View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
TBMOffline
Post subject: I've tried apt-fast  PostPosted: 12.11.2010, 00:14

I find that for me at least apt-fast doesn't offer any speed improvements, I'm also not sure it is very fair.
Apt-fast is only really going to be helpful to you when the repo is bandwidth limited. Hitting an already hard worked server with multiple concurrent download requests may make your slice of the download pie a little faster but it isn't helpful for other downloaders or the host.
I have recently found another script that I find does offer some useful increase while spreading the load over multiple mirrors. apt-metalink uses (and depends on) aria2 instead of wget/axel and will download a file from all the mirrors in sources.list or in sources.list.d/*.list It also depends on python-apt.
It's a bit rough at the moment and I'm not sure I'd trust it to handoff an actual dist-upgrade but I've been using it for a few weeks to handle the downloads.
apt-metalink dist-upgrade -d

Reply with quote Back to top
mfdemiccoOffline
Post subject: Re: I've tried apt-fast  PostPosted: 18.11.2010, 15:38

TBM wrote:
I find that for me at least apt-fast doesn't offer any speed improvements, I'm also not sure it is very fair.
Apt-fast is only really going to be helpful to you when the repo is bandwidth limited. Hitting an already hard worked server with multiple concurrent download requests may make your slice of the download pie a little faster but it isn't helpful for other downloaders or the host.
I have recently found another script that I find does offer some useful increase while spreading the load over multiple mirrors. apt-metalink uses (and depends on) aria2 instead of wget/axel and will download a file from all the mirrors in sources.list or in sources.list.d/*.list It also depends on python-apt.
It's a bit rough at the moment and I'm not sure I'd trust it to handoff an actual dist-upgrade but I've been using it for a few weeks to handle the downloads.
apt-metalink dist-upgrade -d

The description for Axel says it can work with multiple mirrors as well a multiple connections to the same server.

TBMOffline
Post subject: Re: I've tried apt-fast  PostPosted: 23.11.2010, 02:54

mfdemicco wrote:
The description for Axel says it can work with multiple mirrors as well a multiple connections to the same server.

Axel can apparently work with multiple mirrors but the man page states that this involves running a search at filesearching.com and then testing the mirror speeds before starting the downloads, for each file.
The apt-fast script doesn't call axel with the -s switch though you could easily change it to do so.

I notice that since I last used apt-fast someone has put up a modified version that uses aria2c - though they don't seem to have updated the comments in the script. The original script maintainer also says he no longer wishes to maintain it.

Jump to: