I found that the nvidia module (the proprietary from nvidia) doesn't get loaded, because it does not exist.

When I run dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-kernel-dkms I receive an error.

Nvidia driver version: 340.65 - kernel 3.19.0-1.slh.3

I googled the problem and it is seems to be already known. There is also some solution, which is beyond, what I can understand / do. Have a look here please: http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=5382.0

Is there any workaround, or must I wait for new versions?

Thanks a lot in advance for any input / help.

tsapi

Reply with quote Back to top
hyOffline
Post subject: RE: nvidia driver - module doesn  PostPosted: 19.03.2015, 11:42

There is a new reply in the siduction forum. Maybe you give it a try:
      Quote:

I added this line to my siduction.list to fix the issue for me.

Code: [Select]

deb http://packages.siduction.org/fixes unstable main contrib non-free

But I don't know if the repo mentioned is stable. So you should probably only insert it for solving the problem and remove it after the issue is fixed.
Maybe towo knows more.

DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: nvidia driver - module doesn  PostPosted: 20.03.2015, 12:36
Team Member

No need for any thirdparty repo. Debian unstable (aka sid) as well as experimental have since 18th the patch for their respective driver series. So a simple dist-upgrade (with a good mirror) should be all you need.

Note that aptosid doesn't provide official support for non-free software as evident by e.g our repository which hasn't a non-free component. So even if we wanted to we couldn't provide fixed packages. And we really don't want to as non-free is meant to be painful to use. Not by us, but by the companies producing it, so as long as they can keep being a pain in the ass and still sell there stuff you literally get what you pay for.

Also note that dkms isn't what is suggested by the manual – and totally outside of my knowledge base. Over at the german offspring of this forum as well as on IRC I had provided a short hint on how to fix that mess temporarily with m-a/dmakms which the manual uses. Desperate the similar name (dkms vs dmakms) the ideology of how they operate is different through, so such a response wouldn't have helped you… (I know that many people like dkms better, so I am not fighting it, I am just not supporting it as I know next to nothing about it…)

Jump to: