Rootserver Sponsor

webtropia"

Donations

Please support your operating system's further development:

donate"

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ganymedOffline
Post subject: Can't use ceni [Solved]  PostPosted: 18.06.2015, 12:56

Howdy!
Installed realtek-firmware and plugged in a proper USB-WLAN device. It comes up as wlan1 and can be seen using iwconfig. Yet, ceni doesn't report any hardware interfaces (No values) and thus I can't configure the device using ceni. Anyone know what's wrong or missing maybe?

Last edited by ganymed on 19.06.2015, 12:06; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
titanOffline
Post subject: RE: Can  PostPosted: 18.06.2015, 19:00

I believe ceni no longer works because of recent changes with systemd. I purged it along with ifupdown ( which is being depreciated within Debian, well maybe ) I tried a few alternatives and found connman works well, there are a few front ends for it, I use cmst which is qt and works fine on both my desktop and laptop (wifi)

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Can  PostPosted: 18.06.2015, 20:04

Ceni should be fixed again since this early morning (ceni 2.32). Also keep in mind that Ceni only provides a (cli-) GUI to help configuring ifupdown. Ceni is not necessary to use existing ifupdown configurations, which can also easily be configured by hand.

From its very design, Ceni isn't really meant to be used all the time. It's more of a one-shot tool to configure your networking once and for all, when it comes to switching between different network profiles or dynamically changing the network configuration, its abilities are rather limited.

Medium to long term (probably in stages), systemd-networkd will take over as default means of configuring network interfaces. But while it offers huge improvements, it's not a full-featured replacement for ifupdown yet (especially when it comes to enabling/ disabling alternate network configurations - like switching from wlan (not supported by Debian's wpasupplicant packages at all for now) to ethernet). If your system only uses wired interfaces and rarely needs changes to its network configuration, by all means, use the advantages networkd, resolved, and timedated provide - it's worth it, but it doesn't fit all common use cases (especially on mobile devices) yet.

ganymedOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 19.06.2015, 12:20

Thanks - now that was a very voluminous reply...far more information than I had expected I must admit. Needed ceni to quickly establish a short test WLAN connection, and now that ceni is working again that mission could be accomplished within less than a minute. Very Happy

LatOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 20.06.2015, 00:47

Yes, slh's replies are always very informative, and very appreciated!

Jump to: