Rootserver Sponsor

webtropia"

Donations

Please support your operating system's further development:

donate"

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
alexkOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: d-u wtih some problems  PostPosted: 19.09.2015, 03:35

No big upgrade problems here in the last 2 weeks, let a few more unneeded packages go and managing without Digikam.
      BT wrote:
      Code:
plasma-desktop-data : Breaks: kde-config-touchpad (< 4:5) but 0.8.1-2 is to be installed

Perhaps:
      Code:
apt-get purge kde-config-touchpad

apt-cache show kde-config-touchpad     
Package: kde-config-touchpad
Source: plasma-desktop
Version: 4:5.4.1-1
Installed-Size: 54
Maintainer: Debian/Kubuntu Qt/KDE Maintainers <debian>
Architecture: all
Depends: plasma-desktop
Description-en: transitional dummy package
 This is a transitional dummy package. It can safely be removed.

Reply with quote Back to top
snvvOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: d-u wtih some problems  PostPosted: 15.10.2015, 23:17

Hello
Is there any news about the KDE upgrade?
Currently I update the system with upgrade and not dist-upgrade and I am thinking to install another desktop.
Any suggestions of how to proceed.
There are many months since the last propped DU and I am afraid we may face security problems.
Regards

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: d-u wtih some problems  PostPosted: 18.10.2015, 18:43

I really don't understand this question. Upgrading is possible for a couple of weeks now (except for digikam, kipi-plugins and calligra/ koffice, neither of these will be fixed soon) and mostly works, even though KDE5 stills has a couple of rough corners.

vinurOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: d-u wtih some problems  PostPosted: 18.10.2015, 20:41

Well for what it is worth.
I have been doing full D-U for weeks now. No issues beyond what slh says.
really.

cheers

snvvOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: d-u wtih some problems  PostPosted: 23.10.2015, 16:15

Ok I dist-upgrade
Only serious problem is sddm does not shout down the system. I have to go in command line and issue shutdown -h now.

Second, less serious problem I don’t like sddm Smile I would like the KDM back

Third I have to familiarize myself with the "new" environment.

Otherwise everyting else seems to work.

Thank you for remind me to DU.

manulOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: d-u wtih some problems  PostPosted: 23.10.2015, 17:52

snvv wrote:
Ok I dist-upgrade
Only serious problem is sddm does not shout down the system. I have to go in command line and issue shutdown -h now

Use kdm, it works.

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: d-u wtih some problems  PostPosted: 23.10.2015, 18:27

kdm is not going to be an option any longer.

Upstream development of kdm has ceased quite some time ago, so there are no bugfixes or adaptions (nor a port to qt5!) to be expected anymore. Even worse, kdm in Debian currently has no integration into systemd (it doesn't ship a systemd unit == a systemd specific start 'script'), but systemd requires this from any display manager these days (Debian jessie had a specical compatibility modus, quite a lot of code and effort (and very fragile, borderline broken), to keep unit-less displaymanagers working - and kdm was pretty much the only displaymanager in jessie without systemd support. Considering that there is no upstream development for kdm anymore and taking into account that the kdm sysv initscript had quite some Debian-specific (related to theming and other things) workarounds (generating kdm.conf on the fly, based on input from /etc/default/kdm, etc.), writing a systemd unit for kdm that supports upgrades on systems using these workarounds is far from trivial and the statement of the Debian KDE maintainers is that they won't spend their time on this (which is perfectly understandable).

So no, kdm is no longer a supportable option - and any problems in sddm should be fixed there, instead of falling back to kdm. In the worst case, take a look at lightdm-kde or some other (upstream- and Debian-)supported displaymanager, but not kdm.

manulOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: d-u wtih some problems  PostPosted: 23.10.2015, 20:36

slh & snvv:

Ok I purged kdm and installed lightdm instead.
But lightdm cannot shutdown and reboot too?

After a lot of struggle, I found this somewhat ugly solution: http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-enable-s ... an-jessie/

I followed instructions as per the link - and now lightdm can shutdown/reboot. Pretty sure it will "fix" sddm too.

To all:

1) Does anyone know what is the proper way to override these policies in /etc (instead of ugly editing in /usr which will probably get lost when polkit-1 gets updated/reinstalled)?

2) Is there an UI for editing these policies?

3) Is there a way so I allow these actions only to specific users (i.e. lightdm, my user account) as opposed to generally switching to "yes"?

Thanks in advance for the help.

manul

vinurOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: d-u wtih some problems  PostPosted: 23.10.2015, 22:12

I performed a routine D-U a day ago and the Plasma desktop, for lack of a better term, went away again.
The system itself is somewhat usable with "fluxbox" a backup GUI
And this is important in the land of the unstable, I do have a seperate hard drive in the system with Linux Mint 17.x-(2 ?)KDE which I run to when very much loved aptosid falls down... I hang onto aptosid because it is good, very good. Some applications I use run well in it like bluegriffon 1.7 which by the way will not run in Mint.
I have this ambiguity towards sddm. it may be the future but is it any good - if it is causing such user issues.
KDM is out of life, KDE itself is in a revolution of changing. Plasma 5 behaves like it really is a plasma gas and is elusive in stability. This is a hard spot on a course of the future here, and really aptosid is a out front distro so I am not dissapointed by any means (hot and Spicy) but these are hard times with user interfaces for linux in general going through all of the revolution in parallel with other revolutions of linux internals being dynamically in flux.
I am speaking in really general terms because to try and list all of the specific points of what is changing out of sync with all that is dependent upon all of it to work, is a bit futile. I seem to like the front set of the big bad rollercoaster.

next day edit (see: Plasma stopped working after d-u (fixed by libqt5xcbqpa5)

did not do that exactly as I had that lib.
I noticed that I had libqt5xcbqpa5 but no Plasma - I tried to apt-get to reinstall but something else seemed wrong with what it wanted to remove if I was to reinstall it. just remove permenently...
Lots of things kde5 related. So after a day, I got brave again and went to apt-get after apt update was completed.
I typed in apt-get install kde-full and a lot of applications wanted to both get removed and installed, all seemingly related to KDE.
only 4 new applications other that the large list and nothing about removal without a replacement. it was a matching list.
so i did it - after a complete reboot KDE plasma was back and at this time all seems as it was before.
Plasma 5 is back... don't quite know what it meant but there it is.
all works as far as I can see.

snvvOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: d-u wtih some problems  PostPosted: 26.10.2015, 23:03

slh wrote:

In the worst case, take a look at lightdm-kde or some other (upstream- and Debian-)supported displaymanager, but not kdm.

Hello slh
I installed lightdm but the problem remains. Thus, this seems to be a more generic problem hardly relayted just to sddm.
Regards

snvvOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: d-u wtih some problems  PostPosted: 26.10.2015, 23:14

vinur, you had to reistall just plasma-desktop to get KDE back, but there are so many problems there Sad

manulOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: d-u wtih some problems  PostPosted: 27.10.2015, 15:10

snvv wrote:

I installed lightdm but the problem remains. Thus, this seems to be a more generic problem hardly relayted just to sddm.
Regards

snvv, check my previous post - the link to "no reboot/shutdown/suspend problem" solution for login managers (lightdm, sddm) is there.

Alternatively, if you do not want to change the global policykit policies in /usr (which is temporary fix anyway as these will be overwritten on next policykit upgrade), for "local override approach" you may add/create the a config file as follows
      Code:
root@hpsiddie:/home/manul# cat /etc/polkit-1/rules.d/60-noreboot_norestart.rules
polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
    if (action.id == "org.freedesktop.login1.reboot" ||
        action.id == "org.freedesktop.login1.reboot-multiple-sessions" ||
        action.id == "org.freedesktop.login1.power-off" ||
        action.id == "org.freedesktop.login1.power-off-multiple-sessions" ||
        action.id == "org.freedesktop.login1.suspend" ||
        action.id == "org.freedesktop.login1.suspend-multiple-sessions" ||
        action.id == "org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate" ||
        action.id == "org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate-multiple-sessions") {

// log requests
        polkit.log("action=" + action);
        polkit.log("subject=" + subject);

if (subject.isInGroup("power") ||
            subject.user == "lightdm"  ||
            subject.user == "kdm"  ||
            subject.user == "sddm"  ||
            subject.user == "manul") {

polkit.log("Returned YES for subject=" + subject + " requesting action=" + action);
            return polkit.Result.YES;
        } else {
            return polkit.Result.AUTH_ADMIN_KEEP;
        }
    }
});

For the above alternative "local config override" approach to work, you need to upgrade package policykit-1 to the version from experimental.
"manul" inside the javascript code above is my local username; you should change it to yours.

snvvOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: d-u wtih some problems  PostPosted: 27.10.2015, 17:46

Hello manul
I read your post later. I followed the global way and the problem was solved.
However, I prefer your local solution and I am going to try it.
Thank you.

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: d-u wtih some problems  PostPosted: 05.11.2015, 02:04

The display manager, in particular sddm, not being able to shutdown the system sounds a lot like sysvinit being used instead of systemd. These days sysvinit is no longer an option in Debian, even less for the higher level desktop environments that expect systemd to deal with access credentials (based on policies set by polkit).

But please, start a new thread with one single dedicated topic that can actually be debugged and solved, rather than sticking to this meta thread, which is more and more becoming a mess of completely orthogonal issues that only loosely revolve around KDE.

manulOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: d-u wtih some problems  PostPosted: 06.11.2015, 03:40

slh: with me switching between systemd/sysvinit did not solve the issue at the time.
My apt is set not to install recommended and suggested packages though, not sure if this is related.

Jump to: