View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ikeinthaiOffline
Post subject: usb3 boot incompatibility  PostPosted: 24.10.2010, 07:45

hello all, this isn't a problem with aptosid/asid/asidux, but rather with my motherboard/BIOS.

my puter sees, reads, and writes to my usb2 devices fine when they are connected to the usb3 sockets, but it will not boot from them (either an hdd install to an external disk, or an hdd install to an SDcard).

the puter boots from these devices no problem, when they are plugged in to a usb2 slot. so i am reporting this only in the hopes of saving some fellow users some hair.

i have a GA-880GM-usb3 (Gigabyte, socket am3) motherboard. this motherboard has an sb710 southbridge, so it is able to allow usb3 connectivity (supposedly. i cannot confirm it as i have no usb3 devices) it enables usb3 connectivity thru the 880G northbridge and an NEC D720200F1 usb3 controller.

i have no idea if a BIOS update or fiddling with more of the usb settings in the BIOS will change the failure to boot thru the usb3 connections, as i am happy to plug my devices into the usb2 slots.

i hope this helps someone, ike.

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: